Prospective PA with Arthritis... I have a question!!!

A brief history of me: I am a 27 yo male, have been a Firefighter/Paramedic for the past 8 years but have been hit hard with arthritis and have been taken out of the station as I can no longer fulfill my duties. I love riding the ambulance (one of the rare ones) and have been on track to go to PA school over the past year to continue my medical career.

Question(s):

1) How long are you guys on your feet on average?

- One of my biggest problems is walking or standing for LONG periods of time and I am concerned about that issue.

2) Have any of you guys/gals ever heard of or seen a disabled PA or doctor? i.e. one that is not necessarily fit enough to constantly be on their feet, but that still has all of the drive and brain power as anyone else.

I have been at a complete loss since I accepted that my true passion (the fire department) was no longer in my future, and as a result I believe that being a PA just fits me. As such, if anyone is thinking of discouraging me from exploring this option in my life please explain to me in detail as to why it truly could not work.

I have a 3.8 GPA, 4.0 science GPA, and should be eligible to apply in Fall of 2014.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.

One thing I love about ER is being able to be up on my feet and moving throughout the entire shift, so for me it's way more than 50% of my shift on my feet, running from room to room, or having to contort myself to do exams or procedures. Even when I'm covering one of our observation units, which is a slower pace with long periods of inactivity, I find excuses to get myself up and walk around the hospital.

If your arthritis is THAT severe, I'd stay away from specialties like ER or anything involving the surgical setting- you need to either move fast, maintain a lot of flexibility or be able to stand in one place for hours at a time. But if you're in primary care at a single clinic, or a specialty that is located at a single clinic with a few rooms, I can't see why you couldn't make it work.

Just remember though- even if your goal is the clinic, you still have to make it through PA school and the required rotations- which includes long stints in the OR and doing ER shifts.

Stay out of the OR, but many other areas would be fine. I'm on my butt too much . I suffer from Sjogrens and it is not a problem but my eyes. One of the greatest doctors I've ever know, and one of the nicest was chair of the whole department of neurology at Mayo Clinic and he had a severe c 3 injury in middle school and nearly a quad (some limited use of his hands). He performed better than most physicians I'm the depart.

Stay out of the OR, but many other areas would be fine. I'm on my butt too much . I suffer from Sjogrens and it is not a problem but my eyes. One of the greatest doctors I've ever know, and one of the nicest was chair of the whole department of neurology at Mayo Clinic and he had a severe c 3 injury in middle school and nearly a quad (some limited use of his hands). He performed better than most physicians I'm the depart.

Yeah, I have Crohns and Ankylosing Spondylitis. Mine is mild though, and doesn't impact me too much. Couldn't do long days in an OR anymore, but otherwise it's all good. I know of whom you speak, and he is an incredible neurologist....

Yeah, I have Crohns and Ankylosing Spondylitis. Mine is mild though, and doesn't impact me too much. Couldn't do long days in an OR anymore, but otherwise it's all good. I know of whom you speak, and he is an incredible neurologist....

Wow, I have Cogan's Syndrome. I see others here have rheumatologic/auto immune conditions.

To the OP, I'm in FP and I can sit all day. Sit in my office, sit when seeing pts and sit during rep lunches lol. You don't have to be on your feet. But in PA school..well let's just say I learned how to catch quick naps standing up. A good pair of shoes were priceless.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

As a PA applicant, review each programs published "Technical Standards" so you know what they expect of you physically.

There are tons of PA jobs where you do not have to be on your feet all day...or that's the rumor us Surgical guys hear.

Check out roadback.org for some really interesting approaches to arthritis, I have seen it work!!

I expect with the Americans with Disabilities Act, provisions will be made for your arthritis while in PA school. Yes, avoid OR and ER as a career, but there are plenty of other choices. I have OA and have managed to work full time, 12 hour shifts in both a hospital and subacute rehab center. Getting knee replacement in 2 weeks and still working right up to the day before.

Best of luck to you!

I am in Sports Medicine, in the OR 2.5 days and clinic 2.5 days. I would avoid Orthopedics entirely as I am litterally RUNNING through the hospital on most days and rarely have time to sit due to performing exams on people in clinic and NEVER sitting on an OR day. The OR has caused me to have horrible arthritic pain in my fingers and thumbs from holding retractors during 12 hour days (to the point where I sometimes can't even open a jar for myself) and I'm developing rotator cuff tears in both shoulders from the doing the same. I'm 42, healthy and fit otherwise, with no other medical conditions and now I am having to come to terms with the fact that my body won't hold out for a continued career in Orthopedics.

Archived