RNs becoming PAs and not NPs

I think the noctors will own the primary care advanced practice clinician market while the PAs will own the inpt/er/surgical market.

Nope...

Physicians already "OWN" this and ain't selling... !!!!!

... there is nothing, however, stopping a noctor from opening their own office and saying " I'm dr smith".

And there SHOULDN'T be... nor should there be rules or Laws prohibiting ANYONE from being addressed by the degrees/credentials that they earned...

Physicians don't exclusively own the word "doctor"...!!!

Nope...

Physicians already "OWN" this and ain't selling... !!!!!

read what I wrote again: "the advanced practice clinician market" ( that would be PAs and NPs).obviously docs own the whole show....

I would have no problem with " Hi, I'm Dr. smith, one of the NPs here" but homestly, in our culture if someone in a white coat says "I'm dr smith" you assume MD/DO.

Naaah... I ask 'what their doctorate is concentrated on"... if they say medicine... cool, if they say political science... cool.

Also... OK.... but Physicians ARE the epitome of "Advanced Practice Clinicians" right...???

But I now understand that you did intend to separate them out...

(Which kinda doesn't make sense... SINCE we have to have Physicians to practice)

Anywho....

Just because the physicians were successful in tricking the society into the notion that the ONLY "Doctors" have to be physicians... doesn't make it right or seem like a good reason to continue the trend.

As as soon to be "Dr."... I'm hoping you overstand this...

Until she hears us laughing at her.

"Are you a 'real' Doctor, or a Doctor Pepper type doctor?".

Kinda silly since all "Real Doctors" include ANYONE who has completed a Doctorate degree...

Now anyone but med school grad using the title "Physicians"... well YOU know...

Healthcare has been delivered by a TEAM of Physician and Non-Physician "Doctors" for atleast 70 yrs...

Please STOP PERPETUATING THE NONSENSICAL "God Complex"...

I see what you are saying but I don't like the term "midlevel" so used APC instead.

my plan is to only use the "doctor" title in non-clinical situations(teaching, writing articles, etc). if I worked in a practice that was ok with me using it I would say " Hi, I'm Dr. Emedpa, one of the PAs here" but don't see that happening. another pa in my group with a PhD was almost fired a few years ago for introducing themselves as Dr lastname...and a pt complained when they figured out they had not seen a physician....

You know as well as I do that a HUGE portion of our patients are STUPID....!!!

Most folks think PA are MAs...

For the most part.... we don't play to it, condone it, or perpetuate that notion.

Why do we continue to allow the same folks to continue to believe the nonsense that the ONLY "Doctors" in any hospital... caring for them MUST have completed the 4+4+3 to 5 circuit ...???

Kinda silly since all "Real Doctors" include ANYONE who has completed a Doctorate degree...

Now anyone but med school grad using the title "Physicians"... well YOU know...

Healthcare has been delivered by a TEAM of Physician and Non-Physician "Doctors" for atleast 70 yrs...

Please STOP PERPETUATING THE NONSENSICAL "God Complex"...

No God complex, just acknowledging the vast divide between the 7-11 years of medical education a "real" doctor gets and the 1-3 years of medical education a NP/DNP gets, or the 2-3 years that a PA gets. A residency-trained, board-certified Doctor should be at the HEAD of that TEAM, not a nurse who did 300 hours of additional rotations at her work place and a bunch of on-line management courses.

As to the nomenclature - Stop perpetuating the "equality complex". Noctor's are not equal to Doctors in the health care setting and it is shameful that any of them would present themselves as such.

I pity the first Noctor who tries to get me to call them Doctor in a medical setting. I will agree to it, but only if they agree to call me Master. Or, in my case, they will have to call me Master Master since I have two master degrees.

See how silly referring to our academic degrees in a medical setting is? How about we call our BSN's Bachelor Smith, your nurse? Or our CRNA's Master Jones, your Nurse Anesthetist? How about Vocational Weber, your phlebotomist??

Or, we can keep things as clear as we can for our patients, who should be the focus of our efforts (instead of stroking our own ego's) and only call the "real" Doctors Doctor's.

As far as I can tell, NPs and PAs do pretty much the same exact things in a clinical setting. It really depends on what specialty you want to go into. If you want to go into Psych or Anesthesiology (especially Anesthesiology), go with the NP route. I am a senior nursing student right now and will be starting PA school this summer. It was not an easy decision for me. I went back and forth between DNP and PA but in the end, I realized that the medical model of training would fit me better, and I love the flexibility to switch between different specialities with my PA degree. I am more interested in the pathophysiology/anatomy of a disease than looking hollistically at a person's health. With the NP/or DNP, most program require you to work as an RN before you try to apply to their program. If you want to apply to a CRNA program, most program require at least 1-2 yrs of ICU experience and you can't get any ICU experience unless you have worked on a med/surg unit for a couple years. With PA school, you need at least 1000-2000 hours of direct patient care experience hours, and I was able to use my volunteer and clinical hours for that. Also just an FYI, don't bother bringing up the idea of going into PA school to your nursing professors. They want you to go into an NP/DNP program and will try to talk you out of it. I asked my professors for reference letters for PA school and got rejected. One more thing, the odds of you getting into an NP/DNP program would be slightly better since you only have to compete with other nurses, as opposed to a PA program where you have to compete with a much larger and more diverse pool of applicants.

RNfromAZ,

I'm semester two of seven. I'm really glad I made the decision to go PA rather than NP. Really, if I was wishy-washy about anything, It would be about not going to med school, however, my desire to go to med school stem from illegitimate reasons (money, social status, hot wife ha). Truth is, I really enjoy healthcare and interacting with patients (and sometimes family). NP can be a fast, easy way to get to a cool job, but you will likely lack exposure to fundamental concepts. One can argue that knowledge of these concepts is not necessary to practice and does not improve patient care/outcomes (book smart/street smart concept), but I do not want to practice as a glorified, highly paid technician. I don't think you can go wrong going the PA route. Reply or PM me if you have any questions.

Archived