How much shadowing is enough?

I have about 50 hours of PA shadowing (3 specialties) under my belt and I feel like that is plenty. I am not applying to a single school that has a minimum requirement for shadowing hours. However, I spent a few hours shadowing a PA earlier this week, and she told me that I should plan on shadowing a few times a week for months if I want to have a chance of being admitted. If you ask me, shadowing gets repetitive and boring after a while -- it's not a participatory sport. After a certain point, I really don't see the value in it -- especially when it would force me to sacrifice important study time. If you don't have any direct patient care experience, maybe it's a little more valuable... but that's not the case for me.

What does everyone think about this?

I think it is more about knowing the profession than it is about the number of hours you have shadowed. I only shadowed for 15 hours in the ER, which I know is not a lot. Also my HCE did not allow me to have direct contact with PAs. Not all schools cared about my lack of face-to-face time with PAs, but the schools that did asked me about it in my interview. In fact the school I chose to go to asked me several questions about my dedication to the PA profession, how I knew its the right fit for me, and if I knew what other PA specialities did besides the ER. Since I was able to have a clear answer for all those questions I was still accepted even though I had minimal shadowing hours. However, those people who had a lot of hours were not asked these questions so thats something to keep in mind...

Basically what I am trying to say is the purpose of shadowing is to get a good feel for the profession. I don't think it is necessary to have 100s of shadowing hours in order for you to understand the profession and explain why it is the right fit for you.

Basically what I am trying to say is the purpose of shadowing is to get a good feel for the profession. I don't think it is necessary to have 100s of shadowing hours in order for you to understand the profession and explain why it is the right fit for you.

Well said, Lumina!

• 2 weeks later...

I shadowed at a FP office for 8 hours and was accepted to multiple programs, and with a pretty weak gpa at that. However I worked closely with PAs for about a year. It wasn't a big deal at all. You will be fine, 60 hours is plenty especially considering the fact that ya gotta eat right? ! Lol. Spend your time elsewhere. Best wishes!!

I too have wondered...so far i have shadowed one PA for one day. i intend on shadowing as many more as I can because I need a LOR from one I am certainly not going to ask a PA I shadowed for only a few hours to write me a great LOR....

I work in a hospital but I never see or interact with any PA's or even doctors.

I work the night shift at an extremely busy public hospital. the only time i get a GLANCE at a doctor is during an emergency (which does not happen often) when they quickly walk in and out. Sometimes i work the evening shift, and get to see doctors more often but once again they take a quick peak at the patient then leave and I never see them again.

I think it also has to do with the fact that I do not work in the ER where i Know there are tons of PA's and obviously doctors. I work on regular floors

I work the night shift at an extremely busy public hospital. the only time i get a GLANCE at a doctor is during an emergency when they quickly walk in and out. Sometimes i work the evening shift, and get to see doctors more often but once again they take a quick peak at the patient then leave and I never see them again

what is your job at the hospital?

excuse me for asking, but how is that possible?

It is totally possible because Doctors don't ask CNAs questions about patients, and where I work, don't even make eye contact with CNAs.

I am in the same situation as Jc. CNAs/PCTs do not really interact with doctors/PAs/NPs at all. I have worked on a busy inpatient ortho/med-surg floor and on the Labor & Delivery unit. As a CNA, I really only interact with RNs, and most of my time is spent caring for patients. Plus, I am working in Kansas City, MO where there are hardly any PAs to speak of.

It is totally possible because Doctors don't ask CNAs questions about patients, and where I work, don't even make eye contact with CNAs.

I am in the same situation as Jc. CNAs/PCTs do not really interact with doctors/PAs/NPs at all. I have worked on a busy inpatient ortho/med-surg floor and on the Labor & Delivery unit. As a CNA, I really only interact with RNs, and most of my time is spent caring for patients. Plus, I am working in Kansas City, MO where there are hardly any PAs to speak of.

Exactly. Doctors have no reason to even speak to the CNA's when they arrive on the floor. I have been working at a hospital for about 8 months now and have so far interacted with a doctor ONCE and that was only because he needed me to describe the color of a patient's vomit.

Archived