which science courses are preferred to meet --pre-reqs?

Good Day Folks,

I am a Washington native and Navy Corpsman applying to MEDEX this summer. I have my Bachelors (3.0 GPA) and have taken one science course prior to now (Survey of Inorganic Chem, A-) I am currently going to Bellevue College and taking CHEM 161 (1st of 3 inorganic Chem), BIO 160 (1st of 3), and PSYC 100. I will be taking A&P I and A&P II over spring and summer quarter. I will also be taking Lifespan Psychology one of those quarters as well.

Here is my question: If I go full time, I have room for two more courses before Apps are due- what courses should I take? MEDEX is very non-specific about which courses they want, and I will have already met the minimum requirement, however I want to be as competitive as possible. I also need to meet requirements for other programs as I intend to cast the net far and wide. I was considering CHEM 131 - Intro to O-Chem/BioChem and Microbiology.

I want to be as competitive as possible, and I acknowledge that I am fighting an upstream battle with regard to my GPA. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank You!

I'd concentrate on something that will get your GPA up. I got accepted with BIO 100, Chem 100 and Chem 101 all taken well over a decade ago, and AnP taken recently. Being a WA native and with the military background you're looking like a good applicant already (from what I understand). Good luck!

I would pay attention to your shadowing and HCE if you are near minimum there. Don't underestimate statistics for helping you understand and evaluate evidence based medicine. I wouldn't worry about a 3.0 overall so much as I would just make sure to kill it in your remaining prerequisites. I guess you have to factor in the GRE if you are Master's track but otherwise buff HCE and get a credible (not a career) amount of shadowing so you can demonstrate knowledge of the profession. Take a look at all the elements of your application and make sure you are credible, well rounded and focused on the MEDEX mission.

P. S.: Good Luck!

Archived