Hello, I am new to this thread. I need all the info I can get.

I want to apply to PA school this summer, when does the app season start?

I know I have to take the GRE, what book is the best and how many hours do I need to study.

I have graduated from FAU in Summer 2012.

I have a BA in Biological Sciences. I have a 3.7 overall GPA and a 3.6 sciGPA. All A's and B's.

----- I have to go back to school to take Gen Micro, A and P 1 and 2, Interpersonal Communications, I may also take some other classes to prep

for PA school.

I abt 200 volunteer hours health care and non healthcare

---- I volunteer at Cardid Health Clinic, ROyal Manor Nursing Home and I am a mentor for Palm Beach County.

I was a pre-med so I have shadowed MDs, DOs, and I did shadow an orthopedic PA for 8 hours.

I am starting a CNA course on Monday and should start work as a CNA in March. My mom a RN at a agency so she has the job waiting for me.

Besides the GRE and Health care experience what am I missing?

I am going for the best GRE score but what is the average score. I am African American Female and FL resident.

CASPA opens in Mid-April. I used Kaplan GRE books (both the general one and verbal practice because it was my weakest point) and I thought they were good. Other than the GRE and HCE, you aren't really missing much. You will have to get 3 letters of recomendation, 1 from a PA, so it might be best for you to shadow a PA more so that you can get a little more experience with a PA and hopefully a good letter. If you plan on applying to schools in the upcoming cycle with little HCE, make sure you check what the school's requirements for HCE are that you plan to apply to. Some can be 2000+ hours. Most PA schools look for a score of around 300 or greater on the GRE (from my experiences in asking PA programs that I applied to). Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply.

I live in an area where they are looking for live in CNAs since, I dont have kids, not married and not in school I guess I will do a live in job, that should help me get the hours quickly, before I start school in May, and I guess when I start school in May I will work as many hours as I can for an agency.

My main concern is the GRE verbal ( the text completion and sentence equivalence -- reading comprehension is no problem) and writing section.

Like I mentioned, I purchased the Kaplan Verbal specific book, and it helped me a lot. There is a significant amount of memorizing of vocabulary, or at least there was for me. The writing I didn't find all that challenging as long as you followed the format suggested in the review book, and practiced alot (even though you can't score yourself it is still good to practice in a timed session and see what parts of the writing process you may have difficulty with). Another thing to look at as far as applying to schools is whether the school requires that the prerequisites be completed at the time of application, or at the time of matriculation. This could determine when you are able to apply in the cycle this year, or might mean that you can apply to some schools with your courses in progress, while other schools you will have to wait for your grades to be in to be able to apply.

What happened to med school (you took the MCAT)?

Took the MCAT 1/24/2013 I spent alot of time studying, if my results do not come back well I am going PA.. I realize the MCAT is only the beginning of all the testing and studying and I could not see myself studying for the rest of my life with the boards and such, so I though of NP vs PA school and I decided to go PA instead of NP because I like the physician philosophy but I just don't see how I could be a physician and still live a life.

Archived