Exciting Gap Year Ideas on a Budget

So I've only had two interviews so far, been rejected by one, but it is making me consider what I will do if I don't get in this cycle. Applying is very costly(as you know) and I really don't want to waste another year of my life in the same job living in my parent's house, as I am young and I believe life is too short to waste it doing things you hate. I thought applying for a research job at this prestigious university which would look good on my application but would bore me to tears. I had an idea of doing some work abroad but a lot of international programs cost an arm and a leg to apply. However I also want to add some spice to my life and feel like I'm actually doing some good for humanity instead of wasting months just writing PA school essays again. Any ideas for exciting gap year ideas on a budget(as a backup plan in case I am rejected all around)? Can you guys give me any examples of companies that give jobs or I can show up to a country I have family in and start doing charity work there?

12 hours ago, MCHAD said:

Research at a “prestigious” university is great and all but I’m not sure it would be more valuable than getting good quality, paid,  hands on patient care experience.  

Some schools count research as HCE if it is working with patients. It also pays very well too, but I'd rather have some more "front line" experience.

• Administrator

What is a gap year?  Sounds like a medical school thing.  If you want to be a physician, take a gap year and apply to MD/DO school.  If you want to be a PA, get your hands into direct patient care as an EMT, MA, or something else involving direct patient care.  Also, get direct patient care--see if you actually want to be in direct patient care for an entire career of direct patient care.

Did I mention direct patient care?

If you had already gotten into PA school, there can be a lot of interesting ideas for your remaining time prior to starting PA school if working and saving up money aren't of interest. If your interviews did not transform into acceptances, you're only options are to rack up direct patient contact hours, take advanced science classes (if your cGPA or sGPA is what hindered your acceptance) as well as racking up volunteer hours. There are thousands of students who want the very same seat you'll be reapplying for and you need to have concrete answers to the question "What have you done to make yourself more competitive since the last admission cycle?".

Archived