Non traditional ba degree- no gpa

Hi! I have a non traditional completely online undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited school Thomas Edison state college. I completed my liberal arts degree through testing out clep and dsst. Due to financial and family obligations. Btw I am 24 y/o. And therefore do not have a gpa, due to the fact they are pass and fail. I am applying into post bacc pre med programs. I am studying my butt off for the GRE. Planning on getting a lot of hours shadowing pa's and getting more than required patient hours. I have a lot of volunteer hours. Do I have a chance since I do not have an undergraduate gpa?? But will have a stellar science gpa. Any help muchappreciated!

• Administrator

You'll need strong LORs. In Washington, there are plenty of people going from The Evergreen State College into medical, dental, and PA programs. You'll need strong LORs, experience, etc. to demonstrate that if you DID have a GPA, it would have been in the appropriate range.

(Although, I don't know of any student who's gone from TESC to MEDEX for PA school...)

Thanks Rev, medex bachelor program would work perfectly!! Thanks steve for the remainder, first in the morning, I am planning to call pa schools. I understand how competitive seats are becoming, therefore I would not be surprised if I have to call all hundred plus pa schools. ;) wish me luck. Any other school recommendations??

Medex did just open up a 3rd BS site so that does expand the available seats. I am attending at the Yakima campus. If I remember correctly, their website cites that on average your classmates will have around 6000 hours of HCE. I know in my particular class this last year, that average was a lot closer to 10,000 hours.

On the flip side...they do like diversity. So being a non traditional student may work in your favor, bringing a non traditional view to the table to help balance the medics and such.

That's awesome, thanks for the info Steve. Random, I did not realize how many associate and bachelor pa programs there are available. I understand some hospitals will not accept a pa w/o a masters degree ( in my knowledge). Just worried about the future job search with just a certificate; that's after I get accepted and get licensed. Any thoughts?

Medex HIGHLY encourages their students to get the BS and not settle for just the certificate. I applied with just the bare requisites to get an interview, but I continued to attend community college while waiting for my application to be processed, my interview to take place, and class to start. I was able to finish the rest of the credits that UW requires to enter the BS program. Some of my classmates used the summer break between didactic and clinical year to take accelerated course to finish up those BS credits.

The application season for Medex is currently in a lull, as they have selected the class for next year already. They may have someone available to talk with you now to answer some key questions..like your lack of GPA. There are information sessions in the spring but those are typically pretty crowded and not real great for individual questions of moderate complexity.

I got my BS in liberal studies from TESC and actually received a grade for the one course that i had to take, did you not take the capstone course? I know its just one class but still.

I actually transferred over 117 credits to them so those are the transcripts that CASPA used for my undergrad GPA. As far as my degree being from there i didnt have a problem but again I did have at least one grade from my transcript with them and then 117+ grades from a combo of different transcripts.

I have a BA with no GPA. Luckily my school didnt use CASPA cause I think I would have been screwed otherwise. I had 5000+ hours of experience and a kickass PS and probly descent LOR. The no GPA thing was a hassle at first but I think it may have gotten their attention and helped get an interview.

Archived