New PA at 50+...too old to be hired?

Currently in my 50's, I have applied to PA schools for the last two application cycles. I have gotten interviews but only been placed on one alternate list. I am now at a crossroads trying to decide whether or not to apply again. The only reason I would choose not to is my concern that my age at graduation (late 50's) might deter potential employers from hiring me. Does anyone have any insight regarding this and if it is a valid concern or not? Thanks.

Currently in my 50's, I have applied to PA schools for the last two application cycles. I have gotten interviews but only been placed on one alternate list. I am now at a crossroads trying to decide whether or not to apply again. The only reason I would choose not to is my concern that my age at graduation (late 50's) might deter potential employers from hiring me. Does anyone have any insight regarding this and if it is a valid concern or not? Thanks.

First of all, you should congratulate yourself on getting interviews. This means you have a strong application on paper. You are right to recognize that age is a factor in admissions despite any published statements by adcoms to the contrary. I see two possibilities with the applications. One is that your interview was just the school's effort in trying to appear diversified. The truth is that some interviews are not interviews and the candidate never has a chance. It's a formality. I would look at the admission statistics to see if anyone over 40 has been accepted before. Interview trips are expensive and it's painful if adcoms were not serious to begin with. The other possibility, much more likely, is that the interview was fair but you didn't do well. If you could focus entirely on interview prep that included mock interviews and lots of practice Q&A, I think you could increase your chances. Try to find some younger people, preferably beautiful women in their twenties, who might help you with mock interviewers. Also, remember that you are being watched and observed constantly during the interview day. THere are "plants" in the room who gather information for the adcoms. They might be persons who are acting as interview candidates but in reality they are getting information about you. Act as if your are in a non-stop continuous interview during the interview day. The security guard, the person you see in the bathroom, the custodian, the cafeteria server, the first year student who visits with you. All of them are interviewing you. The adcoms want to ensure that whomever they accept will in fact graduate and make the process smooth for the class and faculty. If you are in your fifties, you may have worked in a career where you were valued for being independent and unique. PA school is about being similar and fitting in well and being liked by students, faculty and preceptors.

I wouldn't worry about getting a job. PAs are in demand. If you graduate and pass the boards, there will be a job as long as you have flexibility regarding specialty and location.

I was 54 when I graduated from PA school. I had a hard time finding my first job even tho I had lots of medical experience, and have had problems changing jobs. (I never had problems finding jobs before.) Therefore, I do feel the age is a big problem. If I had the choice to do over, Im not sure I would go to PA school.

Does anyone else have any insights on this? I'm about to begin PA school and will finish in my late 40s. I'd hate to think that after giving up a pretty good gig, taking on a mountain of loan debt, stressing my wife and kids out (as well as myself!), etc.....after all that to graduate and be unable to find a good PA job.

I think that it all depends on your personality and work ethic. With regard to personality, I'm referencing tolerance and patience. For some of us over 50, tolerance is waning, whereas with others it improves. I'm a type A and I expect too much of folks sometimes, or so I'm told by family, and this has been progressing with age, not improving. I think you can see examples of this here on these forums. Speaking only for myself, there is no way I could have imagined doing this at a later stage in life with a family in place and financial obligations. Having said that, here I am trying to reinvent the wheel with regard to a career direction change by attempting to branch off into teaching, or other non-direct patient care area. The only difference for me is that I have no financial obligations other than month to month expenses and paying annual property taxes on my home and vehicles which are paid for. It would be interesting to me to have Leeg chime back in with some personal insight as to personality type and stage of life situation since we're kind of in the same boat here. Bottom line, as with everything else, it's a personal decision.

Does anyone else have any insights on this? I'm about to begin PA school and will finish in my late 40s. I'd hate to think that after giving up a pretty good gig, taking on a mountain of loan debt, stressing my wife and kids out (as well as myself!), etc.....after all that to graduate and be unable to find a good PA job.

I graduated from PA school at age 47 in 2004, and found two part-time jobs after 5 months of looking. I was not in a position to move, and live rural, so it took a little longer to find a job than some of my fellow PA students who were hired 1-2 months out and stayed in larger cities. I believe you will be able to find a job. It will be easier if you live in a large city, near teaching hospitals and universities, etc. You might have to be open to moving, which is usually a problem for spouse or children who are deeply engaged in their schools or work.

It has been worth it all, though, so go for it!

I've been a PA for a long time and am now 53, have never had problems finding work, had some major life changes including moving to a different state a few years ago and have not had problems finding work as an older provider. That said, I am mobile and prefer rural environments; when I lived in a big city I did have the impression that there were fewer jobs available. So I guess generally I would say that how much trouble one has finding work depends enormously on where one is looking, probably also on the kind of medicine one is looking to do. I don't think it's possible to make blanket statements about whether there's work available. Similarly, age discrimination probably varies a lot by venue and geographic location.

My friend graduated residency at 55

had 4 years of med school and 4 years of internship to get there

you would be younger then him

don't go into crazy schedule jobs ie CT or ER, find a nice limited scope job and love the glory of being a PA

Heck - if you can't get hired as a PA in my area you are doing something seriously wrong!! Other areas might be saturated but not here!

• 4 weeks later...

A former two star Major General, Bernard Loffke, retired from the US Army special forces where hw was a regional commander and has now been a PA for fifteen years working to heal the sick in china and Russia and elsewhere. There is no such thing as too old. salutes to General Loffke.

Bob Blumm, MA, PA-C, DFAAPA

Former Special Forces Medic , US Army , Vietnam

I graduated PA school at 48. Worked in General Surgery for 5 years. Last summer changed jobs and now am a hospitalist. 12 hour days, 7 on, 7 off. I love being a PA and love this schedule. It gives me time with my family, extra time with the Grandkids plus I get to do what I love every other week. Never give up on your dreams. You are never too old. Someone was telling me recently of a lady who is now a practicing psychiatrist. Her husband was an orthopedic surgeon. He passed away and she went to medical school. Graduated in her 60's and is practicing in her 70's.

If you've made the wait list reevaluated and ask yourself what you can do over the next year that will make you more attractive and give you the leading edge going in next year. For me it was learning Spanish. I submersed myself in it and came out semi-fluent. I had a year to wait anyway. I took college and private lessons, worked at the indigent hispanic clinic, etc. It along with perseverance worked.

Never give up, Keep trying until you get in.

A former two star Major General, Bernard Loffke, retired from the US Army special forces where hw was a regional commander and has now been a PA for fifteen years working to heal the sick in china and Russia and elsewhere. There is no such thing as too old. salutes to General Loffke.

Bob Blumm, MA, PA-C, DFAAPA

Former Special Forces Medic , US Army , Vietnam

That is inspiring!!

OP, one of my best friends had a 55-year-old in med school with him (first year med school). This person is now 63 and just beginning as a fully-fledged MD. It's all about how much you want it.

I am going to add that I have been a surgical PA for forty years and during my journey spent part time work in every specialty but dermatology, psychiatry and neurology. I did 16 years as a 32 hour per pay period PA. A month ago I picked up a second job in an Urgent Care Facility, see among the highest number of patients, use an EMR which was my fear and also cover the Doc's who cannot fulfill their shift and am becoming one of the most dependable. there is something called "deep smarts" which equates experience with the ability to do any job inb your field properly and with the correct skill set because of your experience. Do not let age be a stumbling block, make it a stepping stone.

bob Blumm

• 3 weeks later...

While renegotiating my employment contract at age 47 (after 16 years with the group) it was clear that my age was a major factor is what was offered. I was competing against late-20's applicants who would 1. work for much less, 2. insure for much less, 3. Not complain about working every night/weekend/holiday. I was offered an unsustainable life/work schedule.

While renegotiating my employment contract at age 47 (after 16 years with the group) it was clear that my age was a major factor is what was offered. I was competing against late-20's applicants who would 1. work for much less, 2. insure for much less, 3. Not complain about working every night/weekend/holiday. I was offered an unsustainable life/work schedule.

So what happens now? Are there other opportunities where your experience will be seen as an asset?

It seems clear that your surgeon group is looking at the bottom line rather than quality. This of course is depressing as most of us put our best foot forward and are dedicated to our groups. EMPA is correct in that there are other groups and yes, age can be both an advantage and a disadvantage. It seems like your old group will look for a reason to make you quit or let you go therefore start looking now. We sometimes forget how valuable we really are and may need to make decisions that bring in less income but at the end of the day we are still working. I think I am a perfect example of this philosophy

I graduated as a PA at age 60 and h=now have 6+ years under my belt in cardiology. I did not see any discrimination associated with age. During the interview process, the schools seemed to be quite interested in diversity. It did require some changes to how I studied -- all nighters were not an option!

I recently detailed my path from blundering into medicine to becoming a PA and all that followed in a book. Hopefully it will help those of you considering a later in life job change.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1479372099/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk

Archived