failed PANRE - what if...?

I took the PANRE Nov 16 and failed. by 18 pts. I am devastated, not only bc I usually test well, but bc my employer put out ~$1800 for me to go to houston to do board review (CME review; thought I was going to have a mental breakdown there!), covered my hotel costs, etc. I took the PANRE 4 days later; maybe too soon, given the beating I took in houston, but the practice exam I took recently to prepare for a re-take came out just as bad.

I don't even want to tell my employers I failed, and since I didn't have 90 days (from Nov 16) to re-take the PANRE before my certification expires dec 31, I was told by NCCPA that I can take the PANCE to re-certify before the end of the year. so that is what I'm preparing for now. I paid the registration fee out of my pocket and I paid for hippo PA as a review resource, too. I am loving this review, but I am also really scared! what happens if I don't pass the PANCE and my certification expires dec 31? what happens to my license, my employment? I've really had my confidence shaken by this, and don't want to psyche myself out for the re-take.

any knowledgeable comments re what happens to my ability to work should the worst-case-scenario happen are welcome... :(

DId you take the general PANRE or one of the specialty PANRE? Was this your first PANRE? Do you live in a state that requires you to maintain the C? Do you work in a specialty?

I'm not in surgery so don't have much advice. What areas were you weak in on the PANRE? Did the test have lots of non-surgery questions that tripped you up? Good luck on the next test. You are not required to tell your employer you failed, but if you fail again, you will have to tell them. Then, you take it again next year. Good luck, I wish you well on the next test.

From the peanut gallery...there are things that can be done in the arena of behavioral health to help performance from a mental standpoint on a short term basis, Eye Movement Desensitization Reprogramming comes to mind first. I can only imagine how bad this situation has hold of your psyche. Don't let it hold you hostage if you can help it. Good luck to you!

good luck!!!!

im taking my first PANRE at 2 pm (my first attempt) today!!!

i couldnt take it any earlier and get those 90 days....work/home life didnt allow it

but ive been studying my tail off for the academic nonsense i dont even use.

i practice IM and hope that it along with my insanity during this study proccess helps!

ive bee using the purple aapa book, attended nova panre/pance review and been googling, stedman dictionaring, epocrating and barbara bating everything!!!

good luck everyone and happy holidays!

Sorry for your issues

To other people that have been in practice atleast 4 years-----

You have 4 attempts to pass PANRE

TAKE IT THE FIRST TIME YOU ARE ELIGIBLE to avoid this exact issue

You don't loose anything by taking early as far as your 6 (10) year recert.....

When you ENTIRE career depends on passing this test you have to protect yourself by giving yourself as many times to pass as possible

Take the general PANRE as this is what you have prepared for in the past. When I took my last one four years ago there was no surgery on it and I've been a surgical PA throughout my career but fortunately mixed in EM and FP. The Center for Medical Education has a great Prep cpouse but Dec 31 is around the corner.

Bob

---

You have 4 attempts to pass PANRE

TAKE IT THE FIRST TIME YOU ARE ELIGIBLE to avoid this exact issue

You don't loose anything by taking early as far as your 6 (10) year recert.....

When you ENTIRE career depends on passing this test you have to protect yourself by giving yourself as many times to pass as possible

agree, I always take it year 5. have never had a problem but "just in case". also, I have heard everyone should ALWAYS take the primary care as it is by far the easiest of the tests....

...also, I have heard everyone should ALWAYS take the primary care as it is by far the easiest of the tests....

Just curious as to how this would be the 'easiest' test? Knowing the NCCPA, I doubt they would try to make anything easy ;). I took the Adult Medicine exam last month and passed by a good margin. But believe me, I had NO idea how I did leaving the exam - there were so many oddball questions in there. I'm curious how I would have felt taking the primary care exam.

Hello

Does any one know what happens if your in your 6th year and Didn't pass the PANRE and Dec 31 is the last day. So there is no time to retake the exam.

thank you. I would appreciate if anyone can email me with answer at rufdc@yahoo.com. thankyou.

I'm fairly certain you have to take the PANCE all over again, and there is a process to go through....not sure what that process entails though.

Archived