At what point did you know PA was the career for you?

First, for me: having already had a bachelor's degree, wondering what was the highest level in healthcare I could get to via the quickest route?

Second: Flexibility in job possibilities post-graduation, both in ease of transition to different specialties, and PA jobs available in my region. (overall job security prospects).

Third: Salary possibilities not just 1-2 years post-graduation, but 10 years post-graduation, vs. cost of the education program required.

Fourth, and most recently: Experience as a CNA at a hospital, while watching nurses do their work, the realization that I know for certain I would get bored with nursing quickly (if I were to choose the longer RN/BSN-to-nurse practitioner route); the thought of being able to examine and diagnose and help create treatment plans for patients w/coordination and under supervision of a doctor excites me these days!!! I would say having worked in a hospital setting for 2 years has only further cemented my desire to be a PA, and has emboldened me to think I can be a great PA when I consider what I bring to the table overall compared to other folks I see working at the hospital, including some doctors.

As a non-traditional student I have thought long and hard about it. I knew for sure I wanted to be in the medical field. It was a matter of what level. First, I thought the RN-NP track was the path I wanted, at the same time I thought Nutrition-PA track would be the path for me. Finally I decided Health and Wellness Promotion-PA route is the best for me. I feel that the research I have done with this degree will help me considerably with helping people. Knowing the theorectial models associated with illness will be useful to me.

For me, I wanted to do something similar to a doctor- able to treat, diagnose, prescribe, etc. When I found out about PA's, I did a bunch of research and shadowing and realized this would be a even better option for me! First, flexibilty in doing whichever/multiple specialties Second, I got to do what I wanted- help people while utilizing life science, plus I like meeting people one on one! Third, yes it's a stable salary. Forth, the duration of the program meets my personal needs.

Archived