Community College to a PA Program

I just a have quick question,

I am attending community college due to financial reasons and this is where i have been taking all of my sciences. I went to a university my freshman year and i plan on going back once I get enough money. I was wondering if the science classes i take at my community college will be accepted in a PA program or do i have to take science classes at a university? Also i want to major in Spanish and study abroad so i can become more fluent in the language since i live in Arizona and this would be very beneficial for me and whatever patients i get. Does my choice of major matter to PA programs? My last question, when is a good time for me to start shadowing a PA? I want to be a Physicians Assistant for an ob/gyn and i was wondering if i would be allowed to shadow a PA in this department.

Thank you for any helpful answers i receive. :=D:

I'm not 100% sure on the community college classes, but I would assume it will depend on the school. I have seen schools specifically say that prereqs have to be taken at a four year college, and I've seen that they can't be taken online; although, this is not at every program. I would call programs you may be interested in and ask what they would like to see. I would assume taking classes at a university would make you a better applicant, but I've seen threads on here that have argued that back and forth.

You can major in whatever subject you wish, as long as you have the prereqs. This just means you will have to take extra classes than others (for example, I'm a biology major, so almost all of the prereq classes are required for my major anyways). You could also consider majoring in Biology or Chemistry and getting a minor in Spanish, or double majoring..

The more shadowing hours you get, the stronger an applicant you will be. If you can start now, I would. I wish I had started shadowing earlier, because I got really busy and didn't get as many hours as I had hoped for. If I had started earlier it would be a lot easier.

It is going to be up to the specific PA's that you contact if you can shadow or not. In general, I would say that I'm sure you can find an ob/gyn PA that will let you shadow. I would recommend shadowing in a variety of different settings so you are able to see the many different aspects of being a PA.

Best of luck to you!

I agree with Mandi, only thing I want to add is that some schools have a list of programs and which specific classes they accept from each school. I would start there before taking a class and finding out you wasted your time. The other thing you can do is send a syllabus of the course to the admission counselor and see if they will accept that class if they do not have a list of courses published and you're in question about it.

I hate the whole idea that some how classes at community colleges are worth less than university coursework. I've seen folks come from local universities "down," to the CC thinking they'll walk through and get crushed. As a former full time university student, I'll say it's easy to be a full time student when all you have to do is study. Many, if not most, community college students are working 3/4 to full time, have family responsibilities and other responsibilities in addition to their studies. Only one program I've talked to over emphasizes this issue and it's why they're no longer on the list of schools I'll apply to.

Rich

I often joke with my Organic Chem professor (who is now a good friend) and taught at a major University that I got a better education and felt the grading was far more difficult at the community college level where a grade was really a grade than at the University where every class seemed to be curved. Sad since it cost $300 (yes, that's only two zeros) to get my associates degree, but $40,000 to complete my bachelors degree.

I often joke with my Organic Chem professor (who is now a good friend) and taught at a major University that I got a better education and felt the grading was far more difficult at the community college level where a grade was really a grade than at the University where every class seemed to be curved. Sad since it cost $300 (yes, that's only two zeros) to get my associates degree, but $40,000 to complete my bachelors degree.

I'm one semester into my University and, thus far, I can't help but fully agree with this. The sciences I took at CC were much more challenging and much more strict in terms of grading.

Most programs do but there are some who require they be taken at a 4 year and there are others that look at them less favorably. Just like with online classes and such, its always a good idea to ask. If the programs youre looking at dont care, then save yourself some money but if they do care then you want to make sure you dont cripple yourself

Most schools don't care. Got into a top school with ALL science pre-reqs at a CC and over 70 hours of CC hours. There are a couple of schools that, to their fault, have issue with CCs. The great majority don't care, and the ones that do tend to make that clear.

Personally, I feel my CC classes were harder than my upper division 4 year classes.

I've seen folks come from local universities "down," to the CC thinking they'll walk through and get crushed.

At my interview with Trevecca in Nashville, one of the faculty members (Larry Gerdom) insulted my community college courses and the people who attend community college. There is a stigma against community colleges in some peoples eyes, but I doubt they ever attended one. CC's and Universities both teach the same information. On average I do believe that universities are graded a little "harder", but if you are a serious student and you learn the material then It doesn't matter where you go to school. btw, that is quote how I responded to him.... that interview did not end well haha

At my interview with Trevecca in Nashville, one of the faculty members (Larry Gerdom) insulted my community college courses and the people who attend community college.

Wow--that's definitely somewhere I wouldn't want to attend.

Yeah, I won't be applying there. Pretty narrow-minded of an AdCom imo, but everyone's got an opinion.

Archived