Potential SP totally unwilling to negotiate!

I'm a new grad looking for work in family practice. I was offered a job in an office that does a lot of Suboxone. I know a lot about it because of my VA job before PA school, so I might be the most well qualified new grad he could ever hope for. (I'm usually more modest, but hey.)

The hours are 45-55 hours per week depending on the week. (One 11-hour day/week, two weekend days/month.) And for what it's worth, I live in a notoriously low-paying part of the country with Giant "Not-For-Profit" Conglomerate offering a better deal to new grads. Potential SP's offer was purported to be competitive.

The offer:

1. 65k base salary with $1/pt bonuses and a "generous" year-end productivity bonus up to 2k.

2. 80/20 health/dental/eye for only me. Decent plan though.

3. 1 week vacation the first year, but he is "liberal" with that.

4. CME tuition for "local" things at his discretion, but no tuition or time off for conferences.

5. No 401(k) the first year.

6. And the usual paying for licensing, DEA, malpractice, etc.

So I just got back from a meeting with him. I was expecting to say Yes, when can I start? Here are the changes I want:

1. Base salary of 70 instead of 65. (Naturally I was expecting him to meet me in the middle.)

2. I didn't question the vacation because I didn't want to look the ... "liberal" gift horse in the mouth. BUT I asked for tuition for a conference and the time off for it.

3. Instead of starting 401k after year one, I suggested matching 3% right away but I would not be vested until after year one.

He dismissed all of it and said "What I'm offering is very standard."

1. He said, "65k is very competitive, and don't forget about the bonuses." I told him that when I do the math, considering all the hours, I would be making less per hour than what I made before PA school. His response: "Well, this is a different job." (I think my jaw dropped.)

2. He asked me if I'd be willing to take vacation time to go to the conference. I said "No. That's not a vacation." and he literally scoffed at it. I said "$2000 and 5 days off for CME is standard. I'm asking for $200 or so and 4 days off. I will even write up the take-home points of all the lectures I go to and give it to you so you know I went to them." (Because he thinks conferences are just social events.) "But those are all big companies that offer that," he says. (Not true...)

3. He said 401(k)s are so tightly regulated that he wasn't allowed to contribute right away or something like that. I'm pretty sure that's false. Wait. I'm absolutely sure that's false.

I want this job, so I conceded on everything but the CME time. I told him something along the lines of "I've got another interview coming up (true), but I'd like to cancel it and come here. Let me know what you think." And he acted real sketchy like he might actually rescind the offer because I want to go to a conference.

He acted confused and a little offended that I tried to negotiate.

Thanks for reading. Thoughts?

If it were me, I would keep looking. This situation sounds similar to my 1st job out of PA school about 3 years ago. I was totally low-balled on the salary. Only when I provided data on current salaries at the time, did they come back with a more reasonable salary but basically I was lied to on the initial offer, being told that they did their research and the low offer I was given was standard. After accepting the new, more acceptable offer, that job turned out to be one lie after another with unprofessional management. If you think there's dishonesty from the beginning, than it is very likely to continue into the job, and even if that's what you want to do, you will be unhappy.

Let's see- sub par salary, vacation, professonal time/funds, and retirement

Do you have a family you need to cover on medical/etc?

CME should be $2000/5 days

vacation 2 weeks minimum with accrual schedule

salary is regional as you indicate but I'm sure you can get an idea of what local FP PAs are making

Suboxone should only INCREASE your base or bonuses

I'd stick to the above and walk if he says no

....and tell him politely on the way out that those are the average numbers for a PA, and he'll get a BELOW AVERAGE PA if he has a below average offer.

Archived