Here It Is. The mental health AI Chatbot.

Mental health chatbots powered by artificial intelligence developed as a therapy support tool - CBS News

I have followed a couple of threads in different places about WHO is going to be replaced by AI and when. Most of what I have followed has been in a "residency" forum on Reddit. They are all tired and cranky so most of them are hoping "midlevels" will all be replaced by AI. Some think AI will enable "midlevels" to do more and more pushing the docs out.

Of course nobody really knows but I found this article to be interesting.

I'm so glad to hear that my therapist will be replaced by the same tech that runs the inbound call center for my local cable company, because there is nothing frustrating about that experience at all......

"Press 2 if you are really really depressed, press 3 if you feel better after talking with me, press 4 if you feel anxious, press 5 if you need your xanies refilled"

• Haha 2

Jokes aside, I'm bullish on AI in healthcare. I think it'll streamline community standard of care and equally narrow and broaden differentials of a presentation. Maybe it'll replace some providers over time, but it'll start by filling gaps that currently exist, and then slowly integrate into new markets while old ones phase out. No current PAs need to start browsing the local community college course catalogue just yet. Changes AI brings will be more organic than abrupt. 

Think of it in the terms of disruptive design and the Innovator's Dilemma (RIP Clayton Christensen); PAs and NPs have disrupted the delivery of professional medical care in this country and continue to further disrupt the industry every year. Yet docs aren't losing jobs because the sector has grown. AI will absorb further sector growth and forge new subsectors altogether. Our kids will be retiring before the overall number of MD/DO/PA/NPs needed by the system shrinks. 

So, bring it on. Maybe I'll open a clinic called ChatG-PA-T.

Americans are barely (not) educated health care consumers.  
if it ended at only an AI chatbot fine.  

problem is all the copycat ones that will pop up overnight that an agenda or something to sell 

So…what’s the point of taking people out of the loop?  To save money?  Isn’t peoples health (I know, talking about testosterone and vitamin d is debatable but still) the point?  Is the goal to have a perfect system where money is given and no expenses are incurred?  That’s not true health care.  That’s just someone rigging the system to make money.

AI sounds great.  But in the end, we are all going to be unemployed.  People need to work and feel productive.  It makes them feel good.  It makes them feel like there is a point to their lives.  I may be reaching here, but automation may be the cause of the problems we are trying to fix.  Because sad hopeless people will try to become less sad and less hopeless.  I can’t think of any ongoing epidemics that make people feel good, but I’m sure they are out there.

• Upvote 1