Which role should I start?

Hi all, I am a PA student who will be graduating in May 2024 (only less than 2 months away)! I was fortunate enough to be offered both transplant surgery and CT surgery positions at the same academic medical center. However, I am struggling to make my choice and would appreciate some input. 

The transplant surgery role is ICU and floor only, no OR privileges; 9 day shifts and 4 night shifts (total 13 12hr shifts) each month, 1/4 rotating weekends (included in 13 shifts). It’s critical care heavy so I’ll have bedside procedure (central line, art line, ventilator mgmt, etc) privileges. 

The CT surgery role is OR only, floor only during on-call. The schedule is 6:30a-3:30p M-F, can leave earlier if no more OR. Call is every 5th week, 3:30p-7a M-F and 24hr weekends (no day time duty during call week). I will be second to be called for emergency surgeries after CSA, and 1st to be call for any floor questions. 

They both have similar benefits in terms of PTO. CT surgery role is 10k more due to 24hr call schedule. Transplant has long hx of hiring new grad and training them, tho they both have a good on-boarding training program. 

I am struggling because I like both critical care and surgery, and wondering which role I should start as a new grad. I hope I will have flexibility to transition to other roles (critical care to surgery, va surgery to critical care). Thanks for your help in advance!:) 

Edit: thank you all for your input - they are all very helpful!:)

Edited by TaraFuturePA
Just to say thanks

• Administrator

Sounds like a good problem to have. Never done anything remotely resembling either, so I can't offer you positional advice, but for work-life balance, the transplant surgery role sounds better. Not sure how much that matters to you; NOT starting at 6:30 AM is part of why I am not a surgical PA, but if you're a morning person your priorities likely differ.

• Like 1

Do you know anyone on those services or worked with them already? Have you rotated in either specialty yet? 

Can't speak to transplant medicine but it sounds like a great opportunity. So does the CT job especially if you are interested in surgery although critical care here will be focused on cardiac; you will also see some Pulm, kidney, and neuro pathology. Some CT surgeons can have challenging personalities so keep that in mind if you haven't worked with those folks yet. I would say take the job that is a better first job for you that will provide mentorship and plenty of learning opportunities. 

Anecdotally, I was able to transition from ortho trauma to CT to trauma/surgical critical care. So know that things are possible with the right effort, network, and opportunities. 

Edited by SedRate
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, UGoLong said:

My Dad, who had experience working with pilots, also later worked with all kinds of docs and used to say that "surgeons are the fighter pilots of the medical profession."

Agree. Gotta be ready for anything and perform at their best. Can create a stressful environment for all involved. 

Edited by SedRate