I am not renewing my contract and provided 60 day notice per contract. This is first job as new pa, in a specialty, completing one year. I am leaving because I view the practice as a danger to my license and to the patients. 

Supervising MD (medical and surgical outpatient) allegedly is committing various frauds, negligence, and malpractice daily. MD is owner. I do not want to break HIPAA, but I would feel more comfortable if I had evidence of it after I left. I only want to report if I can remain anonymous as I fear retaliation. Not sure which entities to report to. 

I will likely break my noncompete (50 miles for 3 years) as I'm in specialty. The other two APPs are also leaving and also breaking noncompete for same reasons. There are no written consequences for breaking it in my contract. We're not informing them of breach. I fear they may sue, however this would open them up to exposure for their own (alleged) fraud in court. 

I do not want to complete my full notice, but I'm planning to, to keep things civil. It's hard to finish out as their actions make me feel physically and mentally unwell. 

Office manager and MD have not discussed my nonrenewal notice with me. (been 2 weeks)

I think this place is run by two sociopaths so I truly cannot guess their future actions. 

What is your advice as I finish seeing patients (6 weeks left as of today) and prepare to leave? 

Exit as quietly and professionally as you can. Make no waves, do your job, keep a time/date record of anything said or done as you anticipate the possibility of reprisal.

If you choose to report them, and I think ethically we all have  an obligation to do so when we see things, have your ducks in a row and be professional and dispassionate.

It is possible they could sue because anyone can sue for anything. However, and I am not a lawyer, it would open them to full scrutiny of reasons for your departure. So their conduct, billing, charting, HIPAA issues would all be fair game if that is part of the reason you left. You  probably would be well advised to have at least an advice visit with an attorney before you pull the trigger. You'll get good advice and, if they decide to come at you, can probably be shut down with a letter from your attorney outlining why you left and what issues will be explored during legal proceedings.

Good luck. There are better things waiting for you elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, CAAdmission said:

Not sure if this is still the case, but it used to be if you reported someone to the feds for fraud, you used to get to keep 10% of the penalty. 

A lot of states are starting to conclude that non-compete clauses are illegal. 

Get a good attorney. 

yea.. those GOP states want to keep medical peasants working..