How many on AAPA knew this would be happening aand decided to approve title associate over Medical Care Practitioner because they never wanted a change to begin with. How many states attempted title change only to be shot down. https://www.ama-assn.org/practice-management/scope-practice/pa-rebrand-physician-associates-will-deepen-patient-confusion?utm_effort=DAPSRH&gad=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuIj2xrqy_wIV7_HjBx0Ayg3UEAMYASABEgIbYPD_BwE

This was highly predictable to ANYONE who didn't have their head up their butt. The problem(s) are we were still rife with "everything is just fine" people, the HOD tends to be filled with the same people year after year because there are very few people who want to invest that much time in participating, and the HOD has tons of people who are politically clueless and show up for their 3 days in the sun and vote on everything that directs the future of an entire profession.

I want to gloat because, once again, everything I predicted is now happening. It mostly just makes me sad.

• Upvote 1

Without disclosing my state, I saw the discussion during a legislative session, when it was brought up during last year. They ARE actively fighting against title change. A big plus for them is that apparently universities are not changing, I was told, by a program director,  they were instructed to not change title until it was changed at state level. Big circle that takes you nowhere. Anyway, as long as schools don't change, state legislation wouldn't even consider. Is it true AAPA or some organization told program directors to not change title until on state laws? If so, they are bigger idiots than I ever imagined.

• Like 1

I don't know if AAPA told the schools not to change...it isn't likely just because they can't really tell them but that doesn't mean there wasn't some conversations. I have been in that circle and a lot of business gets done through informal channels and discussions.

That said, ARC-PA made it clear early on they opposed autonomy (stating they didn't train PAs to be autonomous) and title change. Sadly they have the ability to kill off either initiative by simply refusing to change. Who could force them? If the schools don't go along and/or ARC-PA threatens any school that does.... that is the end of it.

1 hour ago, Hemmingway said:

If the schools don't go along and/or ARC-PA threatens any school that does.... that is the end of it.

Speaking of organizations that should go crap in their hat, our educational process is overlorded by this board of moronic regressives THAT INCLUDES TWO APOINTESS FROM THE AMA! As politely as I can put it, eff the ARC-PA. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/9/2023 at 12:17 AM, rev ronin said:

Not sure if you can blame ARC-PA for that.  Smells more like a PAEA mess to me.

PAEA is really just an advisory organization. They are there to support programs and the board is made up of program faculty. 

ARC-PA is a band of imperious misfits and their board includes physicians from groups that are openly hostile to PAs. Unlike PAEA, the ARC-PA can place demands upon programs. They have also indicated that they currently only accredit Masters-level programs.