one supervising MD in the group or can the group be the supervising MD?

I've been with my current group for 5 years, have one supervising MD but see patients that "belong" to multiple docs. Have always wondered if this is kosher or not, especially since he can be away for weeks at a time (but usually always reachable...)

Long story short, by dumb luck I am interviewing with a group this week who are thinking/ interested in hiring an experienced neuro PA - but I need to present some stats etc for them to see what I do, how I'm scheduled, how I bill, etc etc. It occurred to me that a question might come up as to supervision. Can the "group" (ie 5 docs) be the supervising MD? Or does it have to be one individual MD?

I'm in Oregon if that makes any difference to things...

How you are practicing sounds kosher. In primary care, I comange some of my SP's pts (he has a 30 yr practice), have my own panel who are generally healthier, and comange with several other docs in the practice as well. In the hospital, I directly worked with my SP only 1-2 weeks a year.

i don't think a group can be your SP. At least for MA licensure, you have to designate one person. At our hospital, an SP gets a bonus, so it works out for them.

I've been with my current group for 5 years, have one supervising MD but see patients that "belong" to multiple docs. Have always wondered if this is kosher or not, especially since he can be away for weeks at a time (but usually always reachable...)

Long story short, by dumb luck I am interviewing with a group this week who are thinking/ interested in hiring an experienced neuro PA - but I need to present some stats etc for them to see what I do, how I'm scheduled, how I bill, etc etc. It occurred to me that a question might come up as to supervision. Can the "group" (ie 5 docs) be the supervising MD? Or does it have to be one individual MD?

I'm in Oregon if that makes any difference to things...

I'm in the same position in spine care. I work with the group, however, at least in my state, I had to designate ONE supervising physician. Then a list of ALTERNATE supervising physicians. It's kind of funny, cause I actually don't really ever work with my "supervising" physician, as I work with others when needed. Technically, however, unless it's different in Oregon, there has to be ONE designated SP.

So it sounds like I should at least submit a list of alternates - providing I stay where I am !) I'm trying to work part time in a group where there is more enough work for me. And I've been around long enough that I have my own panel of patients and I help out with multiple docs so things stay reasonably interesting. I'm not anxious to change things, but this possibility came up AND it's 10 minutes from home so we'll see where this leads.

• Administrator

I work in Washington, in a family med team of 9 MDs and 3 PAs. My designated SP is my team medical chief, but I share an office with a different MD mentor, and his MD partner next door, and I'm primarily responsible for their patients. So, we're broken up into three-clinician teams, but the PAs are a shared resource: we don't have formal panels of patients, and we can end up seeing any doc's patients, depending on appointment availability.

Archived