Looking for suggestions-

Hey everyone! 

Just hoping for a little guidance as I’m feeling kind of let down by how my personal life (new baby) has affected my professional life. 

A little back story- I have been a trauma and critical care PA the last few years and I LOVE it. I love working days, nights, whatever it was— you name it and I’ll do it. However, this past year I decided to become a mom and working a 7 days on/7 days off scheduling model obviously didn’t work for us (my family). My husband travels for work frequently and I didn’t think it would be fair for my daughter to have two absent parents. She’s currently 6 months old and the love of my life! (Next to my husband of course ha).

With this shift in my career, I was hoping to look into an easier schedule- perhaps 8 hour days, so I could still be home to pick up my daughter from day care and put her to sleep at night. I’m currently staying home and only averaging about 5 shifts per month PRN. I can’t help but feel guilty for not working more, but I’m the sole caretaker for my baby.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an easier schedule? Something still with a high level of acuity?

Will this completely wreck my chances of returning to trauma/critical care in the future?

I love what I do, but family first, of course. I also feel guilty for not working my old full time job, but hiring childcare for an 84hr work week wasn’t possible. I interviewed so many awful candidates…

Thanks in advance! 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, ostolz1012 said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for an easier schedule? Something still with a high level of acuity?

Inpatient or residential eating disorders care. Very sick patients, lots of psych comorbidity, but pretty stable schedule: the patients input and discharge in an orderly fashion, for the most part, and staff works days.

14 hours ago, ostolz1012 said:

With this shift in my career, I was hoping to look into an easier schedule- perhaps 8 hour days, so I could still be home to pick up my daughter from day care and put her to sleep at night. I’m currently staying home and only averaging about 5 shifts per month PRN. I can’t help but feel guilty for not working more, but I’m the sole caretaker for my baby.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an easier schedule? Something still with a high level of acuity.

Pick up another PRN job. It's the best decision I've made. I can then pick and choose how often I want to work between the two. Some places may are willing to do 8h shifts instead of 12.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CAAdmission said:

Enjoy your kid. They will bring great joy and fulfillment to your life. It sounds like you enjoyed a good workplace, but it will eventually become corporatized and they won't give a damn if you are alive or dead. 

Work to live, don't live to work. 

For sure

1 hour ago, ventana said:

realize that EVERYTHING pales in comparison to kids

OP, I will make a confession here. I hate babies. They are needy, noisy, smelly time sinks. I disliked having babies around.

You kid(s) will quickly get older and become self maintaining, and be a lot of fun to have around. Then in a flash, they will suddenly be gone, out living on their own and you won't know where the years went. Don't let your work interfere with the relatively few years you have together. You will regret it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ventana said:

get on a few PRN lists - pick and choose your schedule

Look into an IR position - lots of fun stuff and 9-5 schedule

realize that EVERYTHING pales in comparison to kids

I love the IR comment. Something new I haven’t ventured into! But yes, I don’t know how I ever thought my life was complete before this little one. Thanks for the support

32 minutes ago, CAAdmission said:

OP, I will make a confession here. I hate babies. They are needy, noisy, smelly time sinks. I disliked having babies around.

You kid(s) will quickly get older and become self maintaining, and be a lot of fun to have around. Then in a flash, they will suddenly be gone, out living on their own and you won't know where the years went. Don't let your work interfere with the relatively few years you have together. You will regret it. 

I really appreciate this wisdom. Thank you