Nurse Practitioners Granted Full Practice Authority in Utah

9 hours ago, NEQuadrant said:

en though I think most of us can agree we want to maintain our strong collaborations, and less about keeping up with our equivalent colleagues.

and you may or may not still be here when our "equivalent colleagues" have become the preferred provider in every state because they are cheaper and easier to hire and keep as opposed to a dependent assistant that has to be supervised.

There is some weird disconnect among many PAs in thinking autonomy or independence changes out "strong collaborative relationships." It has become some kind of boogy man argument like we are all going to go wild and start killing patients because we don't have a piece of paper filed away somewhere saying we are supervised or the physicians are going to do something to us they aren't already doing.

I'll say it slowly..... it's....all.....about....money. Sadly we will be mostly dead and gone by the time the remaining PAs who haven't been replaced already figure it out. I am so glad I can retire in a couple of years because sitting and watching the dissolution of the profession is killing me. The absolute inability to see the train that is already running us over boggles the mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sas5814 said:

and you may or may not still be here when our "equivalent colleagues" have become the preferred provider in every state because they are cheaper and easier to hire and keep as opposed to a dependent assistant that has to be supervised.

There is some weird disconnect among many PAs in thinking autonomy or independence changes out "strong collaborative relationships." It has become some kind of boogy man argument like we are all going to go wild and start killing patients because we don't have a piece of paper filed away somewhere saying we are supervised or the physicians are going to do something to us they aren't already doing.

I'll say it slowly..... it's....all.....about....money. Sadly we will be mostly dead and gone by the time the remaining PAs who haven't been replaced already figure it out. I am so glad I can retire in a couple of years because sitting and watching the dissolution of the profession is killing me. The absolute inability to see the train that is already running us over boggles the mind.

I agree.  It's been obvious for over a decade where this was going.  Just do some basic number and you knew this was where it was going.  Number of NP programs and ease of training/lack of clinical hours compared to PAs.  So many online programs as well.  And then the disappearing legal constraints.  All you have to do is look at the incentives.  But at least we get to call ourselves Physician Associates... except we can't until the AAPA is done fighting the very expensive many year fight in every state just for a title change all while NPs keep fighting for "full practice authority" i.e. independent practice.

The only hope I have is some crazy hail mary legal challenge by a PA in a state where NPs have the ability to work independently and they make the case that they are essentially the equivalent to an NP but there is some discrimination or unequal treatment under the law thing resulting in restraint of trade.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, sillycibin said:

The only hope I have is some crazy hail mary legal challenge by a PA in a state where NPs have the ability to work independently and they make the case that they are essentially the equivalent to an NP but there is some discrimination or unequal treatment under the law thing resulting in restraint of trade.

I volunteer