help negotiate derm new grad offer

I just got my first offer as a new grad in dermatology and I need help deciding what to negotiate because it is not good. It is a small private practice with one doc and 2 NP. Mostly medical derm with potential for some cosmetics. They treat in office and round at ALF/SNF. Time would be split about even between the two weekly.

-salary $85K (ouch)

-three month training period (with doc or np) at HALF salary ($42.5K); will be reviewed after one month to possibly end training (seems too soon but they said they want to fast track me; I bet I'll need 3 months); the "training plan" is to shadow and learn the emr, then start practicing procedures as they come in (watch one, do one) in both the office and ALF, its not very concrete or structured. 

- 10 days combined pto/sick 

-6 holidays

-3 days CME and $1K

-mileage reimbursement for rounding (unsure amount)

-401k eligible after one year (unsure matching) 

-health stipend of $175/month

-benefits available after 90 days

-malpractice covered NO tail (unsure if claims-made or occurence, I asked them to look it up)

-provides dermatoscope 

-noncompete of 3 years 10 miles from the office or 3 years working in any ALF/SNF they work in (this shouldn't be a problem, 10mi is not far)

-I will not always have an MA with me in ALF if its not a full pt load; MA may be shared in office; They may hire another MA in future

-expect to see 20-25pt in office daily or 35 in ALF

-I will have my own schedule of patients 

-providers likely work more than 40 hours per week 

-they may purchase visualdx for me if I really need it, no other subscriptions 

-they may purchase the sdpa diplomate fellowship course if we both agree I could benefit

I asked if it would be possible to be compensated with a % collections in the future and was basically told thats not possible now due to billing issues with insurances, as billing is done with a third party... I was told maybe bonuses could be created in the future for brining in new patients in ALFs. I thought it was pretty standard to be paid on productions/bonuses/collections in derm and thought this was a bit odd. 

This may be a two year contract, I need to clarify. They did not mention when I could renegotiate my terms. 

The doctor's husband is a NP and her sister is the office manager. Doc and NP are the owners. I did ask about this and they stated they have not had any issues working as a family. The other NP is not related. This slightly concerns me but everyone seems very kind and friendly and both owners are medical. 

I am concerned about salary, pto, cme, no tail malpractice, and working overtime (at low pay). $85k without any bonus is very low for any PA, especially derm. I think AAPA salary reports for 0-1 year experience is $100K for 50th percentile. 

I'm thinking that pto/sick is standard for office and it might not be worth asking for more. 

Half salary during training is unbelievable, however, I would be fine financially for three months. I may accept this if I could get the salary much higher. 

So I am thinking it may be best for me to negotiate for higher pay and more CME. I really want to work in derm and I want to make this offer work for me. 

Would $100k or $105k salary and 5 days CME with $1500 or $2000 be a good negotiation?

Or should I ask for a structured pay increase like $95K now, 105K 6 months, 115K at 1 year? 

I'm not sure what to do about the no tail malpractice. 

Please send some good counter offers that they may accept! 

Also, as for my qualifications- I have 3 years experience with geriatrics/ALFs as CNA, shadowed in derm, and rotated in derm elective. 

• Administrator

Any time they say they can't pay you a certain way, you know what they really mean is "If we paid you that way, you'd see through us"

On the other hand, derm PAs make a whole lot once fully trained.

I wouldn't take it, but it's not my dream job, not my passion, and EMEDPA's issues are all indeed red flags.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mayamom said:

PTO is ridiculously low and $175 health stipend.   Meaning do you have to get your own policy and they pay $175.00.    As I'm sure your well aware a monthly premium for  family is close to $1000 per month.   Not a good package. 

Yes I would need my own policy for health/vision/dental and be compensated $175 per month for it. The policy would only be for me, no family. What is a normal/good health stipend?