Feeling discouraged....anyone else feeling this way?

My science and cumulative GPA is ~3.5 and I have about 1,000 hours of HCE being a medical assistant and a volunteer EMT. I applied to 7 schools, and I have received rejections from 2 so far and no interview invites. I am beginning to lose hope. I am already thinking about what I can do to better my chances of getting in for the next application cycle. I applied in mid-July this year, so I want to submit my application as soon as CASPA opens in April next year.

I'd like to work in obstetrics and gynecology, so I thought that I would volunteer at planned parenthood. Obviously, I will continue working so my HCE hours will increase.

I also plan on taking the GRE next time around, and applying to more schools.

If anyone can give me some pointers on what I can do to improve my chances for the next application cycle, I would really appreciate it. Getting rejected stings, especially when you've worked so hard to get where you are now.

Is anyone else in the same boat?

I'm in the same boat I applied in June and have received 2 rejection letter and no interviews. Nothing else we can do now but hope for the best and if we don't get in do some volunteer work that would set you apart from other applicants for instance out of the country volunteer work. Hang in there! I'm right there with you!

Could be your essay, could be your letters of rec, could be frequent typos, could be a million things. What caught my eye was you said you were going to take the GRE next time around... Did u not take it this time? What are the requirements of the programs u applied to? Do the schools that u applied to post the stats from their previous students? How do you measure up?

I purposely applied to schools that did not require the GRE. I am not the strongest standardized test taker, so I thought it would be a smart move. I exceeded all of the requirements for the schools I applied to (except Quinnipiac.. who wants you to have at least 2,000 hours of HCE). The other schools I applied to require 500-1,000 hours. Stats for previous students are pretty much the same as mine. I know that PA school is very competitive, I just wish I knew where I was going wrong. You're right though, I am thinking maybe my essay could've been better and maybe my recs weren't as strong as I'd hoped.

I am no admin guy so my thoughts are worth what you paid for them...

It is my understanding that schools need something to judge the student by. They want to ensure that the applicant can finish and pass the board exam. The methods to judge the student are few. Some schools weight the GRE and GPA. I believe that the theory is a student who can do well in the classroom can learn the clinical stuff and that makes them a good applicant.

If a school does not weight, or require, the GRE then they need to find another tool of measurement. I am betting that medical experience plays a key role in that. You mention you met most programs' basic requirement but what is the average amount for past students? For example, my program requires 4000 hours. The average student has over 12,000 hours for this program. They also do not weight the GRE. So meeting basic requirements does not always mean a direct pipeline to interview. What was your science GPA ? Did your non science courses pull up your science classes to average @ 3.5?

What sort of medical experience do the other applicants have? Are you competing against nurses, corpsman, medics, RTs? How did you describe your time as a MA? I have met some who where primarily clerical and others who did so much more. Did you describe your experience in the best light possible? What have you been doing with your EMT?

Who wrote your LOR's? Supervisors? Medical providers such as docs or PAs? How well do u know them?

Did you have people read your personal statement? It doesnt have to be posted here but a few different set of eyes from people u trust can go a long ways to improving it.

Is this your first year? If so, learn from this experience and improve. You are bummed that this year seems like a wash but it is a learning opportunity. Capitalize on it.

Hi! I have not yet applied to PA school, but recently went to a information session at one of the PA programs in NY. The admissions director mentioned that if you receive a rejection letter, they would be more than willing to let you know in what areas of the application they would like to see improvement in. Not sure if all schools will do this, but just letting you know that it can't hurt to ask :) Best of luck!

Thank you everyone for your input! I am also assuming that many other applicants have a lot more healthcare experience than I do. I am beginning to feel a little bit better. I can always apply again next year when I have more knowledge on how this application process works (I didn't realize how many schools were rolling admissions) and when I have more patient care experience under my belt. I also have a year to write an awesome new essay so I am feeling pretty good about that.

My science GPA is a 3.6. My lower grades come from when I was a freshman in college.

I will definitely call the programs I have been rejected from to see how I can improve.

I am really happy this forum exists!

I applied in June and received several rejections, I believe i'm up to 8 or 9 out of 18. So, I think you shouldn't be too down on yourself just yet. Im wondering if I should even still complete come schools supplementals. Starting to feel like I'm just giving money away to a charity organization that doesn't appreciate it.

I figured I could post here so I don't have to make a new thread. I applied last December to two schools and got rejected by one, and the other did not even bother looking at my application since I applied so late (and they had so many applicants). When I applied I was finishing up my last undergrad semester (biology) and had no shadowing or volunteer hours.

I am about to reapply to about 5 or 6 schools at the end of the month; just need to finish my personal narrative. After looking around on the forum, I am really starting to have second thoughts. My gpa is 2.85. My first couple of years I slacked pretty hard. I wanted to go to medical school but had no motivations, no friends (with similar majors) to get information about what I needed to do, prerequesites, etc. It wasnt until mid junior year that I spoke with my advisor about things and he pointed me to PA school. I then learned that I was super behind; no volunteer hours or anything of the sort, and my grades sucked. I picked up my grades a bit (3.7, and 3.9 my last couple of semesters). Since I found out about PA school and the requirements to get in, I was trying to get some health care jobs such as phlebotomists, nurse techs, psyche aides, etc but for two years, I had no luck....no one would hire me.

I still dont have any real paid health care experience and I have just shy of 50 hours (started in February this year) of volunteer work in recreational therapy; patient contact but all we really do is play bingo, eat ice cream and I occasionally will transport the patients back to their rooms. I tried to find a position with direct patient care/contact but there was no openings at the hospital. The other two hospitals in my city had 6 month wait lists...I also have about 10 hours of shadowing including two PA's and one doctor. I have letters of recommendation from two professors and a CRNA.

Sorry for the long post but do you guys/girls think I should even bother trying? The schools that I am applying to have lower requirements (minimum gpa's of 2.5 or 2.7, no specific amount of HCE or shadowing hours) but I am barely meeting those minimums. Once again, to sum it all up

GPA 2.85

Volunteer hours - 45ish - 50

Shadowing hours - 10

Currently working in a DNA/paternity testing lab

Honestly, I don't think I could get in, even if I wrote the most brilliant personal narrative in the world. I really don't want to waste money applying to schools knowing that I wont get in...I really hated the fact that I couldn't even get a rejection letter from one of the previous schools that I applied to....all I got was a "we did not even touch your application, thanks for the money" letter. So do you all think I should bother applying? Thanks

Wow if you are feeling discouraged with a 3.5 I am screwed lol. My Cumulative undergrad GPA is 2.53 after CASPA calculations. I have taken 6 courses so far post-bacc with 5 As and a B and am on my way to making 5 As this fall with 16 credit hours. Its going to be another 38 credit hours after this fall until I can make the 3.0 minimum GPA lol. Thats assuming I make As in Chem 1-2, Biochem, O-Chem. I do have 6000 hours HCE and usually do very well on standardized tests so GRE should be great as well.

Undergrad GPA was due to flat out laziness. Thankfully I only took 2 science courses in undergrad with Bs in both so science GPA is salvageable. I am hoping PA Schools notice that I did awful in undergrad while not working at all and went back several years after I graduated and made Straight As with a pretty heavy courseload while working full time in a fire dept. Hopefully that shows I am not the slacker I once was.

Do not let yourself get too discouraged. We have all been there at some time. Many people do not get into PA school their first time around. I applied last year to only one school because I thought I was a shoe in, and I was rejected. I immediately made an appointment with the admissions counselor to ask how I could be a more competitive applicant. I applied to more schools this time around. I have been accepted to the first school that I was wait listed at, and I just interviewed at one of the top schools in the nation. I would suggest that you keep logging CME hours, take any pre-reqs (make As in them), and make appointments with some admissions counselors give you an honest opinion of where you stand. This book also helped a lot: Getting Into the Physician Assistant School of Your Choice by Andrew Rodican.

Take the time to decide if this is what you really want to do, and if it is do not give up. I am really glad I made the decision not to.

Good Luck,

B

Guest carolanimal
Wow if you are feeling discouraged with a 3.5 I am screwed lol. My Cumulative undergrad GPA is 2.53 after CASPA calculations. I have taken 6 courses so far post-bacc with 5 As and a B and am on my way to making 5 As this fall with 16 credit hours. Its going to be another 38 credit hours after this fall until I can make the 3.0 minimum GPA lol. Thats assuming I make As in Chem 1-2, Biochem, O-Chem. I do have 6000 hours HCE and usually do very well on standardized tests so GRE should be great as well.

Undergrad GPA was due to flat out laziness. Thankfully I only took 2 science courses in undergrad with Bs in both so science GPA is salvageable. I am hoping PA Schools notice that I did awful in undergrad while not working at all and went back several years after I graduated and made Straight As with a pretty heavy courseload while working full time in a fire dept. Hopefully that shows I am not the slacker I once was.

I do think that schools consider your recent performance. My last 60 hrs GPA is 3.8 and I saw that explicitly written out at the last interview I went to.

I remember feeling the same way!! I had already signed up to take more science classes to get more pre-reqs under my belt for next years application cycle. THEN... with so much excitement, I got that anticipated email from Pacific University's PA program and got an interview! Don't lose hope until you get the for sure rejection letters from all the schools you applied to. I even got another interview invite after I got accepted at Pacific, so it can happen much later than you anticipate... and just so you know, the waiting is the worst part!

Good luck!

DJ

Archived