Am I Doing Something Wrong??

I’m 31 years old, male from NY. 

My gpa is 3.66 and my science gpa is 3.88

bachelors degree in history from 2013 but I completed all prerequisite courses in the last two years all with grades of A. 

I’ve been an EMT/Paramedic full time for 10 years and have over 15,000 hours of hands on patient care experience with significant scope of practice. 

I scored in the top quartile on CASPer

so far only one school has interviewed me. I’m interviewing for a wait list spot at another and haven’t heard a single thing from the other 6 or so schools I applied to even while others who submitted apps at the same time have heard about interviews and rejections. 

did I miss something? Am I doing something wrong? 

The information you provided makes you look like a great candidate. I'd start with your paperwork since that's all the schools really have to go on until they either talk or meet you. Things to look at:

- How good were your references and what did they say about you?

- What would people think of you from reading your essay, etc.

Something is sending them a signal and it probably isn't your degree, age, or gender. (I was a 58 year old man with degrees in engineering when I enrolled.)

Good luck!

Edited by UGoLong
  • Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2022 at 8:11 AM, DJR23 said:

I’m 31 years old, male from NY. 

My gpa is 3.66 and my science gpa is 3.88

bachelors degree in history from 2013 but I completed all prerequisite courses in the last two years all with grades of A. 

I’ve been an EMT/Paramedic full time for 10 years and have over 15,000 hours of hands on patient care experience with significant scope of practice. 

I scored in the top quartile on CASPer

so far only one school has interviewed me. I’m interviewing for a wait list spot at another and haven’t heard a single thing from the other 6 or so schools I applied to even while others who submitted apps at the same time have heard about interviews and rejections. 

did I miss something? Am I doing something wrong? 

Wow.  You are just like me.  Undergrad in non science in 2004, 15 years exp as a fire medic, decent gre score, post bacc science courses 3.9, cumulative 3.3.  I have two rejections so far, and am afraid they are going to keep piling up.  I am feeling the EXACT same way right now.  You start to question if what types of students these programs are looking for.  I am responsible, get my work done, and will be a great representation of these programs post degree, yet I fear I will still get rejected from other programs.  The programs so far I have been rejected from are likely due to my undergrad grades not being as high as others.  But I took those courses 20+ years ago, and I can't go back in time.  Its fine though, I am certain we will make great PAs one day.

Edited by Jawton
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Like UGoLong stated, it's probably not your grades or PCE experience that's the issue.  It's probably some of the "softer" things like your letters of recommendation or your essays that aren't exciting the admission committees.   Some suggestions:

• make sure your letters of reco speak to your interpersonal skills with both patients and medical co-workers.  It would be very helpful if those come from providers: docs or PA's, that are familiar with your work.  For example, I had letters from 2 ED docs that I frequently brought patients too.
  • make sure your essays sound good.  It's probably worth it to have them critiqued by someone familiar with the PA admissions process.

• 4 weeks later...

@DJR23 and @Jawton. If you get any rejection, ask the school why. Unfortunately for us non-traditional folks wanting to go to PA school it feels like we have to jump through all these hurdles to stay competitive. In terms of prerequisites, science ones do have a 5 or 10 yr expiration unless you are in a healthcare field like EMT or something. I have read that where you take your prerequisites matters (i.e. community college vs regular 4 yr college). So you would have to ask the schools on their preference. I have seen some schools where a letter of recommendation from a PA is required. Some schools I've seen are now requiring x amount of shadowing hrs. If you are a reapplicant to any schools, you have to show what you have done to prove you are "worthy" of a spot. Long story short, you really have to do your research. Time frame to hear back from schools varies as well. When either of you get into PA school I would be asking for tips as well.

Edited by laurie829311
  • Like 1

From reading both of your introductions, I’m betting your personal statements are the problem. If you wrote it to tell your life story and accomplishments/documenting your life as a medic-it’s going straight into the side pile. Both of you need to research competitive narratives and have multiple people review. If it doesn’t track or at the minimum entertain/keep a non-medical person engaged, it’s not competitive. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/1/2022 at 10:29 AM, ANESMCR said:

From reading both of your introductions, I’m betting your personal statements are the problem. If you wrote it to tell your life story and accomplishments/documenting your life as a medic-it’s going straight into the side pile. Both of you need to research competitive narratives and have multiple people review. If it doesn’t track or at the minimum entertain/keep a non-medical person engaged, it’s not competitive. 

I appreciate this insight.  I do find it a bit absurd that one has to create some kind of fanciful story of overcoming adversity to be considered for an advanced degree in healthcare, but I guess that's how it is in this day and age.  I decided to not make my personal statement about all of the gnarly stuff I've experienced in my medical career, as I'm not sure it lends itself to reader engagement.  I have gotten a couple of interviews since this initial posting, so maybe I did something correctly?

On 9/5/2022 at 5:49 AM, ohiovolffemtp said:

Like UGoLong stated, it's probably not your grades or PCE experience that's the issue.  It's probably some of the "softer" things like your letters of recommendation or your essays that aren't exciting the admission committees.   Some suggestions:

• make sure your letters of reco speak to your interpersonal skills with both patients and medical co-workers.  It would be very helpful if those come from providers: docs or PA's, that are familiar with your work.  For example, I had letters from 2 ED docs that I frequently brought patients too.
  • make sure your essays sound good.  It's probably worth it to have them critiqued by someone familiar with the PA admissions process.

I had a Medical Director, PA, Fire Chief, Nurse Practitioner, and Professor, all of whom I am pretty certain wrote stellar reviews.  I don't think that is my problem.  I am wondering if my personal statement just didn't pop, as ANESCMR alluded to.  I had it critiqued multiple times, and I thought it was pretty good, but I am starting to think it might be my weakest link.  Thanks for the help!

I just got some feedback from my top choice program that I was rejected from.  Apparently I had two prerequisites that fell outside their length of time you need to have completed your classes.  Kind of a bummer, as both of the courses I had decent grades in.  Such is the life of a non-traditional student I guess.

They also stated that I did not describe what I did as a paramedic enough in the PCE section.  I made the mistake of thinking that having been a paramedic for so long it would be assumed I have taken vital signs, started IV's, etc.  Because of that, I put my accomplishments and accolades from my time spent as a medic/firefighter in the description section.  Kind of unfortunate, but good information to have in case I need to apply again.

Hopefully this helps those that are working on their applications.