Paramedic to PA

Hi I’m a paramedic with my A.S. in EMS. I’m planning out my future to become a PA, but I’m a little confused about the best and fastest route to take. There is a new program for paramedic’s at an accredited college for a bachelor’s degree in paramedicine. I could go right into the program with my current degree in EMS with no extra prerequisites. Or should I get my bacholer’s in a degree like biomedical, but I will need to take some prerequisites? I don’t know if having a bachelor’s degree in paramedicine will hurt my chances at getting accepted into a PA program. I just don’t want to waste time becoming a PA. I love being a paramedic but the money isn’t there for the risks and workload I’m in every shift. 

The medic experience will be great. Make sure to do well in the hard sciences in order to have a good shot. The great PCE won't make up for crap grades. Also, keep it level-headed during interviews. Paramedics are known to be cocky d*cks (lol) while most PA programs are singing kumbaya, everyone is special and nice, "40 in and 40 out" mentality, etc. Throttle it back a bit; confidence is OK though. 

Being a paramedic (assuming that you had good field experience, especially 911 response) is a great preparation for being a PA.  You already have learned sick vs not sick vs about to be sick.  You've probably learned how to organize and lead teams.

Your degree won't matter.  Having completed all of the PA school pre-reqs: essentially the same or more than pre-med with good grades, 3.5+ does matter.  Without that, you won't get accepted.

However, there are huge swaths of medicine still to be learned, even if you go into EM.  As Teddy said, you'll need humility during your interviews and during your program.  You'll also need a good answer to why you want to become a PA.  Mine was I wanted to do more for my patients and also wanted work that was more intellectually challenging, easier on the body, better compensated, and something that I could continue well past the age I could continue as a FF/medic.

Once you become a PA, expect to spend pretty much the 3+ year learning curve everyone else does to really learn your new trade.

• Like 1