• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to all of you who got the interview call!!! I know the feeling lol. How awesome!

I wish you all the best of Luck! I'll be sure to come back and update y'all after my interview.

Anyone with interview tips and advice, please share! Thanks.

@Yacosta: any last word of advice please :)

TJL

Congrats to all of you who got the interview call!!! I know the feeling lol. How awesome!

I wish you all the best of Luck! I'll be sure to come back and update y'all after my interview.

TJL

Congrats to all that got interviews!!! For those of you that still haven't recieved a call, don't worry. They still haven't called all of those chosen for an interview. I wish you the best of luck!! Here are some tips for your interview. Know what the Sophie Davis PA program mission statement is. Know what the PA organizations are (AAPA & NYSSPA). Know what the letters stand for & who the leaders are. The latest director of Sophie Davis PA program is Emilia Medina who is the interim director of the Sophie Davis PA program. Before her was Ms Gemina Gates. The questions that you get asked will depend on who's interviewing you and what you have written in your application, so therefore, questions can vary. Reread your statement letter several times before you get there. They might ask you about it. Look for any weaknesses that your grades or application might have & be ready to address any of them. Be ready to answer why they should pick you as opposed to the other people that will be there that day. The reason has to be more than "I really want it". So does every other applicant. That doesn't set you apart. There is a really great book that I used to help me prepare for my interview. I think it might be helpful. It's called Acing the PA interview by Andrew Rodican. It gives a lot of potential interview questions. I also googled & searched the Internet for interview questions. I practiced asking myself hard questions in the mirror & forced myself to answer them. I rehearsed this all the time. Lol. I looked ridiculous but I was prepared for every single tough question. If they ask you a question, don't panic. Acknowledge the question & let them know that you need to think about it for a second. Try to come up with an answer as quickly as possible. They asked me a question (don't remember what it was) that caught me off guard. I responded with "wow, that's a good question. Never thought about that, hmmm". That was enough to buy me some time to come up with an answer. Lol. At the end of your interview, they will probably ask you if you have any questions. If they don't, tell them that you have a few questions. I have always done this at every single job interview & also at my Sophie Davis interview. I have always gotten the job & also got accepted into Sophie. Ask each interviewer questions about themselves. If they are a PA, ask them how long have they been a PA & if they went to Sophie. Show interest in them. It shouldn't be a one sided conversation. My experience has shown me that by getting them to talk about their experience with Sophie, it will bring up some happy proud feelings which they will then associate with my interview. It's a psychological trick, sort of like Pavlov's experiment. Lol. Ask any other questions that you may have about the program, but make sure that the answer hasn't already been addressed on the website. This is key!!! If you ask a question that has already been answered on the website, then they will think that you didn't take the time to check the website. Come prepared with your list of questions. Don't feel embarrassed about pulling out your list. I did & I asked all of my questions. I had about 6 or 7 questions. Good luck. I suggest getting to the interview at least 10-15 minutes early. Don't wear any heavy cologne or perfume. I actually chose not to wear any perfume just in case one of my interviewers was allergic or didn't like it. Ladies, keep your make-up minimal. No bright colors. Minimal jewlery as well. I suggest wearing a nice dark skirt-suit or pantsuit with a white or light colored top. Keep shoes simple. This is not the time to showcase your extravagant or wacky shoe collection. Wear simple monochromatic flats or small pumps. Guys, definitely wear a tie!!!! Guys in the program need to wear a tie everyday, so it benefits you to start out in the best foot in the interview. Wear a dark suit & light shirt. Many studies have shown that this combination is the best to impress. (I used to be in sales before PA school, lol). Good luck!!!!

TJL

Congrats to all that got interviews!!! For those of you that still haven't recieved a call, don't worry. They still haven't called all of those chosen for an interview. I wish you the best of luck!! Here are some tips for your interview. Know what the Sophie Davis PA program mission statement is. Know what the PA organizations are (AAPA & NYSSPA). Know what the letters stand for & who the leaders are. The latest director of Sophie Davis PA program is Emilia Medina who is the interim director of the Sophie Davis PA program. Before her was Ms Gemina Gates. The questions that you get asked will depend on who's interviewing you and what you have written in your application, so therefore, questions can vary. Reread your statement letter several times before you get there. They might ask you about it. Look for any weaknesses that your grades or application might have & be ready to address any of them. Be ready to answer why they should pick you as opposed to the other people that will be there that day. The reason has to be more than "I really want it". So does every other applicant. That doesn't set you apart. There is a really great book that I used to help me prepare for my interview. I think it might be helpful. It's called Acing the PA interview by Andrew Rodican. It gives a lot of potential interview questions. I also googled & searched the Internet for interview questions. I practiced asking myself hard questions in the mirror & forced myself to answer them. I rehearsed this all the time. Lol. I looked ridiculous but I was prepared for every single tough question. If they ask you a question, don't panic. Acknowledge the question & let them know that you need to think about it for a second. Try to come up with an answer as quickly as possible. They asked me a question (don't remember what it was) that caught me off guard. I responded with "wow, that's a good question. Never thought about that, hmmm". That was enough to buy me some time to come up with an answer. Lol. At the end of your interview, they will probably ask you if you have any questions. If they don't, tell them that you have a few questions. I have always done this at every single job interview & also at my Sophie Davis interview. I have always gotten the job & also got accepted into Sophie. Ask each interviewer questions about themselves. If they are a PA, ask them how long have they been a PA & if they went to Sophie. Show interest in them. It shouldn't be a one sided conversation. My experience has shown me that by getting them to talk about their experience with Sophie, it will bring up some happy proud feelings which they will then associate with my interview. It's a psychological trick, sort of like Pavlov's experiment. Lol. Ask any other questions that you may have about the program, but make sure that the answer hasn't already been addressed on the website. This is key!!! If you ask a question that has already been answered on the website, then they will think that you didn't take the time to check the website. Come prepared with your list of questions. Don't feel embarrassed about pulling out your list. I did & I asked all of my questions. I had about 6 or 7 questions. Good luck. I suggest getting to the interview at least 10-15 minutes early. Don't wear any heavy cologne or perfume. I actually chose not to wear any perfume just in case one of my interviewers was allergic or didn't like it. Ladies, keep your make-up minimal. No bright colors. Minimal jewlery as well. I suggest wearing a nice dark skirt-suit or pantsuit with a white or light colored top. Keep shoes simple. This is not the time to showcase your extravagant or wacky shoe collection. Wear simple monochromatic flats or small pumps. Guys, definitely wear a tie!!!! Guys in the program need to wear a tie everyday, so it benefits you to start out in the best foot in the interview. Wear a dark suit & light shirt. Many studies have shown that this combination is the best to impress. (I used to be in sales before PA school, lol). Good luck!!!!

TJL

Congrats on getting an interview!! That's the first step!! I just listed some tips above. Check them out. As for the essay, I don't remember exactly what they were about. They gave a choice of about 5 or 6 essays topics. I think half of them were medically or PA related (I think 1 was specifically PA school related). The other were not. I chose one that was not PA related because I figured everyone would pick the PA topic & I wanted to stand out. Lol. I'm sorry. I wish I remembered the topics, but that seems like forever ago & my poor brain is over-stuffed with all the stuff that we are learning now.

Yacosta815,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! I also followed last year's thread during your application and interview process. I was very happy to hear that your were accepted and so glad that as a current student, you continue to share your stories with us! I received a call yesterday for an interview. I'm a bit nervous and I'm trying to get prepared (reading up on schools history, PA profession etc- everything you mentioned before). However you did mention that there would be an essay question and that is only for them to identify if you really wrote the personal essay that accompanies your application; my question is: what was it that they asked you? Is it medically related or just personal questions? I'm a little nervous and would like to get a little information on what goes on during the interview to be better prepared. I'm so excited, God knows how long I've been waiting for this call and all I've had to do for it! I really hope I am accepted :-/

Congrats on getting an interview!! That's the first step!! I just listed some tips above. Check them out. As for the essay, I don't remember exactly what they were about. They gave a choice of about 5 or 6 essays topics. I think half of them were medically or PA related (I think 1 was specifically PA school related). The other were not. I chose one that was not PA related because I figured everyone would pick the PA topic & I wanted to stand out. Lol. I'm sorry. I wish I remembered the topics, but that seems like forever ago & my poor brain is over-stuffed with all the stuff that we are learning now.

Yacosta815,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! I also followed last year's thread during your application and interview process. I was very happy to hear that your were accepted and so glad that as a current student, you continue to share your stories with us! I received a call yesterday for an interview. I'm a bit nervous and I'm trying to get prepared (reading up on schools history, PA profession etc- everything you mentioned before). However you did mention that there would be an essay question and that is only for them to identify if you really wrote the personal essay that accompanies your application; my question is: what was it that they asked you? Is it medically related or just personal questions? I'm a little nervous and would like to get a little information on what goes on during the interview to be better prepared. I'm so excited, God knows how long I've been waiting for this call and all I've had to do for it! I really hope I am accepted :-/

Just want to say that you are amazing. Thanks a lot for the tips :;-D:

Archived