2022-2023 CASPA application cycle. Class of 2025

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2022 at 5:51 PM, hedgehog said:

Hi. This is more of a general Nova question but I am really struggling to find any information on Nova's didactic year. Like does anyone know what the structure of learning is? Like I have a friend who is going to a program and they have to wear business casual 8-5 on campus while I have heard of other programs with hours on campus but more hours off studying on your own. And then I have not been able to find if there is any clinical exposure in the first year. Does anyone know what Nova FTL is like or a place to find this information?

Thank you 🙂

On 10/5/2022 at 5:51 PM, hedgehog said:

Hi. This is more of a general Nova question but I am really struggling to find any information on Nova's didactic year. Like does anyone know what the structure of learning is? Like I have a friend who is going to a program and they have to wear business casual 8-5 on campus while I have heard of other programs with hours on campus but more hours off studying on your own. And then I have not been able to find if there is any clinical exposure in the first year. Does anyone know what Nova FTL is like or a place to find this information?

Thank you 🙂

Hello! I have some info about the structure of the curriculum. 

1st: "uniform" is navy blue scrubs or business casual for lectures. You can wear navy blue scrubs everyday if you wanted. For PD you need to purchase a uniform from the bookstore, which is a T-shirt and shorts.

Schedule: expect to be there 8-5 M-F but that may not be the case every week, but sometimes you start later or end earlier. They provide you a schedule for the full semester at the beginning of the semester. Exams are typically in the mornings and then you may have lectures afterwards. 

Curriculum: you get eased into coursework. You learn the basics during summer and then progress to the clinical medicine part in the fall/spring. Personally I thought this was a good structure overall. For fall/spring clin med they teach in blocks based on organ system.

Tests: During the summer, maybe expect exams almost once weekly until finals. Then during fall/spring expect exams 1-2x/week (usually M and F spaced out). There is a finals week each semester. It isn't as bad as it sounds. 🙂

Clinical exposure: So you won't really get much clinical exposure during didactic. You can volunteer for like special olympics and assist with physicals prior to events but that is more of an extracurricular that the SGA can coordinate for a weekend. 

On 1/21/2023 at 6:06 PM, at1313 said:

Hello! I have some info about the structure of the curriculum. 

1st: "uniform" is navy blue scrubs or business casual for lectures. You can wear navy blue scrubs everyday if you wanted. For PD you need to purchase a uniform from the bookstore, which is a T-shirt and shorts.

Schedule: expect to be there 8-5 M-F but that may not be the case every week, but sometimes you start later or end earlier. They provide you a schedule for the full semester at the beginning of the semester. Exams are typically in the mornings and then you may have lectures afterwards. 

Curriculum: you get eased into coursework. You learn the basics during summer and then progress to the clinical medicine part in the fall/spring. Personally I thought this was a good structure overall. For fall/spring clin med they teach in blocks based on organ system.

Tests: During the summer, maybe expect exams almost once weekly until finals. Then during fall/spring expect exams 1-2x/week (usually M and F spaced out). There is a finals week each semester. It isn't as bad as it sounds. 🙂

Clinical exposure: So you won't really get much clinical exposure during didactic. You can volunteer for like special olympics and assist with physicals prior to events but that is more of an extracurricular that the SGA can coordinate for a weekend. 

Thank you so much for writing this all out. This is very ver helpful 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...