2022-2023 Application cycle

Hey there,
Are there any current students who could talk about your experience at UC Davis?
I only ask because it seems like the five-year average for the PANCE  pass rates has taken a bit of a downturn. Also, I was looking at the faculty/staff, and it seems only about 20% are PAs. I know the program has a good reputation, but it seems like it has undergone some significant changes even before Covid.   I had an interview a few weeks ago that went well, and I received an invitation to apply to the graduate school, but I'm frankly pretty apprehensive.  What do y'all think?

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Christiana11 said:

Hey there,
Are there any current students who could talk about your experience at UC Davis?
I only ask because it seems like the five-year average for the PANCE  pass rates has taken a bit of a downturn. Also, I was looking at the faculty/staff, and it seems only about 20% are PAs. I know the program has a good reputation, but it seems like it has undergone some significant changes even before Covid.   I had an interview a few weeks ago that went well, and I received an invitation to apply to the graduate school, but I'm frankly pretty apprehensive.  What do y'all think?

Hi there,

So most of the staff specific to our program are either PA or both PA and NP. I think you may have looked at the staff page for the entire school, but we only take classes with a select few from that page. The core clinical content and medicine blocks are mostly taught by either physicians or PAs. 

I know the 1st attempt pass rates are all over the place, but the number that really matters is the eventual pass rate (includes all PANCE attempts), which has been over 90% across graduating classes. But keep in mind Davis accepts minimum GPA of 2.7 for science prereqs, which is on the lower end relative to other programs (starting next cohort, the GPA minimum will now be 3.0). So yes, some students may need to take the boards twice before passing but we are also accepting lower GPA applicants. Just something to consider when comparing PANCE pass rates because lets face it, not many programs would consider a 2.7 GPA. You might be comparing PANCE rates with a program that only accepts 3.6+ GPA, so of course their 1st time pass rates would be high. If a program has 100% pass rate, they probably only admit high GPA applicants. Davis cares more about the whole application and diversifying healthcare providers as stated in their mission rather than focusing solely on getting high GPA applicants through the program like other schools.

The bottom line is you need to put in effort to pass the PANCE. The program will present you with the information and Davis does follow PANCE blueprints. You need to study and learn it very well to be well prepared for the PANCE. You follow the blue prints and put in the effort to study, you will be fine at any program. 

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, biopsyd said:

Hope this helps!

Hey there,
Thank you so much for getting back to me; I appreciate your taking the time and your perspective! After going back and looking are almost certainly right about the faculty/staff;  I think the PA and NP programs still had their staff combined on the website when I looked a few months ago. Did y'all recently split those two programs apart?
 You make an excellent point about the GPA! I didn't realize that Davis accepted such a wide range of GPAs, but frankly good for yall. As a non-traditional student, I do appreciate y'alls diversity and holistic approach.
This makes me feel way better, thank you.

16 hours ago, Christiana11 said:

Hey there,
Thank you so much for getting back to me; I appreciate your taking the time and your perspective! After going back and looking are almost certainly right about the faculty/staff;  I think the PA and NP programs still had their staff combined on the website when I looked a few months ago. Did y'all recently split those two programs apart?
 You make an excellent point about the GPA! I didn't realize that Davis accepted such a wide range of GPAs, but frankly good for yall. As a non-traditional student, I do appreciate y'alls diversity and holistic approach.
This makes me feel way better, thank you.

Yes. My cohort was the last to be combined with NP.

The cohort that just started is PA only and future cohorts will be PA only. If diversity is a quality you seek in a program, UC Davis is the program for you! 

Hi everyone! I am currently finishing up my supplemental app and might not be able to submit until maybe Nov 30 or Dec 1. 

I see these two points on the PDF they sent w the instructions in two different sections

• You are not required to upload transcripts or letters of recommendation, as this will be done internally
    using documents previously provided in CASPA. Please note that it can take up to four weeks from the
    December 1 deadline for your documents to be uploaded to your application.
  • You are responsible for ensuring that your updated transcripts are uploaded before the December 1, 2022 deadline.

If it might take up to four weeks after Dec 1 to upload, how can we be responsible that our transcripts are uploaded before Dec 1?

I am just a bit confused 🥲

Based on the instructions in the email, the information session, and past forums, we do not need to worry about submitting the transcripts or the letters of rec. Those will be pulled from our CASPA application manually by their team. Looks like last few years it took a few weeks for the "X" next to the transcripts to be manually removed by the faculty going through the applications. So don't stress! Submit the app, take a deep breath, and dissociate for the next few weeks 😅

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...