Butterfly portable ultrasound machine for PA students

I'm a didactic year PA student in PNW. After talking to some faculties, there's 0 possibilities to get US experience before clinical year. Is it stupid to drop 3k to buy a butterfly portable US for practicing? I have a strong interest in EM, getting some early US experience will be beneficial for my future training. Would be awesome to practice doing FAST exams before I face a crashing pt during rotation. I'm spending 90k+ in tuition alone, dropping 3k on something that keeps me interested in medicine seems like a good idea. Maybe i can get a EM doc/PA to teach me some US skills? Or I can take an online course with classmates? 

Edited by a98139

Don't drop that kind of money on an u/s at this point. Take a course or 2 first. SEMPA has a course.

I have taken some here as well: https://resuscitationgroup.com/  Take their one day intro course and their 2 day critical care course. Both have live models. Both are excellent and reasonably priced. . 

They have an option for purchasing your own u/s at a reduced rate as well. . 

Every place you do an EM rotation will have a machine. No reason to buy one as a student. Also, the butterfly requires a subscription after you purchase it. Others do not. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

While $90k seems like a crazy amount...every $ that you can save will benefit you, especially if it's for something completely unnecessary for didactic or clinical year.  As @EMEDPA said you'll have access to machines on rotations with the people there to teach you. 

You may be missing that $1500 or $3000 if you're hungry after graduation looking for a job or waiting on credentialing, and who knows, you go in wanting EM but maybe you're going to come out a dermatology fiend.  Not sure you can U/S a rash 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator
4 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

To hear the POCUS folks talk, you can u/s anything, including fractures and eyeballs...

In all fairness, you CAN see fractures on POCUS... but I've only ever confirmed one that was pretty doggone obvious on palpation, and that was because I didn't want to wake the X-ray tech.

16 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

In all fairness, you CAN see fractures on POCUS... but I've only ever confirmed one that was pretty doggone obvious on palpation, and that was because I didn't want to wake the X-ray tech.

well aware. we use u/s for fxs in Haiti because we have no xray. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's awesome that you are interested in improving your ultrasound skills, particularly with your interest in EM. With that said, I'd wait until your ER department helps foot the bill for training/CME. Having US skills is certainly helpful in getting a job, but I'm not sure if any HR department will consider "experience with a Butterfuly US as a PA student" as a verified skill vs. evidence of your obvious dedication and interest in Emergency Medicine. In my opinion (as an independent PA and second coverage PA in a very rural high acuity ER), there are a TON of basics in EM to nail down before jumping into high acuity care that requires more advanced level ultrasound skills. FAST exams are super important in emergency medicine, that skill will come with time, MOST of the ER docs I work with (including ER trained) barely know how to turn the ultrasound machine on. Focus on being solid in the basics (even "common rash" or "seemingly benign red eye" complaints can turn into very complex high acuity cases). And definitely continue your pursuit of developing ultrasound skills (especially if you have an interest in international medicine). But don't waste your money now, I don't think buying a butterfly now will effect your job prospects. 

• Upvote 1