White coat credentials

First, unless your PA degree is your academic degree, the MMS should come first.  MDs put MD first because it is specifically their academic degree, not because its there profession (which it is of course, but that is why it is MD/PhD and not the other way around).

Second, less is more.  PA-C only.  No one else cares what everything is and the general perception is that the more you show, the less you know.  Hence the alphabet soup commentary.

You are what you do.  The rest is window dressing.  How pretty you make it is up to you.  But others are gonna judge it so make it look good.  Keep it simple.

G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, SedRate said:

Apparently a dinosaur here as well but FWIW, I do get lots of compliments on it, so when I need a little pick-me-up on a crappy day I put it on. So what if I'm a sucker for occasional recognition? Plus, my white coat is actually very comfortable to wear and it's nice to put on during rounds after being in the 65-degree OR all day. 

This is a good point. In my current clinic, we have zip-up track jackets with the department logo and our names stitched on the front. Usually these get worn for an unofficial “casual Friday” kind of thing, or when people get cold. Mine is hanging on a hook in the break room. If we did white coats, it would be similar: nice as an extra layer. Or maybe for when you need to give bad news, or want that extra sheen of authority. 

8 hours ago, Febrifuge said:

This is a good point. In my current clinic, we have zip-up track jackets with the department logo and our names stitched on the front. Usually these get worn for an unofficial “casual Friday” kind of thing, or when people get cold. Mine is hanging on a hook in the break room. If we did white coats, it would be similar: nice as an extra layer. Or maybe for when you need to give bad news, or want that extra sheen of authority. 

Honestly, I'd actually prefer to wear a track jacket and I think it's more appropriate for Ortho, but they gave me a fancy embroidered white coat instead so that's what I use. Hell, I'd rather have a set of embroidered scrubs as I think anything embroidered is much more professional than the plain hospital-issued scrubs I usually wear. Plus, I don't usually need an extra layer so the scrubs would be more useful.

• Upvote 1

I  (Sarcastically) vote for more.  Be like the RN's with every nursing certification TNCC, SANE, CWCN.... 

Mr. Smith PA-C, MMS, EMT-B, CPR, ATLS, ACLS, guaiac card reading trained 2019, Potty trained 2001.

In all seriousness I say just PA-C, I also do not wear a white coat.    

Edited by cc56
adjust

On 12/22/2021 at 3:45 AM, Kcooper said:

I’m trying to figure out what the embroidery should say on my white coat. 
Which letters should I put on there? I’m also an ATC so I would definitely like to include that but I want some opinions on if I should put it on there or not. 

All my letters would be:

Cooper, PA-C, MMS, ATC

Google would tell me you are an Automated Tube Compensator.

Not what I would put on my white coat (that I don't wear, and don't even know where it is), but I served in the "don't ask, don't tell" years.  Apparently such things are more mainstream today in some places.

For God's sake, just put PA-C.   Maybe but your specialty if you have one.

Boats, PA-C

Emergency Medicine