White coat credentials

• Administrator

I think it's fine to include credentials that are...
- Separate. An MS, MPAS, MMS, etc. are part of your PA-C training
- Significant.  An ATC is, my EMT-B is not.
- Relevant. How does the credential immediately tell others in the know that you have something extra that makes you a better caregiver?

I would never put my CISSP on a white coat.  I might on a business card if I were working as a HIPAA consultant.

I would never put more than my highest religion degree on a card, even if I were functioning on an IRB or medical ethics context.

Between IT, religion, and healthcare, I have enough legitimate postnominals to put any nurse to shame.  I usually just use them in appropriate contexts.  I don't, for example, have my Fellowship of the Academy of Wilderness Medicine on the signature line of my eating disorders email account--why would I?

• Like 1

we used to have these long running disagreements online and people started piling on all their assorted accolades as if that somehow made them more right.

I started adding things like "Perfect Attendance Mrs. Jones' Second Grade Class 1966" or "US Army Alaska Shot Put Champion 1978".

It aggravated just the windbags I was targeting. Everyone else thought it was funny.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TDIowa said:

I've always been of the opinion that the more letters you have behind your name to less you actually do.

Keep it simple!

6 hours ago, CAAdmission said:

The alphabet soup is for nurses and insecure people. 

To the OP, I'd suggest just PA-C and not keep the MMS and ATC. Then again, idk what ATC means because I'm a simpleton, and so when I see someone with a bunch of letters it makes me think the above thoughts. Maybe I'm just jelly of all those letters because I don't have that many. 

• Upvote 1

White coats are dumb. We’re not bench scientists. It’s pure theater, and even more so in outpatient clinics. It’s also, on some level, the same thing as medical billing and coding people who work in a clinic wearing scrubs. 

If the work you do on a daily basis carries some risk of your clothing getting stained, and you’re trying to protect your shirt or blouse and whatever you wear on your bottom half, congrats, maybe you actually need a lab coat.

13 hours ago, ShakaHoo said:

Have not worn my white coat in many years.  Only dinosaurs wear them 🙂

5-11 pants , a  funny political/social commentary T-shirt maybe a scrub top, hiking boots where I'm called Clark or "Doc" (not because I pretend to be a doctor) by my patients, "Lab Coat, I don't need no stinking Lab Coat" my apologies to Eli Wallach! 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, CAdamsPAC said:

5-11 pants , a  funny political/social commentary T-shirt maybe a scrub top, hiking boots where I'm called Clark or "Doc" (not because I pretend to be a doctor) by my patients, "Lab Coat, I don't need no stinking Lab Coat" my apologies to Eli Wallach! 

Cannot forget the raptors in one of the side pockets.

• Upvote 1

Apparently a dinosaur here as well but FWIW, I do get lots of compliments on it, so when I need a little pick-me-up on a crappy day I put it on. So what if I'm a sucker for occasional recognition? Plus, my white coat is actually very comfortable to wear and it's nice to put on during rounds after being in the 65-degree OR all day. 

• Upvote 1