Horrible inpatient/hospital medicine rotation negatively impacting my health

I feel really guilty posting this and please don’t get me wrong I feel so lucky to be in PA school, I have done really well up to this point, but this rotation is so awful I feel like I can’t do this anymore. 😞  I’m doing inpatient medicine and I thought I would like it (I love the patients) but I’m so stressed out I cry every time I get in the car after every shift (which have been averaging about 11 hours a day). There is no support, we are basically given a list of patients to do admissions on and follow  and write progress notes  (anywhere from 6-8) we see our attendings in the morning and that’s it, no check in. There is no one to answer questions and there is no feedback, no idea if my assessments and plans for patients are ok. I’ve had questions about exam findings and meds and there is nobody to ask. The  nurses (who are very nice) ask questions about patients I’m not even following ( like a post-op patient with a glucose of 450) I’m like, I’m just the student- I so scared of making a mistake that could harm a patient, I feel like I am crumbling. The charts are massive and complicated (3+ consults) with so many meds and comorbidities, I’m overwhelmed and notes take me forever (hours) to complete which makes me wonder what I am doing wrong. I have been having chest pain (I don’t have anxiety or panic disorder) I’m nauseous and have no appetite. I’ve actually though if I get into an accident I wouldn’t have to go in. I know that sounds terrible- 😞 I just don’t know what to do. Grateful for any thoughts or advice.

• Administrator

You need to talk to your clinical coordinator about this.  Maybe you need help, maybe the site is just dangerous, but your clinical coordinator should be your first stop when you're feeling overwhelmed.

I will say that I ALWAYS had someone's cell phone number, or knew where the resident work room was, on every inpatient rotation I had.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I agree with the Rev.

Another thought you should keep in mind: strangers don't know what you know and what you don't. A harried RN is going to ask you questions you may not know the answer to: that goes with the territory. Don't panic; just let them know that you'll check with your preceptor. (I'm assuming that the attending is your preceptor? That wasn't clear to me from your note.)

PA students are NOT supposed to be on the own, writing notes without oversight or orders at all (unless countersigned by a provider before submission). If that is not being followed on this rotation, call your clinical coordinator IMMEDIATELY.

You will probably feel dumb on each new rotation. Embrace that. You will get better as you go.

Good luck. Don't let this rotation turn you off to inpatient medicine!

6 hours ago, rev ronin said:

You need to talk to your clinical coordinator about this.  Maybe you need help, maybe the site is just dangerous, but your clinical coordinator should be your first stop when you're feeling overwhelmed.

I will say that I ALWAYS had someone's cell phone number, or knew where the resident work room was, on every inpatient rotation I had.

Thank you so much! I truly appreciate your advice. I thought about reaching out to them, but I don’t want to be seen as a complainer, I’m also terrified if tell them how I’m feeling they will make me get seen/ make me decelerate and then I won’t graduate with my class. I also  think they may say if other students can handle it, then why not you? I only have a couple of rotations left and’ I have not had any issues and always had support from a SP, PA or NP, so this is particularly soul crushing and demoralizing, because I want to learn and take good care of patients, but I feel like I’m drowning in this rotation.

1 minute ago, UGoLong said:

I agree with the Rev.

Another thought you should keep in mind: strangers don't know what you know and what you don't. A harried RN is going to ask you questions you may not know the answer to: that goes with the territory. Don't panic; just let them know that you'll check with your preceptor. (I'm assuming that the attending is your preceptor? That wasn't clear to me from your note.)

PA students are NOT supposed to be on the own, writing notes without oversight or orders at all (unless countersigned by a provider before submission). If that is not being followed on this rotation, call your clinical coordinator IMMEDIATELY.

You will probably feel dumb on each new rotation. Embrace that. You will get better as you go.

Good luck. Don't let this rotation turn you off to inpatient medicine!

Hi, sorry I was not clear. Yes, one of the attendings is my preceptor.  When the nurses have asked what to with some of these patients (especially when I have no idea about them) I hope I am portraying calmness, and I help where I feel I’m competent to,  but on the inside I’m freaking out-  My preceptor does co-sign the notes(on the computer), but there is no feedback or teaching.  Yes, I absolutely feel dumb. I feel like the more I learn, the more I realize how little I actually know and I think that is part of what scares me.  I pray every day will get better (but it has not). I know this is short-term, but I’m really struggling.  I really do think I would like inpatient if I had more guidance, I love taking care of patients, but if I had to work like this as my job, there is no way I could do it. 😞  Thank you for your guidance and reassurance!

Sounds like a poor rotation (just like my cardiology elective before graduation where I just sat in the office and read medical journals every day, M-F, for eight weeks).  NEVER saw a single patient with him in his office.  He had been one of our PGY3 lecturers.  Contact your clinical coordinator!  Your paying for this crap so get your money’s worth.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess
  • Upvote 1

Agree with the above post. My surgery rotation was kinda like that. Except I was made to carry around a bucket of supplies and verbally shat on by the hour. I learned more surgery in OB/GYN. Either ride it out knowing this is temporary (weeks) or make mention to your program. You could also stop pulling so much weight considering they are putting nothing into you. As long as you pass the rotation. 

Either way, in a year or two, this little tidbit experience will seem like an effin joke to you. 

Edited by ANESMCR
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, ANESMCR said:

Agree with the above post. My surgery rotation was kinda like that. Except I was made to carry around a bucket of supplies and verbally shat on by the hour. I learned more surgery in OB/GYN. Either ride it out knowing this is temporary (weeks) or make mention to your program. You could also stop pulling so much weight considering they are putting nothing into you. As long as you pass the rotation. 

Either way, in a year or two, this little tidbit experience will seem like an effin joke to you. 

Thank you! 

I agree with the above. You should talk to your program immediately about the risk and situation that this rotation has put you in. Regarding to the bad experience, I have to tell you that it is not unusual that you will have some great rotation sites and some bad rotation sites. You just have to get through the bad ones and move on to the good ones and try to maximize your learning experience from all of them. Just think that you are not the first one and other people have gotten through it, so you will also get through it. Good luck! 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Talk with your program. You aren’t the only one having problems, and they can’t help if they don’t know. Demonstrate good judgment and get help. If something terrible happens and you try to explain this after the fact, you will get a heck of a lot less sympathy.

We had a problematic peds rotation when I was a student. I personally didn’t have a problem letting the preceptors bullshit roll off my back, but you can bet I still told someone about it and backed up the reports of the other students there. 

• Like 1

Hey everyone! I just wanted to give an update and thank you all for being the beacon of light I really needed! I’m happy to tell you all I passed my rotation and EOR exam! Thank you all so very much! I did meet with my advisor and explained what was happening, and he was glad I spoke up. I never in a million years would have thought I could ever feel as stressed and overwhelmed as I was…I’m so glad that rotation is behind me! I’ve started my next rotation and I’m one on one with my preceptor (who is amazing!! 🙂 and kind!). I have already learned a lot, and I’m excited to got there every day!!  I truly appreciate each and every one of you who offered your advice! 

• Upvote 2