Master's or Bachelor's PA School

• Administrator

Short answer: It shouldn't matter, but it will.

The ARC-PA curriculum is the same between BS and MS level, but the MS level sounds nicer, and lots of HR departments automagically classify employees with masters degrees as more valuable than those with bachelor's. Of course, if you want to work in one of the three states that require a masters, then you need it to even apply.

The GOOD news is that most bachelors' programs are targeting people with tons of high-quality HCE, so the disparity in degree will be ameliorated by the relative imbalance in industry-relevant paid experience.

You'll find that the BS degree PAs around here did or are doing a distance master's after the fact so it must count for something.

I cant speak for the other post grad-MS students, but for me, I am doing it to avoid a scramble *IF* a MS ever became mandatory.

As far as the OPs question, I have never been asked about my degree in any of the 4 PA jobs I have had. Also my salary is the same as the MS holding PAs that I have worked with.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

CCNY is one of my top 5 PA schools. My concern is that CCNY's PA Program is at the Bacherlor's level. Will a person with a Master's have an advantage over me in the job market if I only have a Bachelor's?

Thank you

That school is really inexpensive! Provided there are no downsides with getting a job upon graduation, you'll still come out in good shape even after adding in the cost of a future Master's. The cost of CCNY appears to be literally less than 1/4 of what my target schools are averaging.

How's the location of that school?

And is it tough for an out-of-stater to get in-state status?

Thank you to everyone who was able to answer my question. CCNY appeals to me for several reasons: 1) the diversity of the class. 2) the cost. 3) and mission of the school. The cost is only $483 per credit hour.

According to the school, they do not give preference to in-state applicants. The school truly takes a holistic approach to its class unlike other schools that rank applicants based on GPAs. The location is in Harlem. Harlem is awesome. But it is like any other place in a sense that it has its questionable areas. I live in Kentucky, but visited NYC tons of times for work and to visit in-laws.

On a side note, CCNY is moving to a Masters level program in about 4 years (according to the admissions person).

Thank you to everyone who was able to answer my question. CCNY appeals to me for several reasons: 1) the diversity of the class. 2) the cost. 3) and mission of the school. The cost is only $483 per credit hour.

According to the school, they do not give preference to in-state applicants. The school truly takes a holistic approach to its class unlike other schools that rank applicants based on GPAs. The location is in Harlem. Harlem is awesome. But it is like any other place in a sense that it has its questionable areas. I live in Kentucky, but visited NYC tons of times for work and to visit in-laws.

On a side note, CCNY is moving to a Masters level program in about 4 years (according to the admissions person).

IIRC, ALL programs are moving to Masters in a couple of years.

I think masters can ask for slightly higher pay and would be favored for a job over a bachelors given both applicants had the same level of experience. I'm guessing people with bachelors will be grandfathered in (like NPs without doctorates) when the new rule sets in. It could be a good option, but if possible don't make your decision because it will be cheaper. You'll be able to pay it back.

I think masters can ask for slightly higher pay and would be favored for a job over a bachelors given both applicants had the same level of experience. I'm guessing people with bachelors will be grandfathered in (like NPs without doctorates) when the new rule sets in. It could be a good option, but if possible don't make your decision because it will be cheaper. You'll be able to pay it back.

Have you seen that MS PAs garnered more pay? Because in my area they don't. It may be a regional thing. I have heard of hospitals requiring masters for credentialing so I do see merit to it but just have not seen/experienced the pay diff. Usually experience is the metric for increased pay.

Archived