2021-2022 Application Cycle

I saw that no one had started this cycle's thread yet so here it is! I'll also post my applicant profile here as well. 

Just Applied (5/22/21)

Applicant Profile

Personal Profile:

Sex: Male

State of Residence: MS (underserved/rural county)

Academic:

cGPA: 3.50

sGPA: 3.56

Post-bac cGPA (57 credit hours): 3.66

Post-bac sGPA (46 credit hours): 3.73

***Post-bac performed working full-time, and my wife and I had our baby at the beginning of it all.

Supporting Info:

PCE: ~1,500hrs (ER tech)

HCE: ~4,500hrs (patient transport)

Other relevant work experience: 2 years as a personal trainer

LOR’s: 5 total (1 PA, 1 physician mentor, 3 professors)

Shadowing: 60hrs PA (cardiology, psychiatry), 100+hrs physician (family medicine, internal medicine, pediatric, orthopedic, ER)

Volunteer: ~200hrs (online crisis counselor)

Leadership: 200hrs (president of American Medical Student Association, local chapter)

Research: 150hrs (community-based research and outreach)

Teaching Experience: ~50-60hrs (tutor for a semester)

I will keep this updated with any notices of verification, interview, acceptances, etc. 

Good luck to everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PA2222222

I’m applying to UAB and I took the GRE Monday and received unofficial scores of 152Q 144V, however I have a 4.0 cGPA in M.S. and a 3.8 cGPA in B.S.. Should I retake the GRE in July?

On 6/10/2021 at 9:35 AM, Patricia5827 said:

I wasnt able to attend the open house last night; does anyone know if this is rolling admissions or no?

And is there a letter that is required from a professor? I cant find anything on the website

I think it's rolling admission. Idk if they require a letter from a professor, but assuming having one won't hurt ya. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/24/2021 at 6:54 PM, Sdc12 said:

I’m applying to UAB and I took the GRE Monday and received unofficial scores of 152Q 144V, however I have a 4.0 cGPA in M.S. and a 3.8 cGPA in B.S.. Should I retake the GRE in July?

I would look less at your cumulative and more at your science GPA. I am not sure how much UAB weighs the GRE in their admission decision but there might be some averages or ranges on their website. 

Guest PA2222222
On 7/20/2021 at 12:13 PM, mmjpa said:

I would look less at your cumulative and more at your science GPA. I am not sure how much UAB weighs the GRE in their admission decision but there might be some averages or ranges on their website. 

Thank you.

Did anyone receive a confirmation email yet that all of their application materials were received? I submitted CASPA a while ago and they emailed me with a confirmation saying I am still missing the supplemental and GRE scores. I submitted those about a week ago and still have not heard anything. Just was curious if anyone else got an email when everything was complete.

38 minutes ago, khloeayla said:

Did anyone receive a confirmation email yet that all of their application materials were received? I submitted CASPA a while ago and they emailed me with a confirmation saying I am still missing the supplemental and GRE scores. I submitted those about a week ago and still have not heard anything. Just was curious if anyone else got an email when everything was complete.

You should get an email that says your application is under review! 

Anyone else worried about vaccination levels in Alabama? As one of the most “outdated” and uneducated states I worry moving here for school would be like going to the third world. I’m born and raised in Denver Colorado and I can’t help but have a bit of a bias against the south (racism, uneducated people, etc.). Is it still worth pursuing this opportunity?

16 hours ago, Chrisden87 said:

Anyone else worried about vaccination levels in Alabama? As one of the most “outdated” and uneducated states I worry moving here for school would be like going to the third world. I’m born and raised in Denver Colorado and I can’t help but have a bit of a bias against the south (racism, uneducated people, etc.). Is it still worth pursuing this opportunity?

If you have the bias then I wouldn’t apply to the school, in my opinion 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 7/30/2021 at 8:32 PM, Chrisden87 said:

Lol that kind of attitude you're not gonna get into any schools. At least I hope you don't. It would probably be best to stay in your sheltered democratic city of Denver where you won't be exposed to such scum.

Edited by browens3pa

On 7/30/2021 at 10:32 PM, Chrisden87 said:

Hi, 

I would not worry so much. Racism and uneducated people can be found in every state….even in Colorado. If you truly like the program, I would still pursue this opportunity. Also, the University of Alabama is a great school. 

I'm from Alabama and hearing this stereotype from someone who has never even visited is quite annoying.. Honestly though, I would keep in mind that as a student at UAB, you will be practicing on the same population that you have built a bias/prejudice against. If you're not comfortable with that, then you shouldn't bother applying.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 7:59 PM, khloeayla said:

I submitted everything about a month ago and still haven't received a confirmation email about my application being complete. Just the preliminary email stating that my grades meet the minimum requirements. I've been debating reaching out to the program about it

Wow.. as someone born and raised in Alabama who is educated and wants to stay in Alabama serving my community here, I am appalled by someone who is so closed minded. I hope if you come here, you give us a chance to change your mind. Keep in mind some schools look at these forums.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2021 at 8:28 AM, Sdc12 said:

Did anyone get an email right after submitting the supplemental application?

No, I did not, so I emailed them to make sure it was received. I got an email back from the director of admissions saying that it was received and that I would receive an email regarding my application status once it is processed. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! 

I'm actually a first year PA student at UAB. Although my experience here has been short, the UAB PA program has fought very hard to maintain our in-person education while also protecting our health. I believe that our program has done a very good job at prioritizing our cohort. We do have strict stipulations in place in order that we can continue this pattern - very far from a "third-world" as you say (ex: in order to enter into clinical rotations, we must be vaccinated). Also, the UAB PA program stands to promote diversity in this area and especially in healthcare. As a colored woman and as a future provider, entering the healthcare system means that I will be a public servicer. Therefore, it will be my duty to ~service the public~ regardless of their feelings towards me. It's part of the PA competencies to promote person-centered care, even if they have resentment towards me because of the color of my skin. UAB has a great stronghold within the healthcare and PA community - very far from "uneducated". Overall, I consider it an honor to be part of a program that fights for me, my education, and my future as a PA. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...