week off??

Guest hubbardtim48

I don't understand this thread....if you want to do PA who gives a RATs A$$ about vacations! It is 24-28 months of schooling then you can go on as many vacations as you please...I doubt you get to pick your "vacation" days at a PA program...get real...there is limited time to get the schooling done and I am sure if you went up to a professor in PA school and say I will take my vacation on June 4th-10th, the professor would say good luck on your 4 test during that time:)

I know, obviously no one is stopping the class for you, but in college if you miss a week its not a big deal as long as you're able to make up all of the work. I was curious if it's the same in PA school or if the explicitly tell you that you can't miss x amount of class time.

Guest hubbardtim48

First, if you REALLY want to learn and become a PA why would you not want to learn so you can help your patients that much more? Second, it is graduate school and more specifically PA SCHOOL!!!!! There is NO rest and school is your LIFE for those 2 years. You truly need to look in to being “pre-PA” if all you’re concerned about is a family vacation…. WOW is all I can say…

Guest hubbardtim48

Don't wear panties, I'm a dude, and if you are sooooo worried about vacation then don't apply and go on vacation....I just don't understand the nature of the question and how you can be concerned about going on vacation....you should be more worried about fighting for a seat in PA school....2,000+ applicants for 60 seats at my school and I just read on another thread, 1,200+ applicant for 30 seats...Those numbers reflect a 2.5-3% acceptance rate so instead of dreaming about the beach worry more about GPA, GRE, HCE, volunteering, etc...:)

I hope I didn't come across as "sooooo worried," I was just legitimately curious. A family friend was just talking about her vacation and she's in PA school. I didn't get a chance to ask her if her school was out for the week or if she just didn't attend class.

I apologize if this is a really stupid question but during the summer portion of the didactic year are students allowed to take like a week off for a family vacation?

To put it in a very amicable way, without someone twisting off on your question....no, you do not get to choose when you take vacation. It's a whole new ballgame at this level.

I am attending Medex at UW and am in the middle of summer vacation. Finals ended June 8, start clinical year on the second week of September. During our didactic year there were some weeks that were lighter than others and a student here and there took a three or four day weekend (missing one or two days of instruction) for some personal leisure. It was a case by case basis and had a few things factored in such as grades and professional conduct. The program has a strong desire to promote mental wellness and understands that taking a bit of time to tend to one self can be scholastically and professionally beneficial. All that being said, my class is made up of paramedics, nurses, and military medical professionals with an average HCE of 8+ years. We have a pretty good foundation to build upon and guide our self study to keep up with instruction.

I am attending Medex at UW and am in the middle of summer vacation. Finals ended June 8, start clinical year on the second week of September. During our didactic year there were some weeks that were lighter than others and a student here and there took a three or four day weekend (missing one or two days of instruction) for some personal leisure. It was a case by case basis and had a few things factored in such as grades and professional conduct. The program has a strong desire to promote mental wellness and understands that taking a bit of time to tend to one self can be scholastically and professionally beneficial. All that being said, my class is made up of paramedics, nurses, and military medical professionals with an average HCE of 8+ years. We have a pretty good foundation to build upon and guide our self study to keep up with instruction.

3 month vacay??? niiiice

I don't think it is a dumb question. How do you know if you don't ask, right? Classes are rigorous and not a lot of time for vacation. I had a couple of scheduled weeks off between Summer/Fall quarters & Spring/Summer, etc. Your schedule/time off is pretty much decided and will be given to you during orientation (most likely). Lead pipe? You may occasionally need one when posting on this forum ;)

Oh my gosh, 3 months... How long is your program in total Steve? Also, are you doing a Masters, cert or Bachelors? For our didactic year, we're following the schedule of the rest of the campus until summer semester (fall break, a month for Christmas, spring break), and then the party's over. From Summer of didactic year until finals of the Clinical year, I think the longest break we get is 2 weeks (for Christmas). Btw, I'm in a 2 year masters degree.

I am in the Bachelors program with plans to do an online masters once I start working. We started the program with a 14 week online class in March of 2011, convened for six weeks on campus that summer, had a month off, then started full time in September. Summer break now in 2012, we graduate August of 2013, doing clinicals full time up to that date. The Master students have their capstone project this summer so their break is shorter.

OP: This is a valid question. Missing a week of lecture during didactic it would have been roughly the equivalent of missing 1 month of undergrad lecture. That's what happens when you have 8 hours of lecture every day. I don't believe anyone would have been approved for a full week off, but I did miss a week due to medical challenges (surgery). It took 3 weeks to make up the work I missed.

We were given a 2 week break between each semester except summer-fall during didactic. During clinical year there are no breaks except regular holidays.

• 2 weeks later...

I am just curious about the life of a PA student. I was very successful student in undergrad. I majored in Biochemistry and minored in Psychology. My GPA was 3.78. I was also very through, reading my text books cover to cover making lots of notes and going over every little detail that I did not completely understand with my professors and peers. After hearing about the curriculum of many PA programs I wonder how do you learn/memorize anything. Being in class from 8AM-7PM, 5+ days a week with no breaks of vacations, when do you have time to read, study and review the material. I really want to be a health care provider and I am very serious about my education and studies. Plus, how is one expected to work 100 hour weeks? Is it really humanly possible to be awake and competent for 24+ hours? Can any successful current/past PA student explain their tactics, etc? How can a pre-PA student prepare for the rigors of PA school?

I would appreciate any of your help.

Thank you,

Verónica

Archived