Hi,

Looking for anyone with knowledge on occupational therapy and that field of work!

I am currently struggling pick a focus for how to pursue my master's degree. I originally planned on becoming a PA, but have been very discouraged as to amount of PCE hours and gap year(s) I'd have to take in order to do so. I am considering switching my global public health major to OT, and begin an accelerated program to get my masters at my current university. This is a big commitment and I can't change my mind as the process would begin this fall. 

Is OT a dying field? I've heard it's becoming similar to PT in the sense jobs are hard to come by, and sometimes the pay isn't worth the debt. 

It at the moment seems much better than PA to me, but I don't want to get stuck on a pathway I can't get out of. 

Any advice helps,

Thanks. 

I’m a little confused about your major switching-you have to apply to OT school similar to PA school, but your current school has an accelerated OT program your are thinking of changing into?

OT and PT does have a lot of similarities, but also a lot of differences. They are usually found working in the same settings, but with different emphasizes and skill sets.

I don’t think it is a dying field nor that jobs are more difficult to come by-COVID has hit all the medical fields this past year though. With any medical profession, one can always find a job if you are willing to move and/or work possibly in a setting/place that is not your first choice. But the great thing about the medical fields are that you can work in a setting and wait and watch for an opening for your dream job.

As to debt vs  salary, I have heard this could be an issue with both OT and PT. I’m sure there are some financial reports out there that can give you more specifics on this topic.

2 hours ago, Janie55 said:

I’m a little confused about your major switching-you have to apply to OT school similar to PA school, but your current school has an accelerated OT program your are thinking of changing into?

OT and PT does have a lot of similarities, but also a lot of differences. They are usually found working in the same settings, but with different emphasizes and skill sets.

I don’t think it is a dying field nor that jobs are more difficult to come by-COVID has hit all the medical fields this past year though. With any medical profession, one can always find a job if you are willing to move and/or work possibly in a setting/place that is not your first choice. But the great thing about the medical fields are that you can work in a setting and wait and watch for an opening for your dream job.

As to debt vs  salary, I have heard this could be an issue with both OT and PT. I’m sure there are some financial reports out there that can give you more specifics on this topic.

So my university has an OT masters program that if I commit to, I will begin junior year of my undergrad with the OT specific courses. I have to make this decision as I either will begin the OT route, or stay in my current major (Public Health) and continue to get the pre reqs needed for PA, then apply to PA school once I graduate.