Masters of Biomedical Sciences for PA School

Guest mohmay

Hello,

To summarize, I'm a hopeful Pre-PA student who has unfortunately messed up quite a lot during my Undergraduate years and ended with a cGPA of 3.02 (my school offers grade-forgiveness), and a scGPA that I didn't even bother trying to calculate given that it would obviously be under a 3.0. This was due to personal arrogance in thinking I could handle such a rigorous courseload while also working and thus not taking it as seriously as I should. Thankfully, I was accepted into a Masters of Biomedical Sciences program and am enrolled currently in hopes of taking more advanced upper-level science courses to curb a low Undergrad GPA. As of now, my Graduate GPA is a 3.33 (and the pandemic has unfortunately made everyone's personal life very difficult in trying to focus on these heavy courses remotely and am expecting my GPA to take a dip). At this point, I am strongly de-motivated and feel that I may be wasting tuition on a degree that may not even benefit me in achieving my goal in becoming a PA. I have approximately 2,648 hours worth of medical scribing experience (2,124 working as an ED scribe in a level 1 trauma center and currently 524 as a Hospitalist Medicine Scribe) and about 831 hours of volunteer work at my local hospital's Emergency Department. I'm writing this in hopes of gaining some advice moving forward and truly appreciate any input anyone can give.

-Thanks.

Even if your school offers grade forgiveness, CASPA doesn’t. CASPA will calculate your cGPA from all courses taken. I would recommend calculating your cumulative and science GPAs including ALL of your coursework to see where you’re at. 

In terms of your masters, a lot of times these biomedical science programs are geared towards pre-med students. I personally think you would be better off just taking undergraduate level science courses. This is because getting anything less than a 4.0 right now isn’t a great idea for you. It will only make this process take longer than it needs to. Taking challenging graduate level science coursework that you’re not able to perform well in isn’t the best way for you to rehab your GPA. 

Edited by hmtpnw
  • Like 1