Level 1 ER PA Permanently Redeployed to Vaccine Clinic Due to Low ER Volumes

Looking for advice.

I was working at a Level 1 ER Trauma; this was an awesome job, with a great team and mentorship. Although volume has declined our acuity has certainly increased. I was abruptly permanently redeployed to a vaccine clinic "due to low volume numbers" and have been reassured multiple times that it has nothing to do with my performance as a PA. I keep asking for a formal letter that outlines the reasoning behind my abrupt redeployment from my original position of hire, but HR continues to refuse. I love emergency medicine and want to continue an ER career, but am concerned future employers will question this sudden gap or "demotion" to a vaccine clinic. Do I have any recourse here? I understand that we are in tough times right now and I should probably appreciate whatever job I can get. The vaccine clinic position is good for 3 months. I feel like they are trying to keep from laying me off and hoping I will just  quit. Thoughts on continuing forward with an ER career after this abrupt change? Anyone else dealing with increased uncertainty with their ER position as volumes decline etc?

I would hope that after the vaccine is widely distributed ED volumes will become more stable, resulting in a return to your prior position. Stick it out for now, but be looking for alternatives if they do lay you off in 3 months. Maybe find a per diem EM position that has the potential to transition to full time. That situation sucks. Good luck. 

Sounds like they are doing everything they can to keep you in a job. Unless there's something you're not relating on here I don't seem them trying to make you quit.

Volumes are down everywhere, loads of PAs have been dropped or massive hour cuts in about every ED I know. 

Speak with your medical director or collaborating physician, get their input?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I doubt you have any recourse, nor do I doubt any future employer will care.

It is a TERRIBLE time to be in EM.  NPs are pushing us out from the bottom, and we are being squeezed from the top by FP trained EM docs who are being replaced by BC EPs. 

What will the future look like?  I dunno.  If you WANT to do EM, I would try to hold onto that 3 month position and hope that EMED is right and volumes pick back up.  Meanwhile look for other EM jobs.

Best of luck to you.

• Like 1