Deciding between two schools in California.

I am having a difficult time deciding between two schools any current help will be greatly appreciated  

UC Davis 

65 students 

tuition about 140k 

27 months 

well known and established program 

Western 

90+ students 

tuition 90k

A strong alumni network 

2 years long 

I am having a difficult time deciding where to go, I want to get the best education possible and after look into a loan forgiveness position. 

thank you! 

Hi, thank you all for replying to my post.

I am leaning towards attending UCD, my only concern will be the debt but wouldn't a loan forgiveness program help with the repayment of the loan? also, although the program no longer participates in a dual credit, the school itself has a good name, could that possibly provide me with better opportunities in the future? 

On 2/9/2021 at 7:00 AM, FloresPA said:

Hi, thank you all for replying to my post.

I am leaning towards attending UCD, my only concern will be the debt but wouldn't a loan forgiveness program help with the repayment of the loan? also, although the program no longer participates in a dual credit, the school itself has a good name, could that possibly provide me with better opportunities in the future? 

I have yet to research this but according to some financial savvy PA-Cs who have paid out all their loans a loan forgiveness program is not the best way to go.

As a Californian native who has worked in a healthcare corporation as a medical assistant I have yet to see UC Davis making more of a name for yourself than Western University. I usually take the the US News PA school ranking with a grain of salt but the fact that they are both #74 just proves my point. Also most establish PA-Cs will tell you that where you go to school does not affect your ability to get jobs. 

I originally wrote a longer post but I thought it would be too much an eyesore so to summarized 

Western (I won't do won't for UC Davis because their cons are Westerns pros and vice versa)

Pros: 

• 50K cheaper
  • PANCE rate although I have seen better is 5% higher on average than UC Davis and they have done better than UC Davis every year apart from 2018 (UC Davis has yet to published their 2020 Pass rate) 

Cons

• Shorter program
    • Didactic 13 months  vs 15 months in UC Davis 
    • Clinical 11 months vs 12 months in UC Davis 
  • Larger cohort which isn't necessarily a con for most people it's just something to factor into . 

Personally for me I would choose Western just because UC Davis does not seem worth the extra 50K. 

On 2/8/2021 at 10:38 PM, Doppio_Espresso said:

But doesn't UCD also give you an NP degree after you finish? If it's a dual PA/NP degree, I would go there in a heartbeat since that may open up more opportunities down the road. 

I know this is off-topic from OP's post, but I believe the dual PA/NP degree was given to NP students only (which kinda comes across as an end-around).

Per their website: "Due to accreditation-limited enrollment and the need to ensure all physician assistant (P.A.) seats are filled by P.A. students, the dual-track option is no longer offered. Nurses exploring future career options..."

Oof.  That extra $50k is pretty significant.  The smaller class sizes are nice though, easy to get lost in a larger cohort.  Shorter programs aren't necessarily better.  While PANCE pass rates are important the vast majority of programs out there are 27 months (unless things have changed), and I'm curious how they cut out 3 months of instruction without losing important didactic and clinical time.

Passing the PANCE isn't everything.