Job requires MS, EM PA residency & CAQ

Paula --->>> UNMC

As for "LakenHeath"... I've been there for a few days twice.

Once as a Paratrooper, while in transit during the 1st Gulf War in Oct. 1990, then again while working as a contractor in Iraq in 2005.

Both times convinced me that it would SUCK to be stuck there for a yr or more.

I've also spent the equivalent of about 15 days on other parts of that Island (Mildenhall in Suffolk and ,, London)...

No thanks.... glad I'm a "non-qual"... :wink:

U. nebraska distance learning option (DLO) can be completed in 1 yr

Actually can be completed in 6 months (stated in the paperwork/packet UNMC sends.)...

As it only took me about 72hr per course (x3) and the longest delay is completing the documented clinical hrs.

Mainly because we don't see patients every 7-15 minutes in Psychiatry, as our minimum appointments are 30 minutes and I was doing inpatient psych in a facility with a average LOS of 8 days, limited to 16 beds so yeah... I needed 9.5 months to get the 800 they required.

I should have said 1 yr or less(as opposed to most which take 2 yrs).

I am also unqualified for the job posted above(no residency). by my best guess calculation there are 10 pa's in the country who meet all qualifications as most folks with a residency don't have an MS and vis versa (see my revised comments in post 1)

nebraska now costs $11,083 for the whole program. when I took it total cost was 1800 dollars. still a deal today at less then 12k for a recognized/accredited ms degree. this program is acceptable for admission the the DHSc programs at both Nova and ATSU.

link to program:

http://www.unmc.edu/alliedhealth/padlp.htm

I just sent this to the recruiter:

Don't know if this was a typo or not regarding requirements. the ad stated:

MS degree required

EM PA fellowship required

NCCPA specialty certification in EM required.

By my calculation your applicant pool is only about 10 em pa's in the entire country. The NCCPA emergency medicine certificate of added qualification in emergency medicine exam has only been given once in Sept 2011. That was the inaugural exam. 142 pa's(including me) passed it. It will be given again this september and ever year thereafter. Of the 142 who passed, probably 100 also have an MS. Of those 100 probably only 10 have also completed an EM PA postgrad fellowship/residency program. Until there is a larger pool of CAQ qualified candidates you may want to drop the requirement for the CAQ. Also many qualified candidates likely have only a BS degree as this was the standard degree offered for many years. The pool of residency grads in EM is fairly small as well as there are only 19 programs and most only take a few students/yr so probably 80 folks total in the country have completed an em pa postgrad program of some sort of the 8000 pa's practicing emergency medicine. hope that helps.

Guest Paula

Thanks, I had looked at UNMC and had my application in. I could never get my SP to do his part and submit his CV. By the time I was going to approach him again to get his CV the cost of the program doubled to the $11,000. That was the end. I have looked at Touro's online and have applied. It's relatively new and I haven't heard back from them. It is $4500 for the program and takes one year. I've checked both Nova and ATSU. I just cannot swallow the cost. My employer just agreed last week I could use my CME funds to pay for the Touro program if I get in and there is no requirement to have the SP involved, which will be better in the long run . My CME account is $4000 per year.

Guest Paula

Yes, it is $4,500. I about fell off my chair when I saw the tuition, but it was verified by a phone call to them. Maybe since the online completion program is new they are testing it out with a few students? And if successful, will raise tuition at some point. I hope I get accepted...but...no word yet.

I like my CME account, but it is a trade off for no family health insurance, no retirement plan. I do get 4 weeks a year vacation and this is my first year at the clinic. Plus all the federal holidays, and all the special Indian holidays paid. I'm bragging, but then, there is no guarantee of a job from year to year as when a new tribal council is voted in, they have the ability to fire anyone they want...and they do! It's much like changing the positions in the White House when a new president is elected, except it is every 2 years.

It really "sucks" to work for the local gov't!

... [brevity edit]... there is no guarantee of a job from year to year as when a new tribal council is voted in, they have the ability to fire anyone they want...and they do! It's much like changing the positions in the White House when a new president is elected, except it is every 2 years. It really "sucks" to work for the local gov't!

Yeah...

BTDT (been there, done that) with the Lummi, Swinomish and Tulalip tribes and it SUCKED...!!!

Cause basically if you ain't native... you ain't "Ish" in their eyes, and they don't even like each other so a "non-native" ain't got nothin comin...

Basic order of Dislike from most to least:

Whites

Hispanics/Latinos

Blacks

Natives NOT of their particular tribe

Natives of their tribe but NOT of their particular family

YMMV

Contrarian

I am doing the ATSU APA program now and I have one more year left. It is kinda pricey but I do not have a BA/BS (yes we still exist :;;D: ) and ATSU is the only option I found for that.

I was wondering why we can't claim our MS classwork as CME CAT I hours? I mean it is the EPITOME of continuing medical education, is it not?

I wonder if the " Certification as an Emergency Medicine Physician Assistant by the National Committee on Certification Physician Assistants " means CAQ or just NCCPA certified. EMED- did they get back to you?

Surprising since as you said there are so few candidates for those quals.

They may soon realize they need to loosen the criteria.

didn't hear back from them yet. if they drop the CAQ their applicant pool probably is still only 40-50 folks or so with MS+ residency as most residency grads have a Cert/AS/BS. until very recently there were less than 10 em postgrad programs and they each took only a few/yr. my guess is that there are only 80 residency grads practicing and several who have already retired. I work with an em residency grad from the program at USC which no longer exists. he is 61 and has a cert. only. also never took pance. Their best bet would be "grad of a pa program plus a residency or 10 yrs experience in em". I have seen that ad before elsewhere. that makes their applicant pool around 2-3 thousand of the 8000 pa's who work in em.

There is a new em residency program opening soon in Hawaii. I am actually tempted to take a 1 yr unpaid sabbatical from work to do it after I complete the DHSc. then I would be "residency trained and board certified in emergency medicine" which as a catch phrase makes em docs look very hard at ones application....

Guest Paula
Yeah...

BTDT (been there, done that) with the Lummi, Swinomish and Tulalip tribes and it SUCKED...!!!

Cause basically if you ain't native... you ain't "Ish" in their eyes, and they don't even like each other so a "non-native" ain't got nothin comin...

Basic order of Dislike from most to least:

Whites

Hispanics/Latinos

Blacks

Natives NOT of their particular tribe

Natives of their tribe but NOT of their particular family

YMMV

Contrarian

You nailed it exactly!

nebraska now costs $11,083 for the whole program. when I took it total cost was 1800 dollars.

WOW...talk about tuition inflation! I completed this program in 1993 at the $1800 rate~ good deal.

Can't say I would even consider it now for that going price....doesn't give an edge in the job market here unless a PA is in academics.

Ridiculous, the whole job advert. But, seeing as it's in England, they're obviously a little more blinded to the realities of the PA world. What's funny is that they're not likely to attract many applicants anyway because of it's location, so why be so restrictive? If it weren't for the CAQ requirement, I'd be eligible to apply to this position, but not sure I'd really want to.

Archived