Low PCE schools?

Is anyone familiar with any schools that accept students with pce under 1000 hrs but like higher gpa? The issue I am having is PA websites will say their minimum pce hrs is 200 but the average applicant they accept has like 2000 hrs. So, is anyone familiar with any PA schools on the east coast(MD, PA, VA, NJ, NY, SC, NC) where they have been accepted or heard of others being accepted with low pce under 1000 hrs? Thank you!

40 minutes ago, ChristianPrePA said:

My school, Marywood University in PA has an 500 hour PCE requirement. Average is around 1900 though. Many internal applicants are accepted below 1000, but if you're an external student it's gonna be more competitive and should probably have around 1500 for any school in my opinon. I just made a YT video on PCE hours actually.

Hi! Thank you so much for your response! I will look into this school.

• Like 1

Hi strawberry9090! My school (Westfield State University) also has a minimum of 500 PCE hours. Don’t not apply to a program because of the average statistics, because the range can be very large and skew the average. I know a few of us in my cohort have 10,000+ hours, I had 23,000- but there are also new grads that have the minimum or just above, so you see how that can inflate the “average”?  As long as you shine in other areas of your application, you should be fine! My advice is call the programs and see if you can speak with someone about your concerns, some programs are really helpful with this! Good luck to you!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vBH-wMR42MOhMvQRARKoYv0jWZ2xR4WQQ7gbE-4sIe4/edit

The spreadsheet is a list of every school with every prereq. You can sort the list by number of hours of PCE required by each program. Most programs admit students based off the totality of their application. So just because you do not meet the average number of PCE hours, as long as you meet the minimum requirement and are competitive in other areas you still have a good chance.

2 minutes ago, DomRRTtoPA said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vBH-wMR42MOhMvQRARKoYv0jWZ2xR4WQQ7gbE-4sIe4/edit

The spreadsheet is a list of every school with every prereq. You can sort the list by number of hours of PCE required by each program. Most programs admit students based off the totality of their application. So just because you do not meet the average number of PCE hours, as long as you meet the minimum requirement and are competitive in other areas you still have a good chance.

Thank you for the link. I will certainly take a look. I was attending a few PA school info sessions where their minimum pce was 500 hrs but they were saying the avg is 1500. If you dont have 1500 hrs then dont bother applying was the message I got. So that's why I wanted to ask ppl if they know of others who got accepted with like 500 hrs or less on the east coast. 

On 1/19/2021 at 8:39 AM, DomRRTtoPA said:

Where was this when I was applying? Honestly I find that application committees are really subjective. It's hard because I feel like a lot of school lower their minimum requirements so that more people apply. I feel like it's best to either attend information sessions and/or contact the school to get a feel of what they think. 

I would also maybe look at the stats. For me I would specifically look at age of the cohort and their GPA. I might be wrong but if they have applicants with a higher GPA, it means they judge more on that than "holistically" like some schools. Also pay attention if they have a 100% PANCE rate. Those school are more likely to accept students who can help them keep their PANCE rates up and therefore will likely go for high GPA over PCE. For the age, I could be wrong but I feel like the younger you are the less PCE you might have (especially if you get in when you just graduated college at 21) so that might be a clue. 

Edited by Christine616

9 minutes ago, Christine616 said:

Where was this when I was applying? Honestly I find that application committees are really subjective. It's hard because I feel like a lot of school lower their minimum requirements so that more people apply. I feel like it's best to either attend information sessions and/or contact the school to get a feel of what they think. 

I would also maybe look at the stats. For me I would specifically look at age of the cohort and their GPA. I might be wrong but if they have applicants with a higher GPA, it means they judge more on that than "holistically" like some schools. Also pay attention if they have a 100% PANCE rate. Those school are more likely to accept students who can help them keep their PANCE rates up and therefore will likely go for high GPA over PCE. For the age, I could be wrong but I feel like the younger you are the less PCE you might have (especially if you get in when you just graduated college at 21) so that might be a clue. 

Thank you! That is a good point

On 1/19/2021 at 11:46 AM, strawberry9090 said:

I was attending a few PA school info sessions where their minimum pce was 500 hrs but they were saying the avg is 1500. If you dont have 1500 hrs then dont bother applying was the message I got. So that's why I wanted to ask ppl if they know of others who got accepted with like 500 hrs or less on the east coast. 

You cant have an average of 1500 without a normal distribution between the minimum and maximum in a sample size of 30-60. I got the sense during my years of applying that programs tend to look at applications holistically. Do not let fear rule your heart, those programs are still worth applying to. 

4 hours ago, DomRRTtoPA said:

To be honest, I don't know why someone didn't take the initiative to do this before me. I made it for myself but decided to share it since I wont be needing it anymore.

I did one myself but I didn't include all the schools just ones I was interested in lol. So kudos on spending the time to make that document. 

• 1 year later...

Hello,
I am also applying this cycle. My current GPA is 3.92 and science GPA is 3.91. I have about 1600 hours of PCE (GI+PCP), Community service 200 hours, Volunteering/Healthcare @nursing home 80 hours, PA shadowing (GI) 150 hours, and Tutoring on campus (chem, bio, psyc, stats) 250 hrs. 
I am currently trying to get certified for Phlebotomy before April 29th, when CASPA opens.

But i wanted to take opinion that do you think I can apply this year and get into program? Or do you think I should apply to next cycle. Also do you think if I apply and submit my application by May 25th then I will be risking my chances of getting into the program?

i am planning to apply to Stony brook, Rutgers, cuny, nyit, hofstra, touro, and few more.

Thank You

Pooja Desai