48 hours to sign an urgent care contract. All advice welcome

I interviewed in an urgent care on Tuesday in person and got an offer on Thursday night. Now they want the contract signed by Saturday... when I asked for a few more days to review the contract, I was told no because they need to fill the position and have back up candidates if I decline  

Pay: 88,000 per year 

training: 2 wks with another PA at 20$ Per hour then I’m on my own 

schedule: 3.5-12 hr days per week, 1 on call day a week, and every other weekend/ holiday. Plus you could work up to 5 days a week without additional compensation, but they said it never happens (it isn’t in the contract though and I know you can’t go off of what someone says)

healthcare: 50% match up to 300$

cme: accrued at 75ish$ biweekly (2000$ over a year- lose at end of  contract)

Vacation: accrued 3 ish hours biweekly (2 wks a year)

sick/ personal: accrued 1.5 ish hrs biweekly (1 wk a year) 

covered malpractice w tail end 

It’s my first offer and either something feels off or it’s my nerves. .. any advice welcome💀

update: I asked to shadow for a few days and they declined saying that it breaks hippa and is unfair to their patients, but made sure to add that they aren’t hiding anything. I’m turning it down

Edited by JustTryingMyBest
New title

46 minutes ago, JustTryingMyBest said:

I interviewed in an urgent care on Tuesday in person and got an offer on Thursday night. Now they want the contract signed by Saturday... when I asked for a few more days to review the contract, I was told no because they need to fill the position and have back up candidates if I decline  

Pay: 88,000 per year 

training: 2 wks with another PA at 20$ Per hour then I’m on my own 

schedule: 3.5-12 hr days per week, 1 on call day a week, and every other weekend/ holiday. Plus you could work up to 5 days a week without additional compensation, but they said it never happens (it isn’t in the contract though and I know you can’t go off of what someone says)

healthcare: 50% match up to 300$

cme: accrued at 75ish$ biweekly (2000$ over a year- lose at end of  contract)

Vacation: accrued 3 ish hours biweekly (2 wks a year)

sick/ personal: accrued 1.5 ish hrs biweekly (1 wk a year) 

covered malpractice w tail end 

It’s my first offer and either something feels off or it’s my nerves. .. any advice welcome💀

It's pretty bad.

Item 1) Pressuring you to sign.  This should never happen and is simply an example of them considering you a disposable commodity.

Item 2) Pay is terrible, especially for UC.  That's $40/hr, and even the THOUGHT of having to work uncompensated days? No way in hell. That shouldn't be an option. (Edit: You're actually getting less than $40/hr, I didn't count up the 104hrs of OT you'd be pulling every year)

Item 3) PTO in general should be about 3 wks, especially when you're doing 42hrs/week, you'll burn out.

Item 4) $300/mo for health insurance? I wish you the best of luck in that.

I'd go with your gut on this one.  And while I have a job and this is easy for me to say, I don't think I'd even counter offer.  This sounds like a group that will use and abuse you followed by replacing you without a second thought.

Edit: That training pay is BS as well.  JFC.

Edited by MediMike
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I know there is a pandemic going on and bills and school loans need to be paid but as a medical provider who is possibly 100K+ in debt, do not work for $40/hr. I make more than that as a RN.

Don't even entertain them by countering that offer.

UCs make BANK on APPs, there is a reason they are seeking an APP and not a physician. 

Edited by Diggy
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MediMike said:

It's pretty bad.

Item 1) Pressuring you to sign.  This should never happen and is simply an example of them considering you a disposable commodity.

Item 2) Pay is terrible, especially for UC.  That's $40/hr, and even the THOUGHT of having to work uncompensated days? No way in hell. That shouldn't be an option. (Edit: You're actually getting less than $40/hr, I didn't count up the 104hrs of OT you'd be pulling every year)

Item 3) PTO in general should be about 3 wks, especially when you're doing 42hrs/week, you'll burn out.

Item 4) $300/mo for health insurance? I wish you the best of luck in that.

I'd go with your gut on this one.  And while I have a job and this is easy for me to say, I don't think I'd even counter offer.  This sounds like a group that will use and abuse you followed by replacing you without a second thought.

Edit: That training pay is BS as well.  JFC.

I second this. They are just looking for cheap labor.

I’m 1.5 years in as an NP.  I used quite a bit of the info off this site to negotiate my first jobs so I’m happy to give feedback on this to help out.   One of those is still an Urgent Care position and an employer health clinic I do PRN along with FT family practice .  Located Great Lakes region.

I started at the UC at $50 and the employer clinic at $45 (UC lite?) both hourly.  I leveraged strong professional and preceptor recommendations to get those and they were well above the BLS MSA minimum I was initially offered.  The standard FT benefits were $3000 cme, 3 weeks PTO, 4% match 401k, malpractice, hsa with health insurance.  Don’t know the rvu structure as I never saw a contract as PRN but the above was mentioned to me by peers for FT position.  PRN benefits include PTO accrual with 401k and Roth (rare), malpractice, and UpToDate.  This is a great place to work.

One thing that ended up being beneficial was starting the PRN job as that was something I did right after certification and was my first job. It allowed me to get DEA and credentialing going and get a collaborative agreement initiated as well as gaining professional experience which was useful for when I started my FT position.

The family practice I started earlier this year at $90,000 4 days a week/1 weekend a month(3hrs).  No call.  HSA, IRA with match, 75% health insurance paid, malpractice with tail, CME/professional expenses covered, 3 wK PTO, and end of year bonus.  I just recently received a raise and generous bonus for the end of the year.  I feel pretty fortunate to be in this job.  Most importantly, my collaborating physician is awesome.

I am very fortunate to have the positions I work at and it's due to working hard during clinical and establishing a reputation I could use in negotiating.

Training pay is BS because if you have your NPI and DEA/CSR, and Credentialing, you are able to bill and generate income.  Brush up on your visit levels/coding and understand what you generate and then compare it to what you are getting paid.  Understand and believe in the value you bring.  It’s the biggest takeaway I got from this forum and I feel it worked well for me as well as the networking I was able to do during clinical.

Lots of red flags in that offer.  I feel starting well is so important in this field.  You reputation is so important.  Good luck and I hope this helps give some perspective.

Edited by BushwickBill
Added info