The Urgent Care: threat or menace (to my career)?

As some of you may remember, the ER is where I got my pre-PA-school experience. It's the mindset and culture I learned in. And I've found it really valuable in assessing "sick/ not sick" in my job in the Urgent Care. What's really interesting and unexpected is how much I like the UC, and how well it fits my goals for my family and life outside work, for the forseeable future.

But while it's easy to think, "someday I'll get back to the real ER," as a practical matter I have to admit it's tough to imagine just switching back. I have some contacts, but no one I see or talk to very often. Being 50 and trying to land an ER job, with 10 years of UC experience? I mean... maybe. I guess.

So, what ideas and opinions do you have? I'm not totally sure there's even a question in here, but seeing what people think should be interesting. I might be perfectly happy being Urgent Care Guy indefinitely. I might switch to some other specialty entirely, taking a slight pay cut or otherwise accepting new-hire conditions. But if there is a specific strategy that would make the ER easier to get back to, it would be nice to plan for it.

As some of you may remember, the ER is where I got my pre-PA-school experience. It's the mindset and culture I learned in. And I've found it really valuable in assessing "sick/ not sick" in my job in the Urgent Care. What's really interesting and unexpected is how much I like the UC, and how well it fits my goals for my family and life outside work, for the forseeable future.

But while it's easy to think, "someday I'll get back to the real ER," as a practical matter I have to admit it's tough to imagine just switching back. I have some contacts, but no one I see or talk to very often. Being 50 and trying to land an ER job, with 10 years of UC experience? I mean... maybe. I guess.

So, what ideas and opinions do you have? I'm not totally sure there's even a question in here, but seeing what people think should be interesting. I might be perfectly happy being Urgent Care Guy indefinitely. I might switch to some other specialty entirely, taking a slight pay cut or otherwise accepting new-hire conditions. But if there is a specific strategy that would make the ER easier to get back to, it would be nice to plan for it.

I've just been thinking the same thing :(

Great advice above^.

If UC meets your lifestyle, family goals and, for the most part, your professional needs....then great! I agree that a couple of PRN shifts a month could provide with either 1) an ED fix, or 2) to confirm or deny your desires to make the switch back to the ED with minimal to no risk to your current situation.

I gotta admit that I occasionally wonder if I should switch back from the ED to UC. The hours were better, the drug seekers less and the volume more acceptable to my 50 year old self.

What, out of curiosity, do you miss about the ED??

Archived