Personal statement advice

Hello, I've been working on my personal statement but having trouble with the structure. So far I've written why I want to be PA but wondering how to add my experience as a scribe into it? I first worked as an ER scribe to get exposure to a doctor. I then switched to scribe for a doctor at family clinic where I met a physician assistant who inspired me to become a PA. Where should I write about how my experience as a scribe will make me a good PA?

Here's what I have so far:

“Go be a doctor” was a constant thing I heard growing up in a Filipino household. My immigrant parents had their heart set on a better life for their children in America. They had many dreams for the five of us. They wanted me to be a doctor and I wanted to make them proud. After graduating from university I decided to take a gap year to volunteer, work, and study for the MCAT. I also made the decision to move back in with my family. I thought everything would fall into place, but it was only the beginning of an uphill battle. I found that I was always sleeping, had a lack of motivation, cried nightly, and was always sad. No matter how hard I tried to study for the MCAT all I wanted to do was lay in bed and waste my day away. I didn’t realize until later, but I developed depression. Every day I cried to myself, “I don’t want to be a doctor, I don’t even know what I want to be”.

To pull me out of bed, I applied for an ER medical scribe position at my local hospital. I told myself that if I wanted to be in healthcare I should immerse myself in the environment. I scribed for five ER physicians. On my first day at the ER, I met a physician assistant for the first time ever. I had no idea that they even existed! That was the extent of my intrigue and had tunnel vision for being a doctor. I left the ER and applied for another scribe position at a family clinic. I scribed for a doctor, but she worked alongside a physician assistant, Christie Heany, PA-C.

They worked together 2-3 days out of the week side-by-side. It was the perfect setting to compare the work of a physician assistant to a doctor. She would consult with the doctor, but it was her own choice on how to treat and diagnose a patient. Christie mused about physician assistant school and the training she received. She changed my perception of medicine. I have been walking along this path my parents forged for me to become a doctor, but I got lost along the way. I began piecing together my own path. I wanted to be a physician assistant.

Should I start writing about how my scribe experience will make me a good PA here?

On 10/12/2020 at 1:28 PM, buenasumilhig said:

Hello, I've been working on my personal statement but having trouble with the structure. So far I've written why I want to be PA but wondering how to add my experience as a scribe into it? I first worked as an ER scribe to get exposure to a doctor. I then switched to scribe for a doctor at family clinic where I met a physician assistant who inspired me to become a PA. Where should I write about how my experience as a scribe will make me a good PA?

Here's what I have so far:

“Go be a doctor” was a constant thing I heard growing up in a Filipino household. My immigrant parents had their heart set on a better life for their children in America. They had many dreams for the five of us. They wanted me to be a doctor and I wanted to make them proud. After graduating from university I decided to take a gap year to volunteer, work, and study for the MCAT. I also made the decision to move back in with my family. I thought everything would fall into place, but it was only the beginning of an uphill battle. I found that I was always sleeping, had a lack of motivation, cried nightly, and was always sad. No matter how hard I tried to study for the MCAT all I wanted to do was lay in bed and waste my day away. I didn’t realize until later, but I developed depression. Every day I cried to myself, “I don’t want to be a doctor, I don’t even know what I want to be”.

To pull me out of bed, I applied for an ER medical scribe position at my local hospital. I told myself that if I wanted to be in healthcare I should immerse myself in the environment. I scribed for five ER physicians. On my first day at the ER, I met a physician assistant for the first time ever. I had no idea that they even existed! That was the extent of my intrigue and had tunnel vision for being a doctor. I left the ER and applied for another scribe position at a family clinic. I scribed for a doctor, but she worked alongside a physician assistant, Christie Heany, PA-C.

They worked together 2-3 days out of the week side-by-side. It was the perfect setting to compare the work of a physician assistant to a doctor. She would consult with the doctor, but it was her own choice on how to treat and diagnose a patient. Christie mused about physician assistant school and the training she received. She changed my perception of medicine. I have been walking along this path my parents forged for me to become a doctor, but I got lost along the way. I began piecing together my own path. I wanted to be a physician assistant.

Should I start writing about how my scribe experience will make me a good PA here?

I certainly am not an expert on personal statements or applying to PA school so take what I say with a grain of salt. That being said it was my first time applying and I got accepted to my top program with 7 other interviews so far in this cycle. But I think the bulk of your personal statement should be WHY you want to be a PA. I used the first paragraph to introduce my story into how the PA profession sparked my interest but used the remaining essay stating WHY becoming a PA is meant for me. I also scribed if you want to message me and we brain storm more(: Hope this helps, sorry if it doesn't.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Honestly, I don't write my personal statement very well. I've always had trouble writing it. That's why I often turned for help to various services that could help me. The last time I found a review of the Payforessay service at https://essayservicescanner.com/payforessay-review/ and I really liked it and I did not regret it. They did everything very well. But I still want to learn to write independently.
I think your statement will be a great example for me and it will help me

Edited by Farede

I've heard this said in other groups and I've definitely thought of it myself and I say this with good intentions; I don't think it's a good idea to post your work and your story on platforms where the honor system isn't adequately upheld. I suggest finding trustable people to ask or advisors/writing labs/tutors from institutes or services like mentioned above for specific advice without worrying about the ill intentions of others. You never want your own narrative and work to be used in anyway without you knowing---I'd stick with asking general formatting questions if I were in your position.