Hello everyone! So I have the privilege of being accepted to two PA schools! But now I am having a hard time choosing a school. I was initially accepted to Thomas Jefferson- East Falls (which is in Philly) two months ago. I was recently pulled off the waitlist at Charleston Southern University ( in SC). The Philly school is one hour away from me and would be closer to my family and friends, but living down south was a dream of mine for awhile now and I think decreasing distractions would be good for me. I made extensive pros and cons lists for each school. I am leaning towards the Charleston school, because of the smaller faculty to student ratio and I love the culture of the program, but am not sure if this would be a big mistake since it is provisional accreditation status while the TJU one has been accredited continued status since 1995. The Charleston one is also 24 months long and starts in January, while the Philly one is 25 months long and starts in July, so I would finish 7 months earlier if I go to CSU. TJU offers ten five week clinical rotations including two family medicine rotations, one elective, and one surgical elective. CSU offers nine 5 week rotations including two electives. Both offer rotations within the 60 mile radius. The living expensive and tuition are about equal. 

Would it be foolish for me to choose the provisional school over the continuedly accredited school? If I would decide to move back to PA, would it be a lot harder for me to find a job if I go to CSU, or does it not matter what PA school you attend as long as you pass your PANCE? 

I have to decide by tomorrow morning, so I would appreciate any advice or insight you can give me!! 

No one can really help you here, unfortunately. There are few opportunities in life to try a new area of the country and this may be one of them for you. I went to a program with provisional accreditation and it was fine. We had a very experienced program director and that made all of the difference. 

Edited by UGoLong

56 minutes ago, UGoLong said:

No one can really help you here, unfortunately. There are few opportunities in life to try a new area of the country and this may b one of them for you. I went to a program with provisional accreditation and it was fine. We had a very experienced program director and that made all of the difference. 

Thank you for this! I was a little concerned about it being provisional status, but as long as I can sit for the PANCE, it should not matter, correct? Do employers care if you went to a provisional program vs a well-established one? Would you say it is a lot more difficult to find a job in your home state after attending an out-of-state program? 

To me, the primary concern for a provisional program is whether or not they have their act together to prepare you well and have a network of good clinical sites for your rotations. Mine did but I can't speak for yours. The key for us was that we had a very experienced program director who had spent years running another program in another state.

It shouldn't matter very much where you go to school as far as jobs go. I am not sure if that is the case for applying to PA residencies but I have no evidence either way.

If you are thinking of moving back to your home town, hopefully you can get at least one rotation back there to make contacts. I've been an educator for about 5 years now and have seen many of our graduates go all over the country.

Reading between the lines, you are concerned about not going to the local, established school. Pay attention to your gut; you may have some hunches that suggests that's the place for you to go.

Edited by UGoLong
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, UGoLong said:

To me, the primary concern for a provisional program is whether or not they have their act together to prepare you well and have a network of good clinical sites for your rotations. Mine did but I can't speak for yours. The key for us was that we had a very experienced program director who had spent years running another program in another state.

It shouldn't matter very much where you go to school as far as jobs go. I am not sure if that is the case for applying to PA residencies but I have no evidence either way.

If you are thinking of moving back to your home town, hopefully you can get at least one rotation back there to make contacts. I've been an educator for about 5 years now and have seen many of our graduates go all over the country.

Reading between the lines, you are concerned about not going to the local, established school. Pay attention to your gut; you may have some hunches that suggests that's the place for you to go.

I would be the fourth class entering the provisional school and they had zero areas of noncompliance during their last ARC-PA meeting. They graduated one class so far and their first time PANCE rate was 96% with a 0% attrition rate which makes me confident in how they are implementing their program. I honestly have hunches both ways. If I don't attend the SC one, I may never have the opportunity to live in the south again. If I stay in my home state, I will have until July to prepare for a good program. That being said, my views and learning style align more with the CSU school so I think that is ultimately where I will go!

The CSU program entering their 4th class, then they should have it together enough by now to provide a good experience.  Especially, if they have an experienced program director.  So, I wouldn't worry about provisional accreditation status.  Future employers will have no idea of what the status of the program was.  

Personally, I would take the opportunity to move away just for the experience.  However, realize that PA school can be mentally taxing and not being near friends/family could be tough.  

You pick whichever you feel will give you the best overall experience.

• Upvote 1