This is why we take ATLS...

16 yr old male brought in by ems in c-spine precautions after what is reported as a moderate t-bone mva. patient was front seat passenger and struck that side. was restrained and ambulatory at scene. on cell phone when I walk in room. 

ok trauma, alert...whatever....

exam:

minimal tachy, like 105. ok that buys you 2 IVs,  labs and cxr. sao2 95%. nad

R chest wall with minimal lateral /posterior ttp without ecchymosis, deformity, crepitus, or inflam.

U/S FAST NL. remainder of trauma exam nl. collar/backboard removed. 

Given IV fluids, zofran for nausea, and fentanyl for pain.

CXR no PTX, hazy right chest findings suspicious for pulmonary contusion.

labs trauma labs nl aside from ast/alt both in 600 range....ok, mechanism plus pulmonary contusion, plus elevated transaminases gets you CT chest/abd/pelvis with contrast.....

drum roll please: multiple posterior rib fxs on 9-11 on R. Contained/subcapsular liver hematoma, sacral fx.....mind you pt still on cell phine in minimal distress.....transferred to regional peds trauma receiving facility....

go with your gut folks and follow the algorithm....it would have been easy to send this pt home with minimal workup....I later saw pix of the car. NOT a minor MVA. significant passenger space intrusion on R front passenger side....which tells me something about the crappy ems report, but that is a story for another time...

• Upvote 3

Great example of why information needs to be given on amount of compartment compromise.  Another pet peeve?  Tourniquets without noting time of placement, especially if rural.  With all the scan capability now we're also realizing that some internal decapitations are surviving to hospital arrival/assessment.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Good catch.  In this day of cell phone cameras why didn't EMS show you pics of the cars?  I even remember when we took Polaroids to show hospital staff.  Guess I'm spoiled by the EMS crews where I work.

one of the parents later showed me pix...after the dx was made...

4 hours ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

Great example of why information needs to be given on amount of compartment compromise.  Another pet peeve?  Tourniquets without noting time of placement, especially if rural.  With all the scan capability now we're also realizing that some internal decapitations are surviving to hospital arrival/assessment.

TK needs to be written on forehead with time!

7 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Good catch.  In this day of cell phone cameras why didn't EMS show you pics of the cars?  I even remember when we took Polaroids to show hospital staff.  Guess I'm spoiled by the EMS crews where I work.

Same page, although if you don't have an agency issued phone there can be some issues with taking photos in your personal cell (supposedly). At least that's what we were always told.

Picture tells a thousand words etc etc

• Like 1