University of La Verne 2020-2021 Application Cycle

Hi! I applied 6/08, emailed admissions a few questions on 6/19, and heard back on July 1. I was told that the application review process begins after 10/01 (no rolling admissions), initial communication from the admissions committee will be made via email, and some post-interview communications are sent through the mail. Good luck this cycle!

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, jchavz said:

I just applied last minute to the program, but my mentor said they don't start review until Oct 1 (no rolling admission). My mentor was part of the faculty admissions committee a few years a go. Good luck to all of us!

I applied early September, I think their goal is to send out interview invites by November from what i've read and they have reviewed in alphabetical order in the past. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone! 

Congrats on the interviews! I was accepted to ULV last cycle and I can't tell you how great this program is. They go above and beyond for their students and I feel like I am getting a great education.

As for the interview, they likely won't tell you much about the format other than it is on Zoom. (They haven't told us what it will be like for you all, but they also didn't tell us what the format would be like before my in-person interview either). If you have any program specific questions please ask away, just don't ask what my stats are because I don't remember and my personal opinion is that once you get an interview, you are more than your stats and they want to know you as a person!

Congratulations again and GOOD LUCK!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gotmilk said:

Hi Everyone! 

Congrats on the interviews! I was accepted to ULV last cycle and I can't tell you how great this program is. They go above and beyond for their students and I feel like I am getting a great education.

As for the interview, they likely won't tell you much about the format other than it is on Zoom. (They haven't told us what it will be like for you all, but they also didn't tell us what the format would be like before my in-person interview either). If you have any program specific questions please ask away, just don't ask what my stats are because I don't remember and my personal opinion is that once you get an interview, you are more than your stats and they want to know you as a person!

Congratulations again and GOOD LUCK!

Thank you very much for posting @Gotmilk. I'd love to know how your first year has been so far, especially given the pandemic. Can you give us a quick perspective on what daily life looks like for a PA-S1 at ULV? Were you a local resident or did you move to La Verne to attend the PA program? How is the surrounding area? Besides the amazing faculty, what is your favorite aspect of the program at ULV? The least favorite? Being a newer program, do you feel supported and have ample resources for achieving success in the program (given there are no PANCE pass rates available yet)? And lastly, why did you pick La Verne?

Thanks again!

On 11/4/2020 at 1:16 PM, KortneyDaly said:

Thank you very much for posting @Gotmilk. I'd love to know how your first year has been so far, especially given the pandemic. Can you give us a quick perspective on what daily life looks like for a PA-S1 at ULV? Were you a local resident or did you move to La Verne to attend the PA program? How is the surrounding area? Besides the amazing faculty, what is your favorite aspect of the program at ULV? The least favorite? Being a newer program, do you feel supported and have ample resources for achieving success in the program (given there are no PANCE pass rates available yet)? And lastly, why did you pick La Verne?

Thanks again!

Hi @KortneyDaly and other interviewees!

I will try to get though as many of these questions as I can between classes! And If I miss something or you would like to know more let me know! 

We started our program at the end of August, so we just finished our second month. Our classes are taught in system based modules so all of our classes will be focused on the same system at the same time (give or take a week). For example, we just finished up Derm and took our A&P, Patho, and Physical Assessment exam this week and then next week we will take our gen med and pharmacology exams. As far as classes we are doing mostly synchronous zoom lectures with the occasional asynchronous lecture. We are meeting in person in small groups, usually 9 students, for physical assessment class which is where we practice our clinical skills. When we meet in person we are wearing masks, face shields, and occasionally gowns. The PA Program does not meet on campus, we have our own building that is specific for PA students. We have class Monday through Thursday with Fridays off. Fridays we keep available for group meetings, guest lectures, etc. I am not sure if we will only have class 4 days a week every trimester or just the first one. I would like to say that the staff in this program have truly gone above and beyond making sure we are doing okay in virtual learning. They have tons of resources we can use and they are constantly checking in with us and asking for feedback.

I am from Orange County but I decided to move closer to campus and my classmates. I currently live in Claremont about 10 minutes from campus. I know most of my cohort lives pretty close too. The surrounding area is nice, there are lots of shops and places for food and COFFEE!!! Like anywhere, there are some surrounding areas that are a little rough around the edges, but I have never felt unsafe. 

I think my favorite part about ULV is that we feel like a family. From my classmates, to the professors and the front office, I really feel like I can reach out to any of them. I also really like that ULV values mental health. For example, like I said earlier we have Fridays off. Out didactic year is a little longer, but personally I think it is worth it. They also are really big on inclusivity. For example, in our classes we learn about how to medically treat patients from varying ethnic backgrounds and socionomic statuses and the biases that providers can have about these types of patients and how to not have those biases as providers. Additionally, there are people in our cohort who have sleeves of tattoos or facial piercings and they don't require the tattoos to be covered or the piercings removed for class (rotations might be different but I don't know). They also are really big on teaching to accommodate all learning styles. For example, we took a learning style quiz and some people learned more kinesthetically and some were more auditory so they try to make sure the way they teach reflects that. I would say my least favorite part of the program is that I miss being able to interact with my classmates.

I touched on this a little above but I feel 100% supported by this program. They have a ton of resources for us ranging from OSMOSIS to PAEasy question banks. I have no doubt my classmates and I will pass the PANCE. The cohorts above us have sat for the PACKRAT and from what I have heard the majority of the students have done very well, so that is another positive indication about passing PANCE scores. 

I picked the University of La Verne for many reasons, many of which are listed above. I also chose this program because it is close to my family, which is my support system. I loved the family feel of a small program and I loved the fact that it was a new program. 

Please reach out with anymore questions!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU and for those who get accepted please feel free to reach out to me down the road!

• Like 6

Thank you @Gotmilk very much for taking the time to respond to my specific questions and for writing such a thorough response! Your regard for the faculty, students, and PA program is well received and I am even more excited to have the opportunity to interview at ULV and be part of the Leo family!

Good luck with your classes!

Edited by KortneyDaly

On 11/5/2020 at 6:33 PM, KortneyDaly said:

Thank you @Gotmilk very much for taking the time to respond to my specific questions and for writing such a thorough response! Your regard for the faculty, students, and PA program is well received and I am even more excited to have the opportunity to interview at ULV and be part of the Leo family!

Good luck with your classes!

No problem! I am glad I could help! Good Luck on your interviews:)

• Like 1