DMS/Doctoral PA degree salary increase?

It seems like over the past few years doctoral degree for PA is gaining popularity and there are already some schools that offer it requiring only 1-1.5 years.

Obviously, the benefit of being called Dr. is nice. But i am wondering if there would be any substantial benefit in salary increase or moving up the management ladder that you can expect from getting a doctoral degree in PA/DMS?

• Like 1

You can make more through the VA for basic practice. I want to say that the only purpose for a PA doctorate if for administration or teaching. Some of the hospital administration for my network make 7 figure salaries but most make as much as a regular PA salary, the trade off being that you dont have to see patients. Its a good option for those who get into medicine but get burnt out after witnessing decades of disease and dying. 

The govt jobs(VA, CDC, state dept, FBI, CIA, prisons, etc) pay more for those with doctoral degrees.

The doctorate also makes you more competitive in an area with lots of DNPs. 

It does give a big boost to those working in administration, teaching, or leadership positions. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

https://www.medscape.com/slideshow/2020-compensation-physician-assist-6012656

according to the medscape salary report, those with a doctorate do have a higher salary.

also more pay for CAQ.

I am guessing a confounding factor here is also years in practice. Those who have been around for longer are more likely to have acquired a caq or doctorate. 

2 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

also more pay for CAQ.

I am guessing a confounding factor here is also years in practice. Those who have been around for longer are more likely to have acquired a caq or doctorate. 

True, but on average those with a doctorate degree earned as much as those with a bachelors on average more than those with a bachelors, who you would assume would be among the oldest practicing. So it seems it would confer at least some additional benefit. Or maybe those with a doctorate are just more ambitious requiring a higher salary.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

True, but on average those with a doctorate degree earned as much as those with a bachelors on average more than those with a bachelors, who you would assume would be among the oldest practicing. So it seems it would confer at least some additional benefit. Or maybe those with a doctorate are just more ambitious requiring a higher salary.

the ones with a residency, a doctorate, and a CAQ are the real hard chargers....:)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

https://www.medscape.com/slideshow/2020-compensation-physician-assist-6012656

according to the medscape salary report, those with a doctorate do have a higher salary.

I am looking at this slideshow, however the median income for PhD PA is only a few k higher, nothing substantial and is probably only due to longer work experience of these PhD professionals not the degree itself.

Am i missing something here?

7 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

also more pay for CAQ.

thats what i was suspecting too. 

Don't get me wrong, I think PhD PA do justify a higher paid. It's just it is not showing on the data. I see that you are also a PhD PA yourself 🙂 Mind if I ask if you personally experience any increase in salary post PhD graduation?