Lol I used to work there. Good job fresh out of school to have as a resume booster but other than that you’re just a number. They want you to feel grateful for the name and feel like that means they can underpay you in exchange. I left and to this day one of my best friends still works there as a PA and I take home $45k more than he does with 3yrs less experience than him. I will say, they do acknowledge PA presence but it isn’t with pay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, mgriffiths said:

It's an academic hospital with a big name.  Anyone that works there must feel "privileged" to work there, which makes the salary cut worth it...barf.  It's a status thing.

3 hours ago, NYCPAC said:

Lol I used to work there. Good job fresh out of school to have as a resume booster but other than that you’re just a number. They want you to feel grateful for the name and feel like that means they can underpay you in exchange. I left and to this day one of my best friends still works there as a PA and I take home $45k more than he does with 3yrs less experience than him. I will say, they do acknowledge PA presence but it isn’t with pay

The worst part of this is when she said its not negotiable despite having years of experience in that specific field of surgery. According to them, they go by a scale. I can't imagine what a new grad PA would make over there. 

On 6/25/2020 at 2:01 PM, NYCPAC said:

7yrs ago as a new grad on the IM Hospitalist PA svc working nights I made like $93k. Doubt it’s any better now lol

For such a high cost of living place, i'm actually quite surprised. I guess as long as new grads or people take it, they'll continue with this..

On 6/27/2020 at 11:48 AM, kang1208 said:

NYC is too saturated, living expense is high. Like anywhere in NYC hospitals, PAs is just a number...very replaceable. Problem is, there is a hiring freeze due to hospital revenue deficits. Not sure if anywhere across NYC hospitals are hiring right now.

They are def hiring. Might not be the best of times to find a new job tho. New grads will suffer tremendously. 

7 hours ago, vb315 said:

A few of my classmates took jobs with NYP after we graduated last year. One of my close friends started at 100k in ortho-spine, which was originally supposed to be 95k but it got bumped up just before she started.

Good grief...I'm not a new grad, and wasn't when I took the job (I've lost count, but somewhere around 4 years of PA experience when I accepted) but in Southern MI I make $120k base salary in general orthopedics with a pretty sweet setup - no call, minimal rounding, office schedule isn't ridiculous (8-4pm and I'm out the door by 4:15pm EVERY DAY), surgery days done by 2-3pm unless there's an add-on from a trauma (pretty rare and only occurs if doc is on call, I don't even have to stay and assist, but I always do), zero weekends or nights, etc.  I can imagine in NY that the low salary (with a significantly higher cost of living) is coupled with a significantly more demanding schedule...and honestly I don't even see living in NYC as a perk, that would be a negative to me 🙃

1 hour ago, mgriffiths said:

Good grief...I'm not a new grad, and wasn't when I took the job (I've lost count, but somewhere around 4 years of PA experience when I accepted) but in Southern MI I make $120k base salary in general orthopedics with a pretty sweet setup - no call, minimal rounding, office schedule isn't ridiculous (8-4pm and I'm out the door by 4:15pm EVERY DAY), surgery days done by 2-3pm unless there's an add-on from a trauma (pretty rare and only occurs if doc is on call, I don't even have to stay and assist, but I always do), zero weekends or nights, etc.  I can imagine in NY that the low salary (with a significantly higher cost of living) is coupled with a significantly more demanding schedule...and honestly I don't even see living in NYC as a perk, that would be a negative to me 🙃

Yeah, most people are moving out of NYC to jersey, Connecticut and PA. PA as a state is notoriously lower than NYC as well. Can't win. I know new grads would be happy with anything above 90k, wayyyy under the market though. 

14 hours ago, mgriffiths said:

Sounds like a great job! They definitely take advantage of the new grads who want to move to the city. Another one of my close friends from PA school took a job in Jersey City (or somewhere close) as a NICU PA and she started at 110k. I don't know the specifics of either of my friends' daily schedules, call, etc, and the salary figure isn't the end-all.

On 7/1/2020 at 1:30 AM, vb315 said:

Sounds like a great job! They definitely take advantage of the new grads who want to move to the city. Another one of my close friends from PA school took a job in Jersey City (or somewhere close) as a NICU PA and she started at 110k. I don't know the specifics of either of my friends' daily schedules, call, etc, and the salary figure isn't the end-all.

It's a tough place for new grads in NJ. NYC is a dime a dozen. Hence more new grads in NYC and lower pay I suppose. Same with Philly. 

COVID placed a hiring freeze on every company out there. Hard to negotiate during these times. 

• 3 weeks later...