Leaving a job off your resume

So basically I recently resigned in lieu of termination over something that was an honest error. I thought I heard the physician say to order a CT scan with 3-D reconstructions when she really meant she wanted the 3D image to be taken off of an old image. It was an honest mistake.   They were nice enough to let me resign. I am applying for other jobs I decided it would be best to leave that off the resume, but I am finding that it is very difficult to disassociate yourself with an institution once you are in the system and your insurance companies are related to that name. I changed the address of my DEA license and NPI number to my home address. I think I’m about to get an offer soon and now I am afraid about being caught without putting that on there. When they asked why I was not currently working I told them that it was because my mother had passed away and I needed some time to regroup which is also true. Would you tell the employer when they give you  The offer that you noticed that you made a mistake when you reviewed the printed resume they gave you at home or would you just go online and update the information truthfully and see if anyone questions it. Or would you do nothing at all unless they asked? Help! 

You incorrectly ordered a CT Scan, and lost your job as a result?  That seems a little extreme, there weren't other disciplinary or performance issues factoring into their decision?  

If I had a dollar for every emergency room provider who incorrectly or erroneously ordered a CT Scan, I would be a very wealthy man!

• Upvote 3

It does seem odd to lose a job over an incorrectly ordered CT that, assuming, caused no harm to the patient.  

It could be an "honest" mistake that you didn't update you CV as you were trying to find a job.  You may have overlooked it.  I have applied for jobs, knowing my CV wasn't up to date, simply because I was on my cell and saw a job that looked good and didn't want to take the time to get to a computer and up date my CV.  I was not trying to hide the job.  I've had PRN jobs, that I hated every minute of, and I don't list those.  

I'm guessing you'll get split answers on this.  If you omitted the job because you are purposely trying to cover up something (disciplinary action), then this could go badly for you should they figure it out.  If you omitted the job because it wasn't a good experience and don't see how listing the job would have any change in getting the job offer or not, then ooops, you left it off your CV.  Acknowledging though exactly what you said, it is hard to hide a job because there is a provider trail (NPI, DEA, insurance credentialing, malpractice insurance, CAQH, etc) that will always lead back to it.  

How long where you at this job? 

• Upvote 1

Some credentialing applications for hospital systems specifically ask if you've voluntarily resigned in order to avoid termination in the past 7-10 years, among other very specific questions. Just keep that in mind going forward. 

Learn from your mistakes and grow. It's called practicing medicine, after all.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Condolences, and good luck to you. 

• Upvote 1

How long were you there for? Honestly seems like an excuse they used to get rid of you. Whether they weren't happy with your performance or the clinic realized they don't need you right now with everything happening, I don't know. Did the patient get unnecessary radiation? Yes. Is it a huge deal in the grand scheme of things? No.