Urgent Care

26 minutes ago, Jealsa said:

Would like to hear about the experience of PAs in Urgent Care facilities (hours, patients/day, work-life balance, etc.). I haven't seen any forums addressing this care setting. Thanks in advance.

really depends on the UC. some are quite humane, others are meat mills. Everywhere I have done it was 12 hr shifts, 30+ pts/shift. 

some are basically family practice overflow, others are basically ERs. I worked at one that was open 24/7 and took care of ODs, MIs, strokes, etc. Stabilize and ship. Others are just runny nose and uti clinics.

lots of variety. 

I did PRN work for about 1.5 years at an UC in KY that seemed to focus on the medicaid population.  13 hour days, ~ 3 pt's/hour, low acuity.  A few folks used it for their primary care as the UC was owned by a doc who had an IM practice across the street.  Mostly URI, UTI, mild asthma, some belly pain.  A few procedures: simple lacs and simple I&D's.