All applicants have been called!!

Congradulation to all that were accepted.

I did not get accepted but I am ok with their decision. I had plan A, plan B and plan C. So there is no time for crying. I have a AA in pre-pharmacy. I am finishing my bachelor in biology this term so my future looks promising. I also got accepted to MDC nursing program for the fall. So all in all I am happy.

Wish for all to have a blessed future.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got in and didn't think it was all that hard. It does no good to complain. It is my understanding that selection is based on GPA, Test Score, degrees earned (isn't this what they've been telling us all long? There's a scorecard...just like almost any other grad school), as well as how you handle the interview and your determination to get in. If you don't have the grades and you don't know how to answer Q's in an interview, then don't expect to get in. I was asked the same types of Qs about "what would you do if.." They are hypotheticals and are much more telling of a person's character than any other type of Q. I think they are also looking for very outgoing type of people. If you are gonna sit there stoically and just answer their Q's, it isnt going to get you very far...there is an art to managing an interview, but it really isn't all that complicated. Also, it appears that those students that showed determination through the application process, were the ones more likely to get in. I suggest spending a lot of time around school and befriending faculty and their assistants. However, keep in mind the following: there is a huge subjective element here, either they like you or they don't, and either they think you are suited for THEIR program or they think you are not. That may or may not be something you can change or affect.

Medical Experience: Shadowing

Degree Attained: Graduate degree (not in medical field though)

Current Career: Non-medical

Number of times Applied: Just this one time

GPA: 4.0 across the board (I was also told I had a very high test score).

About the exam - I'm glad they change it every year which avoids the unfair advantage a re-taker would have, and also reduces the possibility of cheating. I was also somewhat surprised by the selection of Q's. However, there is a method to this madness. How well would you be prepared in a situation that you did NOT prepare for? Think about it. This is critical. Also, these general knowledge Q's test the well-roundedness of a candidate which is extremely important. We were all in the same boat in there, and yet in spite of that some of us did poorly and some of us did extremely well. It doesn't necessarily separate the best students from the poor ones, as much as it separates the cry-babies from those that "keep it real."

I got in and didn't think it was all that hard. It does no good to complain. It is my understanding that selection is based on GPA, Test Score, degrees earned (isn't this what they've been telling us all long? There's a scorecard...just like almost any other grad school), as well as how you handle the interview and your determination to get in. If you don't have the grades and you don't know how to answer Q's in an interview, then don't expect to get in. I was asked the same types of Qs about "what would you do if.." They are hypotheticals and are much more telling of a person's character than any other type of Q. I think they are also looking for very outgoing type of people. If you are gonna sit there stoically and just answer their Q's, it isnt going to get you very far...there is an art to managing an interview, but it really isn't all that complicated. Also, it appears that those students that showed determination through the application process, were the ones more likely to get in. I suggest spending a lot of time around school and befriending faculty and their assistants. However, keep in mind the following: there is a huge subjective element here, either they like you or they don't, and either they think you are suited for THEIR program or they think you are not. That may or may not be something you can change or affect.

Medical Experience: Shadowing

Degree Attained: Graduate degree (not in medical field though)

Current Career: Non-medical

Number of times Applied: Just this one time

GPA: 4.0 across the board (I was also told I had a very high test score).

About the exam - I'm glad they change it every year which avoids the unfair advantage a re-taker would have, and also reduces the possibility of cheating. I was also somewhat surprised by the selection of Q's. However, there is a method to this madness. How well would you be prepared in a situation that you did NOT prepare for? Think about it. This is critical. Also, these general knowledge Q's test the well-roundedness of a candidate which is extremely important. We were all in the same boat in there, and yet in spite of that some of us did poorly and some of us did extremely well. It doesn't necessarily separate the best students from the poor ones, as much as it separates the cry-babies from those that "keep it real."

I don't think people are "crying" and I personally take offense to that choice of words (unless there was a misunderstanding). If you look at the pattern, people are primarily discouraged because they feel as though there were misinformed and/or misled. Also, if you look at the stats there is no rhyme or reason as to how people are being selected. If GPA is the only criteria than why bother with an interview?? As for the interview, I'm a polished corporate professional and have presented in front of board members, CEO's, etc. My answers were as quick and precise as could be for such vague and open ended questions and with confidence and assurance. The fact is with my background (if they cared to look at that since they did ask for it) and the near completion of my BA, should be evidence enough that I'm quite comfortable and responsible when it comes to academic environments! So I don't agree that it is solely on GPA, and I don't agree that it is solely on your ability to perform as a PA. It could be whether or not you had enough spare time to suck up to the staff, versus many of us who have jobs while working on upper level degrees. One thing for sure is it's not on merit! One valuable point for all (if you haven't figured it out already) is that when it's all said and done the dramatic difference in MDC tuition they brag about, is actualy marginal at best. After you've paid MDC tuition, you then have to go back and take the bridge program (through NOVA oddly enough) for your BA in PA studies (more money), then you have to enroll in a masters program which is typically online if you want to keep working (even more money since online is quite expensive). So when you add it all up (which I basically did) the difference is maybe a few thousand dollars versus going for the same amount of time and virtually being done with school when you graduate. Just something to keep in mind for anyone out there with a bachelors and thinking of applying to MDC. And if you think you can get by with an AS in PA, think again. ARNP's, CRNA's, etc as of 2013 are ALL required to have docterate degrees! Lastly, I agree that you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket which is a mistake I made, but as a result I will be applying to all Florida PA programs in 2013 (except MDC of course, since there's no need now).

Im not sure why you responded as you did since I never said it was based solely on GPA. In fact I made it amply clear that it is based on many factors. If it's not based on merit, what is it based on? Random chance? Did you ever think for a moment that perhaps those who were accepted are more qualified than you? (Your impression of yourself as being a "polished corporate professional" is relative; and "near completion of a BA"...is that suppose to be impressive? Many of us have numerous degrees, some even at the graduate level.)

The only one who is doing the misleading and misinforming is you regarding what is required to work as a PA. This school's AS is accredited in this state and others (I already looked into California as well which accepts it). Finishing the program allows you to sit for the national certification exam (PANCE). If you pass that, you apply to the State boards, and assuming you are cleared, you become certified/licensed in that state.

read this http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0400-0499/0458/Sections/0458.347.html

and this https://www.flrules.org/gateway/RuleNo.asp?title=PHYSICIAN%20ASSISTANT&ID=64B8-30.003

and this https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ChapterHome.asp?Chapter=64B15-6

and this http://www.mdc.edu/medical/aht/pa/pa_accreditation.asp

Obviously you didn't do your homework. Florida law accepts any accredited school. MDC is accredited. We therefore will be able to sit for the PANCE and be licensed to practice in this state. No BA or Masters is needed. We are not affiliated with Nurse Practitioners in any way, shape, or form, and so any comparison is irrelevant.

Please refrain from misleading the public just b/c you are upset about being rejected from the program. Thank you.

Might wanna double check yer facts there Pete, althoughNP's will become a doctorate program, anyone with a masters will begrandfathered in and will continue to practice and keep licensure with justthat (and I believe it’s not until 2014/2015 not 2013). Additionally there isno bridge program at MDC with Nova. There is an option to complete your BS atMDC after graduation should you choose, and there MAY be a bridge programonline with FIU if you would like to pursue your masters in 2015. I know manygraduates who are successful PA's with their AS from MDC and the whole purposebehind getting your masters isn’t for increasing your earning potential, it’sfor increasing your knowledge. Many students I know already have their mastersin another field, and many more pursue masters in other health fields such asnutrition and epidemiology, not necessarily PA studies. At a two year total ofunder 30K, one would be hard-pressed to find another program at better value.Nothing in life is perfect, but I truly believe that it’s not the school thatmakes the PA, it’s the individual. It rings particularly true that you get outof the program what you put into it. On a lighter note, congratulations tothose admitted for c/o 2014!

I don't think people are "crying" and I personally take offense to that choice of words (unless there was a misunderstanding). If you look at the pattern, people are primarily discouraged because they feel as though there were misinformed and/or misled. Also, if you look at the stats there is no rhyme or reason as to how people are being selected. If GPA is the only criteria than why bother with an interview?? As for the interview, I'm a polished corporate professional and have presented in front of board members, CEO's, etc. My answers were as quick and precise as could be for such vague and open ended questions and with confidence and assurance. The fact is with my background (if they cared to look at that since they did ask for it) and the near completion of my BA, should be evidence enough that I'm quite comfortable and responsible when it comes to academic environments! So I don't agree that it is solely on GPA, and I don't agree that it is solely on your ability to perform as a PA. It could be whether or not you had enough spare time to suck up to the staff, versus many of us who have jobs while working on upper level degrees. One thing for sure is it's not on merit! One valuable point for all (if you haven't figured it out already) is that when it's all said and done the dramatic difference in MDC tuition they brag about, is actualy marginal at best. After you've paid MDC tuition, you then have to go back and take the bridge program (through NOVA oddly enough) for your BA in PA studies (more money), then you have to enroll in a masters program which is typically online if you want to keep working (even more money since online is quite expensive). So when you add it all up (which I basically did) the difference is maybe a few thousand dollars versus going for the same amount of time and virtually being done with school when you graduate. Just something to keep in mind for anyone out there with a bachelors and thinking of applying to MDC. And if you think you can get by with an AS in PA, think again. ARNP's, CRNA's, etc as of 2013 are ALL required to have docterate degrees! Lastly, I agree that you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket which is a mistake I made, but as a result I will be applying to all Florida PA programs in 2013 (except MDC of course, since there's no need now).

ANCC recommends a DNP by 2015, and not all will follow it. Partly because it is a recommendation, partly because some schools are accreditted by the NLN and not ANCC. The NBCRNA has set a mandatory doctorate for 2025.

This is what happened during my second interview.

I arrived at the Medical Campus early in April. I sat in the car next to my mother as I put the A/C on high. I was there an hour early so I just sat back and tried my hardest to relax my nerves. Around 15 people from friends to family members to even ex-wife were on alert of my big day. I turned off the phone as I wrote “I’m going in”. I stepped out of the car; the sun was beaming down on me without mercy. I walked towards my destiny.

I checked in with the Michelle and a guy that sat next to me in the exam was already there.

“Hey man”, your next? I asked

Yes, I’m the first one, actually were the first ones! He answered

There was this extremely pretty, hot Spanish girl with long black hair, skin tight jeans which revealed her amazing body. That eased my anxiousness, but then I saw Santana come out and greet the blonde haired pal. My heart started pounding and I felt every beat resonate throughout my body. I sat there fixing my tie every 5 minutes, standing up six times to drink water and rub my fingers dry against the top of my pants. The blonde haired dude came out with a smile and I asked how it went.

“They’re in a good mood, Massimini is being nice”, He said.

When my time came Professor La Roca came out to greet me, she walked in front without making much genuine effort to be nice. Once I got to the little cramped 18X18 Foot office I saw Massimini sitting to my right, Mr. Santana directly in front of me, La Roca to my left and Kyrais at the corner behind the round desk. I sat down and my heart wanted to come out of my chest, I was trying to catch my breath.

In the time span of 5 minutes, can you tell me about yourself? Asked Massimini

Well my name is Circuit Man/ know it all and I have been at Miami Dade sense 2006, I have this many years of experience, my life story etc… And this is my second time applying and I’m here to demonstrate to you guys that no one wants this more than me. It’s my second time and I’m more determined than ever, this is my dream. They nodded their heads in approval or understanding of my passion as I conveyed it in my tone.(Hypocrites)

Why didn’t you get in last year? Asked Santana

(I don’t know you tell me you idiot)<<-- I felt like saying that but I simply explained that not much information was given when I saw Jackie and she just told me apply again it will show how determined you are and do more rounds with P.A.’s (B.S.)

The **** La Roca asks, what are you going to do if you don’t get in this time?

I’m going to apply again next year, I replied.

So you mean to tell me if we tell you know again this year, that you’re going to reapply again? (I can’t stand this woman).

Yes, I said.

Jimmy Santana was playing with his pencil and had a look of boredom and disinterest in his face. While Massimini seemed very interested and involved in my responses. (It seems strange, Last year Antonetti whom was sitting were Massimini is seemed disinterested and bored while Santana seemed interested and involved). It felt like a TV series, good cop bad cop only that this year they switched it up in the hopes of taking me by surprise.

How do we know you have what it takes to make it in this program?

I explained to them that I had what it took, and that although there may be smarter folks or folks with higher degrees that no one wanted this more than me and if I was given the chance I would show them.

So you’re not sure you’re going to get in? Asked Massimini

That’s not what I meant; I mean that’s my biggest dream if you allow me the opportunity.

“I’m sorry but I got to get back to this question, you mean you won’t apply to any other P.A. programs if you don’t get in to MDC? Why only here? Asked La Roca( SUKCOKINHELLUSTUPIDHROE)

Nope I’m going to stay at MDC this is where I started and this is where I’ll finish, I want to be a P.A. from Miami Dade. I answered in disbelief .

Anymore questions Massimin asked looking around the room

La roca? Nope

Kyris? No

Santana? What? Oh no he said as he stared at the top of the roof in contempt for how well mannered he was at the interview. (Looking up at the wall, hunched to the side, playing with a pencil, I thought he was going to take out his IPOD and start jamming in the middle of the interview.)

This concludes our interview we will be notifying people the second week of June, said Massimini. (Which was another damn lie, they started even calling people in last week of May)

I got out of there with a smile thinking I was in already, easy ambiguous questions no doubt I was in. A month later I find out I’m not.

THE END.

I agree with that statement. One must use caution on these forums. My read on your story Jp is that perhaps you came off as being a little too cocky. Confidence is good, but there's a fine line there. Also, blaming Jackie or anyone else for not knowing why you didn't get in was a bad idea. To me that would've been the perfect opportunity to show humility, and the ability to introspect, and at least proffer some reasons why you think you didn't get in last year (ie: reasons that were your fault, and not theirs). Instead of seizing that opportunity, you turned it into something that ultimately went against you.

But hey Jp, if you don't make it as a PA, you might have some luck as a journalist (assuming you can work on your English grammar/spelling skills). You gave me a good laugh on this gloomy rainy day. Thanks bud!

Not blaming anyone just telling a story with a few inside comments. I wish you all the best, i mean i dont have anything against you guys, why would I... You guys didnt do anything to me. But hey im glad it made you laugh i like to write. The day is pretty crappy, I dont plan to be a P.A. from MDC anymore or make friends with the staff so Im okay.

I am getting very annoyed at reading these posts.

Many of our professors and now our new program director were graduates of NOVA or Barry.

Our new Director was the President of FAPA.

MDC offers an affordable and competitive education for those who can handle it. Many of us have Master Degrees or are planning on doing the bridge program.

Being a PA means that your education doesnt end... you will always be required to keep current, so dont think school stops once you graduate.

Let me make one thing clear....

It is one thing to get into the program and a completely different thing to stay in the program.

Our campus may not be sprawling with all the amenities of Private school but the education, experience and connections you make here will last a life time. Our school prides itself on multicultural diversity. It doesnt matter if you are White, Hispanic, African American, Muslim, Hindi, Hatian, Russian, a foreign medical graduate or a Designer for the past 20 years (which I was).

If you can make it through this program, you can make it through anything. Congratulations to those who were accepted.

And if you were not accepted, keep strong. Have a plan A,B,C,D.... if you want this bad enough you will find a way. MDC isnt the only school. Try FIU, NOVA, or BARRY. Life shouldnt stop bc of road blocks.... these are minor obstacles in your path to becoming a stronger person.

Dina Garabedian

I am getting very annoyed at reading these posts.

Many of our professors and now our new program director were graduates of NOVA or Barry.

Our new Director was the President of FAPA.

MDC offers an affordable and competitive education for those who can handle it. Many of us have Master Degrees or are planning on doing the bridge program.

Being a PA means that your education doesnt end... you will always be required to keep current, so dont think school stops once you graduate.

Let me make one thing clear....

It is one thing to get into the program and a completely different thing to stay in the program.

Our campus may not be sprawling with all the amenities of Private school but the education, experience and connections you make here will last a life time. Our school prides itself on multicultural diversity. It doesnt matter if you are White, Hispanic, African American, Muslim, Hindi, Hatian, Russian, a foreign medical graduate or a Designer for the past 20 years (which I was).

If you can make it through this program, you can make it through anything. Congratulations to those who were accepted.

And if you were not accepted, keep strong. Have a plan A,B,C,D.... if you want this bad enough you will find a way. MDC isnt the only school. Try FIU, NOVA, or BARRY. Life shouldnt stop bc of road blocks.... these are minor obstacles in your path to becoming a stronger person.

Dina Garabedian

I wish I had a like button right about now...

Thank You for the inspirational words. Sometimes i wish my background would have been a Masters Degree in Oceanography..... Maybe they would have chosen me. An Art Teacher made it in. A Phlebotomist whom had been working for only 8 months, An Civil Engineer, A stay at home mom, a flight attendant, an English Teacher ect... I love Mr. Atkins story being a combat medic and coming over and joing this program, a solute all medical personel, Medics, Nurses, foregin doctors and firefighters whom have made it. I believe they deserve it, a plumber, electrician and mr. bacherlors in biology/ i dont work because i have parents with a good income i dont support. This is what this is all about, Maybe is just all an experiment, throw in a couple of people with superb medical experience like medics, throw in some foreign doctors, throw in people with unrealated degrees or professions----- mix it all up and see what happens.

You really don't need to support it, the application didn't say they wanted people with medical backgrounds only. I personally think that it makes for a diverse class of intelligent people with different backgrounds. Sometimes people travel down many paths before they know exactly what it is that they want to do and sometimes people just happen to have many different passions. Just because you may have been in the medical field longer than me does not mean that you're naturally going to be a better PA. I may not know a lot of the things you already know now but trust me I'll catch up, and I'm pretty sure the engineer and the school teacher will do fine as well.

• 4 months later...

A lot of the people who are in the program this year don't have a bachelors degree (I only have an AA), actually I believe that one or two people in the class don't have any prior degrees but I may be wrong. I think that they are probably more open to people without degrees now because they started their own PA bachelors bridge program in the past few years.

Archived